Visitors Visa - So Confused (can you get a work permit on a visa-free entry?)

the visa instruction page says

Applicants who enter the R.O.C. (Taiwan) without a visa and have obtained a work permit issued by competent authorities of the R.O.C. (Taiwan) may apply to the Bureau of Consular Affairs or any of its Central, Southwestern, Southern, or Eastern Taiwan Offices for an extendable Visitor Visa. Subsequently and with the extendable Visitor Visa, the applicants must apply to the National Immigration Agency for an Alien Resident Certificate.

Thank you for writing back, @tando.

The “2.a. bulletin” I mention says:

1. Visa-exempt entry cannot be converted to visa-based stay, unless any of the following
    applies:
    A. Foreign nationals entering the ROC through visa exemption may only apply for
    conversion to a visitor visa within the permitted duration of stay at the Bureau of Consular
    Affairs or MOFA branch offices in the event of situations that prevent them from leaving the
    ROC, such as severe acute illness, natural disaster, or other force majeure reason. In
    addition, white-collar professionals who have obtained a work permit within their permitted
    duration of stay may apply for a work visa
    together with their spouse and minors (under age
  1. who entered the ROC at the same time.

But I can see that the instructions you quote from are more specific. Can you link me to those please?

Sigh. I suppose (if it’s an option) I could fill out online and bring an application for a visitor visa. Then, first thing, ask the agent I end up meeting which kind of visa I’m eligible for and present that (i.e. have both applications ready).

it is the site linked in a previous post.
Anyway, it sounds you have everything to convert your visa-exempt entry to ARC. I’d call to BOCA and confirm which form I should fill, then visit them today, if possible.

So the question to Hardcopy is, how’d it go? Namely, were you able to go from visa-exempt to something else without leaving the country?

Hi @globalgourmand,

Sorry for the late reply. I’m probably forgetting some of the technical names for things, but it went okay.

Yes, I arrived with visa-exempt status. After a number of phone calls, emails and interviews, I found a good position.

The school applied for a local work permit (county, I believe). Once approved, I was given paperwork to use to apply for an ARC at the BOCA office in Taipei. I filled out an application online, as well, submitted it online and printed out a copy as a backup.

Although I was anticipating an interview, I’m not sure the BOCA officer said or asked anything. The paperwork from the school, the local government and my application seemed to be the critical items. Everything went smoothly. It took perhaps 10 minutes as she made copies, stamped papers and so on.

I chose the option of having the ARC mailed to my school, to avoid another trip to Taipei. That meant a little running around in the same building, but it seems like they’ve developed a pretty efficient operation there. My ARC arrived 10-14 days later.

My only mistake was misunderstanding how long my visa-exempt status was good for. I thought it was 2 months and booked my required return flight accordingly. As an American, I actually had 90 days. To make everything match up on the application (and to give myself more time if something went awry), I shifted my flight and paid the $200 fee. Then I was able to put my accurate return flight info on my ARC application. They didn’t want to verify any of that, in person, but I wanted everything correct.

I’ve been here for 9 months and the job is going well.

My thanks again to @tempogain, @yyy and others who chimed in with advice. Let me know if I can add any more details to the above, @globalgourmand.

2 Likes