Visitor Visa

A couple questions about my visa situation:

I have a 6-month multiple entry visitor visa that expires in Sep. I entered Taiwan in early March and they gave me a 60-day stay.

Question 1: Do I have to leave the country and re-enter prior to the end of that 60-days, or can I extend it somehow while in country?

Question 2: A local office is offering 1-hr of work, and completely above board. So they will make a copy of one’s passport, and deduct taxes prior to paying 1 hour’s wages. Given I don’t have a work permit, participating would be a bad idea … right?

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“HooknSinker”]A couple questions about my visa situation:

I have a 6-month multiple entry visitor visa that expires in Sep. I entered Taiwan in early March and they gave me a 60-day stay. Question 1: Do I have to leave the country and re-enter prior to the end of that 60-days, or can I extend it somehow while in country? Question 2: A local office is offering 1-hr of work, and completely above board. So they will make a copy of one’s passport, and deduct taxes prior to paying 1 hour’s wages. Given I don’t have a work permit, participating would be a bad idea … right? Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Working on a visitors visa is illegal… period. You can read I take it… you know the part where it states things like not allowed to assume employment and all that garbage they put on visitor visas :smiley:

If you wan to extend a Visa visit the NIA, they are the only onces who can give you a decision on that.

[quote=“HooknSinker”]I have a 6-month multiple entry visitor visa that expires in Sep. I entered Taiwan in early March and they gave me a 60-day stay.

Question 1: Do I have to leave the country and re-enter prior to the end of that 60-days, or can I extend it somehow while in country?

Question 2: A local office is offering 1-hr of work, and completely above board. So they will make a copy of one’s passport, and deduct taxes prior to paying 1 hour’s wages. Given I don’t have a work permit, participating would be a bad idea … right?[/quote]

1. The only ways I personally know of to get a visitor visa extended are: studying Chinese at least 15 hours/week at an approved school or 2) visiting Taiwanese relatives. I’ve read here of one instance of someone successfully getting an extension on the “just because I wanna see Taiwan” justification. As Satellite TV suggested, you could just go to the NIA office and ask.

2. The work thing sounds fishy. If someone tells you something that doesn’t sound legit, it probably isn’t. I don’t think you can legally work on a tourist visa. There was an instance where a talent agency said they could do it legally as long as I was only background in the film shoot, but it sounded fishy and I passed. One of my former colleagues was denied an ARC based on records showing he paid taxes on income from a company for which he didn’t have a work permit or ARC. Either way, why would you bother for 1-hour pay? If anything, as long as you understand the risk of getting caught, which is probably not likely unless it’s in a cram school, why not just get paid cash under the table?

1 Like