Visa -> work or work -> visa?

Hello all,

First of all, let me say I’m so grateful for the wealth of information on this board, but despite having the same questions of half the people here, I’m not clear on visa protocol.

I’m planning on going to Taiwan to teach English very soon, but I am concerned with what I must do to reside legally in the country for more than 30 days. The two times I have been to Taiwan before, I had a 30 day tourist visa which suited me fine. However, I understand that if I’m working at an accredited school, then I must get a work permit (this is the “ARC” correct?). I am concerned about what sort of return ticket I will be required to show upon arriving in Taipei (what if I fly 1-way?), and what a DECLARATION of intention to work will mean at customs. Do I take my 30-day tourist visa and figure it out when I get there? Am I foolish to not have an employer lined up beforehand (aside from an inbox full of job offers)? What sort of difficulties, and legal RESPONSIBILITIES would I have, if the plan is to arrive and figure it out from there. I want to work for 1 year, but flexibility is very important to me. I don’t want to be deported, or waste money on plane tickets that I may not want to use. I also am not trying to defraud anyone, and I want to do it straight… I’m just not sure what is being asked of me by the government. Is there a way I can be sure of leaving the airport knowing I can stay for more than 30 days?

I would hope I can: Get a 30 visa, and find an employer to get my employment-visa paperwork during those 30 days that would make me set for my year of employment. However I seriously doubt it could be that simple, never mind that I’ll need to find some roomates and a place to live.

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I had a job before I got here, but my employer applied for the work permit only after I arrived. I went to the Taiwan Embassy (officially they have to call them Taiwan Economic and Cultural Representation offices due to pressure from the Beijing entity), but they gave me a visitor visa. So I flew in on that. I don’t think anyone asked me anything.

The downside to this is that you need to get the workpermit, then leave the country, apply for a resident visa, come back and then apply for a ARC. If you can wait for a couple of weeks, you could get a work permit sent to you and apply for the resident visa before coming here.

the best thing to do is get a 60 day visa from your local Taiwan representative. This will cost some money but then you’ll be able to convert that into a multiple entry visa when you get a job and an ARC.

DO NOT get a 30 day landing permit because these cannot be converted into multiple entry visa and it will mean a trip to HK to get a new visa anyway.

Uhm… if you talk to the local Taiwanese “embassy” where you are, they should be able to sort you out with a 60 day visa no problem, just explain to them that you’ve got a few job offers, but don’t know which one you want to accept. You might want to print out a few of the job offers and bring them with you. The work permit and the ARC isn’t the same thing, but a 60 day visa can be turned into an ARC once the work permit has been sorted out, but this can take a bit of time sometimes. The work permit is something that your employer applies for, while you have to apply for the ARC and most likely pay for it as well.

Thank you very much for this information!

I’m afraid I don’t have a couple of weeks… I gotta get the heck out of dodge, and it seems that is going to necessitate a visa run.

Because of that I envision: buying a 1-way ticket to Taipei, using my 30 days to find an employer, then having a nice weekend in Hong Kong where I will apply for a resident visa at the Taiwanese Embassy in Hong Kong using my newly acquired employer-paperwork (and $2000+ bank statements?), finally returning to Taiwan and applying for the ARC.

What privileges exactly does the ARC grant me and for how long? Does the duration vary?? Health insurance!?!

Am I still able to get a 30-day visa if I arrive without a departure ticket?

*spelling EDIT to end the madness below…

It means you can stay in the country.

Yeah, it’s determined by the work permit duration. I have a 3 year work permit, and thus a 3 year ARC.

ARC don’t grant health insurance as far as I know. You can either join the national health care scheme or just pay for health care when you need. I opted for the later option. Some jobs might include health care, but it’s dead cheap here even if you pay yourself.

If you’re from the US (judging by your California flag) you’ll get 30 days residence even without a visa. But you’ll need to find a job, get a work permit, leave the country, apply for resident visa, and come back before the end of that period. Which might be tight. Work permits take two weeks to get, so you’d need to get a job in the first week to make it.

[quote=“Boiled Egg”]

What privilages exactly does the ARC grant me and for how long? Does the duration vary?? Health insurance!?!

Am I still able to get a 30-day visa if I arrive without a departure ticket?[/quote]

ARC gives you the pivelege of staying here for the time you are with your employer and they should give you health insurance.

When I first flew here on an openended ticket the airline made me fix a return date before they would let me through security. So to answer you question i think you won’t even be allowed to fly here without a return ticket.

[quote=“StuartCa”][quote=“Boiled Egg”]

What privilages exactly does the ARC grant me and for how long? Does the duration vary?? Health insurance!?![/quote]

ARC gives you the pivelege of staying here for the time you are with your employer and they should give you health insurance.
[/quote]

Tee hee.

[quote=“Boiled Egg”]Because of that I envision: buying a 1-way ticket to Taipei, using my 30 days to find an employer, then having a nice weekend in Hong Kong where I will apply for a resident visa at the Taiwanese Embassy in Hong Kong using my newly acquired employer-paperwork (and $2000+ bank statements?), finally returning to Taiwan and applying for the ARC.

Am I still able to get a 30-day visa if I arrive without a departure ticket?

*spelling EDIT to end the madness below…[/quote]
It’s unlikely any airline will board you on a flight to Taiwan without a return/onward ticket or a resident visa. Technically, Taiwan requires it from tourists and although it’s unlikely they will check, they could deport you so commercial airlines won’t take the risk.

Before coming here, I got a multiple-entry tourist visa which was easily converted to a resident visa after I found work. It took the pressure off

You can come here on a one way ticket, but you need to have a visa or they won’t let you in.
You might be able to convince your travel agent to give you a “phantom” ticket back, but it’s not very likely they’ll do that for you.
Or you could order that return ticket to HK in the US and then I guess you would be fine, as you have a ticket out of Taiwan with you.

More specifically a “resident” visa. A “tourist” visa still requires an onward or return ticket.