Visit 40 small town villages

Looks quite interesting.
Hopefully they are some lesser-known ones.

Anybody have more details on which ones or if the government set up an App for it? (ok, even if in Chinese)

2 Likes

Almost none of them are villages. Generally townships or localities.

1 Like

Here’s a Google Maps list provided on that website: https://reurl.cc/eGkmL

By the way, this is why I love geocaching: I discover so many cool places in Taiwan and elsewhere. A couple of weekends ago I wandered by foot through Sijiaoting (四腳亭), a small coal mining town about 7km east of Ruifang. A local resident who grew up in that area placed a number of geocaches for people to find and discover her hometown. Quite charming.

sijiaoting%20scenery

2 Likes

Question: Do you specifically travel to places to do geocaching? Or do you just go places and then see if there is any interesting geocaching around?

How do you decide in advance that you want to go to a location for some interesting/fun/etc. geocaching?

I had placed four caches in the Taipei area, one very popular, but eventually all disappeared, taken away by muggers or park-cleaning squad. Almost impossible to keep big caches alive for long in central Taipei. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thanks for finding the link.
Very disappointed. These are nearly all commonly visited small villages/districts in Taiwan.
Was hoping the government would promote much lesser-known places.

Here they are:
Taipei City Dadaocheng, along the river path :ballot_box_with_check:
Taipei City Beitou District :ballot_box_with_check:
Keelung 中正 District :ballot_box_with_check:
Rueifang :ballot_box_with_check:
Pinglin :ballot_box_with_check:
I-Lan Toucheng :ballot_box_with_check:
I-Lan City :ballot_box_with_check:
Hsinchu Old District
Hsinchu Guanxi
Taoyuan DaXi :ballot_box_with_check:
Miaoli GungGuan :ballot_box_with_check:
Miaoli Yuanli :ballot_box_with_check:
Taichung Xinshe District :ballot_box_with_check:
Changhua Tianwei Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Changhua Lugang :ballot_box_with_check:
Nantou ChiChi (921 epicenter) :ballot_box_with_check:
Yunlin BeiGang :ballot_box_with_check:
Chiayi East District
Chiayi Haishan Village
Tainan Houbi District :ballot_box_with_check:
Tainan Yanshuei District :ballot_box_with_check:
Kaohsiung Meinung District :ballot_box_with_check:
Pingtung Hengchun Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Pingtung 東港 Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Taitung Chunggong Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Hualien Fenglin Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Hualien Rueisui Township :ballot_box_with_check:
Penghu Huxi Village :ballot_box_with_check:
Kinmen Lieyu Village
Matsu Beigan Township

From the places above I’ve been to, one can see I don’t think much of Hsinchu and Chiayi (been downtown and to Alishan), but definitely want to see Kinmen and Matsu.

The government don’t know about lesser-known places. That’s why they are called lesser-known places.

First weekend in Tainan, I asked in the tourist office about going to the beach at Anping.

“Don’t go there, there’s nothing there, and we have no information on how to get there.”

“Sounds good to me” thinks I, so I went anyway, though I had to tell the taxi driver which way to go at every F-ing intersection.

It was charmingly deserted and undeveloped and went a long way towards reconciling me to Tainan.

Now its heavily promoted, popular, increasingly controlled, and crap.

hopefully readers can add their own out-of-the-way destinations here that haven’t even appeared in the english news websites. I’ll try and jog my memory for some

Almost all those places are fairly busy and well known places to travel…