Visitor visa with a one-way ticket

This has got to be a fairly frequent question, but I apologize that I was unable to find the answer by searching this forum.

I just landed a job teaching at a high school in Taiwan. They told me to obtain a visitor visa and they’ll take care of the resident visa once I’m in the country. So, I purchased a one-way ticket and then headed over to the website for Taiwan’s ministry of foreign affairs and discovered that a visitor visa for tourism purposes requires proof of a return flight. Rats. I’d rather not purchase another flight (which I won’t even use!) but argh, there has to be a better way.

However, I did find out that the checklist for a visitor visa for visiting purposes doesn’t mention a return flight, but I wonder if this was just an omission on the part of the webmaster since when I go to fill out the online visa application form, it won’t let me leave the departure date blank. Of course, I could just make up a date, but I’m afraid that they might reject my visa application if I do this. The nearest Taiwanese representative agency is a full day’s trip from where I live, so I’d really like to get everything right the first time and not have to make a second trip.

Thank you all so much… I’m so glad to discover this online community! I’ll definitely be sticking around in the future :slight_smile:.

Get a super cheap ticket to the phillipines for like 70usd (one way)

or get a refundable ticket

The problem is the AIRLINE (well, one problem) I have come to TW 3 times now and each time asked to prove I have an exit ticket. The airline may not let you board without one.

What happens when you get to immigration is another story.

If you try to come without one…you may get in, but is it worth the chance you won’t? You have to bs your way both through the airline and immigration once you are here.

70 bucks aint too much to pay to avoid ANY possible mishaps (imho)

Ok thanks, this is a great idea! :slight_smile: I’ll probably do that. It looks like a flight to the Philippines will be around US$250, probably because flights are expensive in the summer :frowning:. Doing some searching around, most airlines will allow the payment of an extra fee to refund a ticket in the event of an emergency… I’ll have to call airlines to see if they will let me pay a little bit more to get a ticket which is refundable for any reason…

Just to make sure though… will the Taiwanese representative agency in the United States require me to prove that I’m obtaining a visa to enter the Philippines, or will they accept just a ticket by itself?

[quote=“Caspian”]Ok thanks, this is a great idea! :slight_smile: I’ll probably do that. It looks like a flight to the Philippines will be around US$250, probably because flights are expensive in the summer :frowning:. Doing some searching around, most airlines will allow the payment of an extra fee to refund a ticket in the event of an emergency… I’ll have to call airlines to see if they will let me pay a little bit more to get a ticket which is refundable for any reason…
[/quote]

That is pretty expensive (still worth it)

check out some cheaper airlines like chebu pacific, asia air…all those asian ones.

[quote]
Just to make sure though… will the Taiwanese representative agency in the United States require me to prove that I’m obtaining a visa to enter the Philippines, or will they accept just a ticket by itself?[/quote]

I didn’t have to, I am pretty sure NO ONE has ever had to.

BUT- make sure your ticket to the phillipines or elsehwere (ie OUT of Taiwan) departs BEFORE your Taiwanese visa will expire…thats the main point.

Oh and remember

Your ticket OUT of Taiwan only has to be one way…you don’t need to show them that you intend to leave the philipines.

Thanks so much for your help!!

I booked a flight with Cebu Pacific flying out of Taipei for about USD$65, plus a little bit more for fees and what-not. Wow, those Asian airlines are cheap!

I’m so happy to be able to take care of this problem-- you’ve been a tremendous help to me!!

[quote=“Caspian”]Thanks so much for your help!!

I booked a flight with Cebu Pacific flying out of Taipei for about USD$65, plus a little bit more for fees and what-not. Wow, those Asian airlines are cheap!

I’m so happy to be able to take care of this problem-- you’ve been a tremendous help to me!![/quote]

Yah no prob! I did this exact thing less than a yr ago…glad to be of help!

Thank you so much for this information, both caspian and confuzius