"Visa runs for dummies"

In my case it wasn’t “forgetting”, just “not knowing”… :wink:

It sounds from this and all i’ve read before that Taiwan doesn’t enforce the rule about people having to visit the tax office is they stay more than 6 months in a given calendar year…

You mean the 6-month rule does not apply to people on visa exempt entry? Or are you just confirming that it is not enforced?

I’ve heard of something called “long-stay”, which is set up to invite (attract) retired people from Japan to live in Taiwan (not sure whether also from other countries - i’ve only hear about this in regards to Japanese citizens). At present the maximum stay is 6 months, but in the course of some incidental meetings with Japanese citizens who have good connections in Taiwan i’ve heard mumblings to the effect that there efforts are being made to persuade the Taiwanese government to issue special long-stay visas for retired Japanese citizens who wish to spend their free time (mostly) in Taiwan.

Some questions that arise from more recent threads about visa runs:

Do you know which country this rule applies to that people can stay in Taiwan only for 30-days, visa exempt, and not get a tourist visa for a longer period of time?
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=96032&start=10
The poster there talks about a visa “for study” - from what i have seen, that is a visitor visa, and those can be changed into resident visas, according to the changes in the law a few years ago. Why the apprehension then? Are there some countries to whose citizens this does this not apply?

Thanks again!