Visa & Work Permit questions that needed to be answered

What’s up everyone, i’m new to the forums and was looking to get some help from my fellow foreigners.

Anyways, some background info. I’m 19 years old from Texas. I’m fluent in mandarin and english(I just can’t read or write).I just recently graduated from HIGH-SCHOOL from the United States. I flew to Taiwan as soon as I graduated (I was in a hurry) This was because I had visited my family this December(winter break) and While I was here, a TV station called “Channel V” wanted me to be on there show(So I was excited and took action ASAP, hense the reason why i fly here so quick). Being the young “kid” I am, I didn’t know there were “set-backs” and “rules” in Taiwan. So My questions are:

  1. So if I wanted to pursue a Career in TV commercial, being a regular on a show for teenagers.(Mo Fan Bang Bang Tang). What kind of work permit would I need? Or if I even need one at all? Also, would a work permit for TV commercial or things related in the Entertainment industry require a degree of some sort?

  2. If I wanted to get into an UNDERGRADUATE program here in Taiwan, would it be recognized in the united states while I’m done?

  3. I heard the school could grant you work permits? So if I was to attend an undergraduate program here, could that school give me a work permit to the TV industry?

  4. My 30 day landing visa is up soon, what kind of visa do you guys recommend getting when I fly to hong kong?

  5. If I had a “WORK VISA” Could I be studying at a university as well?

  6. Last but not least. If I know someone here in Taiwan that owns a pretty big company, could he grant me a working visa?

Keep in mind, money isn’t an issue on any of these things. I came to Taiwan to pursue a career in the TV talent industry. (my goal is to get famous here, then go back to the states because that would be the easy route)

Let me begin with some comments which I hope you will not consider impolite.

Are you the so-called “Overseas Chinese”? From reading your description it seems highly likely, however you have not provided any details about your ancestral background.

In Taiwan it does very much affect your visa status as to what “race” you are … If you are “Overseas Chinese” then you could get an appropriate visa and/or ROC passport for that category.

Are you male or female? I get the impression you are male but that may be my own personal bias creeping into my mental processes there somewhere. (The disctinction of your gender can also be important in dealing with “Overseas Chinese” entry requirements.)

I will end this short posting by noting that I am a relative newcomer in Taiwan with only 31 years in residence, so if you don’t like my questions and/or consider my remarks “intrusive” then feel free to ignore what I have written.

What kind of family do you have here? (Parents, siblings, etc.?)

Are you an “Overseas Chinese”?

Are you male or female?

Taiwanywood?? :astonished:

Uhm, I can’t answer any of your questions young jedi, but hey, good luck! :rainbow:

I was born in Taiwan, So were my parents, we moved to U.S. Now I’m back. I’m a Male(why would this matter)? And I have grandparents here…

Getting drafted into the military if you stay in Taiwan for more than 4 months at a time, I think. Do you have a Taiwan passport? If not, you’d be entering under a US one, which would mean the same rules for employment as any other foreigner. It’s not very easy to obtain a work permit for the entertainment industry, other than temporary ones like those given to touring acts and suchlike. You could probably get your Taiwan passport and maybe even household registration/ID, but then of course you also have the military.

Edit: I see from your post in the other thread that you have an ROC passport, so if you enter on that you could probably get work – from the legal point of view, at least. I have no idea about what qualifications Taiwanese people need to work in TV. Very few or none, judging by what passes for TV entertainment here. In fact, coherency, skill and talent might even be real disadvantages in a TV career here.

However, you’ll have to do your military service. In fact, these days I believe that even if you have an ROC passport but enter on the US one, you’ll still get drafted.

haha, no I don’t care at all… I’m 19 hah and from the U.S so i’ve seen “ruder”

Anyways, I hold an ROC, and an U.S passport. Parents are in the U.S with both an US and ROC passport too. I’m a male, wanting to study in Taiwan. But I would also like to be on television(it’s my dream) and already have offers from star television (channel V). But Anyways, I really need help ha

If you hold a ROC passport you are not a foreigner, and thus you won’t need a visa or work permit for that matter.

Thus I wonder why you actually have, or rather were given, a landing visa - or did you use your US passport instead of the ROC one to enter Taiwan?

When is the age they stop drafting? Also I heard if you were studying they couldn’t do it…

I’m studying mandarin right now. Then will go into a undergraduate program next year.

Also, if I have a ROC passport, couldn’t I work in taiwan?(I entered with a US for the reason of NOT getting drafted)

I used the U.S passport

can anyone give me a more specific answer?


Can I get a more specific answer? all these are kinda vague thanks!

Yeah, the obvious: leave Taiwan (which it seems you have to do anyway) and return using your ROC passport.

[quote=“futurestar35”]Can I get a more specific answer? all these are kinda vague thanks![/quote]You could try here:
and here:

I think you’d also be well advised to check out the forum on military conscription if you haven’t already.

“visa exempt” entry cannot be extended. So you can merely go out and come back on your ROC passport as suggested. A day trip to Hong Kong would be the easiest - no need to even leave the airport at HK.

(I wonder if this is legally necessary if you’re an ROC citizen - but even if not, its bound to cause a problem if you don’t leave within the 30 days.)

entering Taiwan with my ROC is NOT an option because

  1. I might get drafted into the army.
  2. I can’t enter a university as a “international student”
    if I can’t enter as an international student, I wouldn’t be able to enter at all because of my poor grades back in the states. But if I had a U.S passport they would just accept me no matter what.

Then you can’t work. Simple.

These are the forums you should really be reading and, if you have any further questions, posting in.

They stop drafting at the age of 36 now. And the duration of military service is one year and 2 months.

[quote=“futurestar35”]entering Taiwan with my ROC is NOT an option because

  1. I might get drafted into the army.
  2. I can’t enter a university as a “international student”
    if I can’t enter as an international student, I wouldn’t be able to enter at all because of my poor grades back in the states. But if I had a U.S passport they would just accept me no matter what.[/quote]

Futurestar35, if you enter TW with your TW passport, you are a TW national. You can work and live in TW without the need for any type of visa - you are a citizen of TW. However, pertinent to your situation is the question: Was your TW passport issued in the United States (i.e. you were born in the U.S. and a TECO office in the U.S. issued your TW passport) or in TW? This makes a difference. If your TW passport was TW issued, then you will indeed have a potential draft issue. However, if your TW passport was issued in the U.S. as an ABT (“American Born Taiwanese”) then different rules apply to you for purposes of the draft. It has been some time since I investigated this issue so the rules might have changed, but if you are an ABT and enter TW with a TW passport, then you have a 4 month “grace” period before TW starts counting your time in country toward the draft. Basically, if you stay in TW continuously for 4 months or more, you are draft eligible. Thus, this is why some ABT’s make day trips to HK prior to the 4 months running.

As for universities, U.S. universities definitely recognize an undergraduate degree from any accredited TW university. There are many TW nationals pursuing graduate degrees in U.S. universities following graduating from a TW university. However, if your question is whether or not you can transfer credits from a TW university to a U.S. unviersity in order to finish your degree in the U.S., each U.S. university has a separate policy on this and you should review the websites of a few universities in the states that you might entertain going to and read their policies on transfering credits.

Lastly, can you be regarded as an international student for purposes of going to school in TW? I think the answer is yes if you use your U.S. passport at all times to enter TW and obtain the necessary student visa. However, I do not think you qualify as an “international student” if you enter and live in TW based on your TW passport but use your U.S. passport to apply to a university as an “international student.”