Visa Types for SE Asian Tourists

Quick question.

We read all over the news about Vietnamese or Thais or whomever ‘escaping’ the hotel whilst on vacation in Taiwan.

Are they on a special tourist visa with movement restrictions?

Or are they on a regular tourist visa?

And, if their visa is still valid, how are they on the run, or fleeing?

Thanks

Many of them have visa free entry, and the time they get them have been extended recently as well. Part of the southbound policy.

On a visa obtained in coordination with a tour agency which makes it easier to obtain.

Taiwan can cancel anyone’s visa at will. The people ran away from their stated plans submitted in applying for visa and are not complying with visa.

1 Like

Can;t most of them stay 90 days or more without a visa anyways?

I think the visa is free but they still must submit an application with trip information like hotels, travel, etc. So if they say they are coming for 2 week vacation, then they probably get a 2 week visa.

But Taiwan can cancel it at will.

I don’t think that’s how it works. You don’t need a visa if you’re from many of those countries now. They usually just ask where you are staying and want to see a return ticket.

Maybe, but they why go with a travel agency? Why not just show up?

Seems like Taiwan would already be flooded daily with Vietnamese and Philippines and others if that easy. Especially from Philippines flights are like NT1500.

Why would they want to come here for?

To get job (illegal) and get money, neither of which is available for many people in Philippines.

Is it that worth chancing an illegal job when legal avenues are available?

Legal not readily available for most uneducated unexperienced and yes worth it if you need to feed your family.

Do you know Philippines? People are starving and will do anything for a very little money. They will kill for you for 2000 peso, around NT$1100.

Can you guarantee that?

Do you have 2000 peso?

Fyi

MOFA announces one-year extension of 14-day visa-free entry program for Brunei, Philippine, and Thai nationals
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-4334-7afae-2.html

Amend Online Application for ROC Travel Authorization Certificate for nationals of Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-152-274-8c0e2-2.html

I’ll dig if I have to

The “tourist” debacle is likely the tip of the iceberg of undocumented workers. Note how brokers have also gotten into the racket with international “students” too:

Ah, Taiwan. The more things (seem to) change, the more things stay the same!

Guy

Pretty sure they can just show up.

Uh, no—at least for Vietnamese passport holders. And further changes are apparently coming:

Guy

Vietnam isn’t included in the southbound policies I believe. But some countries like Philippines and thailand are. I’m pretty sure they can just come and get whatever time period of visa free status they are afforded. That’s the whole point, to attract people from those countries.

for Brunei, Philippine, and Thai nationals, it is a 14-day visa-free entry program.

Added
Holders of Brunei, Philippines, Russia and Thailand passports must have: A proof of accommodation (hotel) booking, host / sponsor’s contact information and sufficient travel funds.