Vital Statistics (birth/marriage certificates)

Hello All,

Please help me! I want to get a copy of my mom’s birth certificate. She was born in Taiwan in 1954 but lives in the US now. So far, my mom has mailed her sister a Power of Attorney. Then her sister (in Taiwan) has gone to the Household Registry office and gotten a copy of the Household registry, with my mom listed on it.

I would greatly appreciate if you answered any of the following three questions:

1. How can she get a copy of her birth certificate?

2. Can her sister get a copy of her birth certificate from the Household Registration Office?

3. Lastly, the birth certificate THEN needs to be legalized by the Taiwan public notary and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is for the Italian “consulate” in Taipei. How can she do this?

Thank you very much!
Andy

Hello All,

I have submitted a similar post about my mom’s birth certificate. Now I would like to ask for advice on my parents’ MARRIAGE certificate!

They were married in Taiwan in 1972 and they live in the US now. They DO have their original marriage certificate, in Chinese and an English translation. Also, their marriage is listed in my aunt’s household registry.

I would greatly appreciate if you answer any of the following three questions:

1. How can I get a copy of their marriage certificate?

2. Can her sister get a copy from the Household Registration Office?

3. Lastly, the marriage certificate THEN needs to be legalized by the Taiwan public notary and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is for the Italian “consulate” in Taipei. How can she do this?

Thank you very much!
Andy

Have your aunt contact the Household Registry office (HRO) where she obtained a copy of the Household Registry Certificate on which your mother is listed. Your aunt needs to ask the HRO what documents are needed in this situation. Normally a copy of a birth certificate can be obtained by presenting an ROC ID Card and or Passport.

Does your mother still have either an ROC ID Card and or passport?

She should be able to.

Your aunt needs to go to any court of court appointed notary and have the BC notarized and then take the BC to the MOFA for legalization.

NOTE: Your aunt must take with her to each of the office, notary and Ministry the Power of Attorney, her own ROC ID Card, her own name chop and her own ROC passport.

[quote=“andy2004”]1. How can I get a copy of their marriage certificate?

1. Can her sister get a copy from the Household Registration Office?

2. Lastly, the marriage certificate THEN needs to be legalized by the Taiwan public notary and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is for the Italian “consulate” in Taipei. How can she do this?[/quote]

Please see my reply to your other post re birth certificates.

Hello Tigerman (and others)!

Thank you for the very helpful response! So, if I understand you right, I need to get the certificates notarized by the court of court (?) appointed notary, and then legalized by the MOFA.

I have another question. I actually need these documents because I will give them to the Italian consulate in Los Angeles for something. So, I need to have the Italian representatives in Taipei “legalize” the documents first.

I contacted the Italian representatives in Taipei, and they said:

“your mother birth and marriage certificate should be legalized by a taiwanese Public Notary and apostilled by the taiwanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. we will help you to get the legalization here in Taipei.”

Does this mean that I should have my aunt go to the Public Notary (for notarization) and MOFA (for legalization) as you described? And THEN I can send the documents to the Italian Consulate in Taipei, for “Italian Legalization”, and then I can use the documents in the Italian consulate in LA?

Or does it mean that I can just send the documents to the Italian Consulate in Taipei and THEY will bring the docs to the the Public Notary and MOFA for me?

I ask if the Italian consulate will deal with the Notary and MOFA, because it seems to me that the Dutch representatives in Taipei provide a similar service. I saw this on the following page:
ntio.org.tw/consular/co-maine.htm
(under: CIVIL RECORDS IN TAIWAN - BIRTH)

Lastly, does my aunt need to hire a translation agency for some sort of “court appearance”? I read about this on the mentioned website.

Thank you very much for any assistance!
Andy

Yes.

She would not need to have the documents translated for notarization or legalization at the Taiwan notary or the MOFA. However, the Italian Office in Taiwan may require a translation… as may the Italian office in the US. Thus, it would be a good idea to have a translation (Chinese to English) done in Taiwan. Your aunt should inquire at the Taiwan authorities and the Italian office in Taiwan as to whether the translation needs to be certified.

Hello Tigerman,

Thank you again for the very helpful response! :slight_smile:

I have a question about what documents my aunt will need in order to apply for my mother’s BC and my parents marriage cert.

You mentioned that my aunt should contact the HRO and ask them which documents are needed to apply. If I understand correctly, my aunt would probably need my mother’s Taiwanese passport in order to obtain my mother’s BC?

I am asking because I called the Taiwanese representative office (TECO) in LA and they said that my aunt would only need her own passport, and a Power of Attorney. Also, when my aunt applied for the Household Registry Certificate recently, my mom had sent a Power of Attorney which she had gotten from TECO LA.

Regarding translations… Thanks again for your advice! I will check whether the Italians in Taipei require a translation for their “legalization.” I know that I will need to obtain a translation into Italian of their Marriage Certificate, for the Italian consulate in LA. Should I have this done in Taiwan? I guess I should check first whether the Italian consulate in LA requires a certified translation.

Thank you again for your help!
Regards,
Andy

Thank you

[quote=“andy2004”]Hello Tigerman,

Thank you again for the very helpful response! :slight_smile:

I have a question about what documents my aunt will need in order to apply for my mother’s BC and my parents marriage cert.

You mentioned that my aunt should contact the HRO and ask them which documents are needed to apply. If I understand correctly, my aunt would probably need my mother’s Taiwanese passport in order to obtain my mother’s BC?

I am asking because I called the Taiwanese representative office (TECO) in LA and they said that my aunt would only need her own passport, and a Power of Attorney. Also, when my aunt applied for the Household Registry Certificate recently, my mom had sent a Power of Attorney which she had gotten from TECO LA.[/quote]

Per my reply above:

NOTE: Your aunt must take with her to each of the office, notary and Ministry the Power of Attorney, her own ROC ID Card, her own name chop and her own ROC passport.

I think it might be easier to find someone who can do the translation here in Taiwan.

Hi Tigerman,

Thank you again for all the help. My mom is going to send the Power of Attorney to my aunt. Then I’ll share my experiences on the board. I have my fingers crossed! :wink:

Regards,
Andy

[quote=“andy2004”]Hi Tigerman,

Thank you again for all the help. My mom is going to send the Power of Attorney to my aunt. Then I’ll share my experiences on the board. I have my fingers crossed! :wink:

Regards,
Andy[/quote]

You’re welcome, Andy. If there is any poblem, don’t hesitste to request assistance again.