Vision 2030: "Blueprint for Developing Taiwan into a Bilingual Nation"

Hello people, i have seen news about Taiwan that the politicians want to make English as official language well I would like to know which year will that happen and what benefit does it have by importing English as official language.

I believe the governmentā€™s target for Taiwan becoming bilingual is 2030.

So just 8 years, 8 months, and 27 days to go. :rofl:

1 Like

this link should take you to a site search of relevant titles:
https://tw.forumosa.com/search?q=bilingual%20taiwan%20in:title

Every 2030 vision (Taiwan, Saudi, UN feces, etc.) is pure shite :joy:

I think itā€™s possible. But they should bring in a lot more foreigners. Maybe start by not requiring public school English teachers to already have teaching certificates. Then, make it easier for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation ABCs to repatriate.

I also think itā€™s possible but will require continued funding for training, curriculum development, and recruitment. Many countries had ambitions plans, but did not make their target. For example, Vietnam had a 2020 plan for this too but the results became worse over time. Mainly due to non regulation from the MOE, poor funding and getting cheap unqualified teachers.

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/regions/asia/vietnam/

https://vietnamtimes.org.vn/vietnams-english-proficiency-slips-in-2020-asia-ranking-25983.html

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnamese-students-perform-worst-in-english-in-national-high-school-exam-4153084.html

Itā€™s possible if more multinational companies set up shop. If thereā€™s money in that, Taiwanese people will learn it.

4 Likes

Can they get enough qualified teachers ?
I doubt it. Even if they do the turnover will be high.

3 Likes

This seems quite sensible, although I donā€™t love the writing style (no accounting for taste)

3 Likes

Taiwan is one if the easiest countries to move to for white collar foreigners, but they always try to keep us 'outside the gates ā€™

In some countries the gate is at the start of the road. In Taiwan the gate is at the end of the road, thatā€™s all.

They let a very privileged few jump the gate.

Again donā€™t expect me to fight for Taiwan anytime soon! You donā€™t get my allegiance or help by giving me nothing.

3 Likes

Integrating Taiwan more into the global system, increases the chances that the global community will stand up for Taiwan if China attacks.

2 Likes

Do you really think having a history of English language use helped HK? If anything, this would be used by Beijing as some further excuse for ā€œreeducationā€ or whatever they are calling it nowadays (the so-called ā€œvocational trainingā€ camps in Xinjiang some to mind).

Iā€™m all for increasing international connections, but eventually realpolitik will make or break this issue.

Guy

1 Like

False analogy, Hong Kong could not be defended and had already become part of China.

Again, the more the world notices and integrates with Taiwan, the likelihood of the world defending Taiwan is higher.

1 Like

I believe we are singing the same tune.

The key variable here, as you identified it, is DO NOT BECOME PART OF CHINA.

English proficiency (or lack thereof) is thus in my view not the relevant issue.

Guy

Erm, im confused. Hong Kong was returned to China and is militarily indefensible. There was no option for Hong Kong to not be returned to China.

I think you are missing the point. The more Taiwan is connected to the global economy, the more likely that others will view it as important to defend. English is a part of that

2 Likes

Letā€™s just say I donā€™t think having a bunch of English teachers here will affect in any way whatsoever what Beijing does or does not do.

Iā€™ll leave it at that.

Guy

1 Like

Im not talking about English teacher, im talking about Taiwan becoming an easier place to do business and connected more to the global economy and cultural discussion in the way that Singapore is.

1 Like

Okey dokey. :roll_eyes:

Guy

How many people have moved from Hong Kong already? I think I heard 50,000.

We need to designate little Hong Kong somewhere and make Cantonese one of the official languages.

Weā€™ve been through this when Kaohsiung government authorities floated it.

HKers in Taiwan hated the idea! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

1 Like