Visitor Visa/Airline flight question

Hey all,

First post. I searched, but didn’t find the answer. If it was posted previously, sorry!

I’m from the US and I’m going to Taiwan to teach in January and am damn excited about it! I have been looking into getting my 60 day visitor visa and it seems I need to show a flight itinerary.

I haven’t booked a flight yet, but I have read on the forum that basically I should book an open ended round trip ticket.

Will this affect my possibility in getting the visitor visa? (Do they NEED to see a specific date I am leaving Taiwan?)
HOW do I book an open ended flight? I use www.kayak.com to look for flights. If I choose one, how do I make the return date open ended?

Any positive feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

boca.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=11 … DSD=7&mp=2

You can always just book it with a date, then change the date later. That’s what i did. You probably won’t use it anyway.

If you buy a single, then buy a full-fare ticket on Cathay one way to HK. That fulfills the out of Taiwan ticket. Then refund the CX ticket. They’ll only charge you about US$20. Has to be a fully refundable ticket though. They were about NT$9k the last time I did it. But in my experience bucket seat returns are the cheapest, then ditch the return.

Lord Lucan wrote: [quote]If you buy a single, then buy a full-fare ticket on Cathay one way to HK. That fulfills the out of Taiwan ticket. Then refund the CX ticket. They’ll only charge you about US$20. Has to be a fully refundable ticket though. They were about NT$9k the last time I did it. But in my experience bucket seat returns are the cheapest, then ditch the return.[/quote]
Sorry for going off topic but,

No mention of booze L.L., you’re not turning Ginger Ale (rhymes with…) on us, are you?

When I applied for my visitor visa in Bangkok, they didn’t even ask for an airline ticket. In fact, the woman laughed at me when I handed it to her anyway. She just glanced briefly at it and handed it back.

You will likely need to show an onward or return ticket when you board your flight to Taiwan if you are traveling on a visitors visa.