Vocabulary game

The cacophonous voice of the cantankerous, rotund, comic book guy seems most decorous to your counterpoint.

Arcane is the artifice to assuage the approbation of this arrogant, artless blight. Bludgeon the bewhisked bete noire in bedclothes whose brazen bliss it is to brandish such bravado. Cantakerous charlattan! I chastise your cherubic chicanery! (20)

You’re right. They aren’t on the list.

I’m back on track again.

Amiable Aubrey! Your altruistic and adroit acumen to allay and appease this appailing and burgeoning lexicon leads me to ascertain that you are an assiduous, austere and august libertine! It behooves me to belie your benevolent bonhomie. Licentious and loathsome malcontent? I think not. Your metier and mettle mitigate the moniker of penultimate patriarch! (27)

I’m very thankful that most of you are using alliteration which helps with the scrolling.

A few months ago I went viocabulary crazy and read a few vocabbulary books. I was amazed at the way that I could understand every single word (or 99.9%) people used on TV or in books. I hardly have to run to a dictionary any more (which I often used to). However, using the words in the appropriate way remains a challenge. Words from Greek mythology also remain a challenge.

I have often wondered what the consequences would be if I exposed myself to the full list on a daily basis. I could just scroll through the entire list and absorb some of the vocabulary on a daily basis. It must have an impact on one’s thinking in general. If you would like me to email you the entire list, let me know.

Once there was a post concerning the 100, 1000, etc. most used words in English which I found most interesting. If you know where I can get it, please send me a PM/reply.

Is this what you’re after:

esl.about.com/library/vocabulary … _list1.htm

This one is pretty interesting, as well:

yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html

Alas! The gruelling guise of this grievous list! It’s gargantuan gait galls me to no end! Grandiose and grandiloquent as it may be, hapless, haggard and harranged am I by it’s hardihood. Harrowing, haughty haven for the hirsute or heinous hinterlands of the hoary hubris? Impetuous and implacable it is! I implore the inimitable injunction of your opportune opprobrium to obliterate it’s profundity! (29)

[quote=“citizen k”]Is this what you’re after:

esl.about.com/library/vocabulary … _list1.htm

This one is pretty interesting, as well:

yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html[/quote]

Exactly what I’ve been a looking for. Thanks citizen k.

affable if any affluent people are agape and wish to aggrandize
with alacrity there aide-de-camp and albeit this is a poor allegory
and I miss my alma mater as the ask for alms I am as always aloof.
I am no also-ran, I participate with no admonitionin this altercation and now need to fill my tooth with amalgam.
With all this typeing my computer is now much higer than ambient temperature.

There. They are in Alphabetical order for you.

[quote=“Chicken”]affable if any affluent people are agape and wish to aggrandize
with alacrity there aide-de-camp and albeit this is a poor allegory
and I miss my alma mater as the ask for alms I am as always aloof.
I am no also-ran, I participate with no admonitionin this altercation and now need to fill my tooth with amalgam.
With all this typeing my computer is now much higer than ambient temperature.

There. They are in Alphabetical order for you.[/quote]

I sincerely appreciate your benevolence toward me.

I’m open for business again.

Yellow is the yoke of this wanton wrath. Wispy wayfarer that I am, I’m wizened to wheedled and wend this wily task. To waylay the visage of that vindictive virago brings only vapid vainglory and vindictive versimilitude, virulent vicissitudes, and a visceral vortex of vertigo! Vilify me with your volition! This is my systemic and swarthy swan song…(28)

With the permission of those who have already taken part in this game, I would like to ask admin to flounder this thread. I have discovered that I’m not as indefatigable as I used to think.

Shame…

…I was about to play. :sunglasses:

All good here, Aubrey. It was fun for awhile, but the thrill is gone…

I don’t think this game was that bad after all. So, for now at least, the game can continue.

If you play my game I’ll play yours.

I am a bit bemused. How many words have been removed and how will I know with out crossing off words from that behomth list myself?

I don’t bellow when I post…

I have expunged “bemuse” and “behemoth” from the list.

Tigerman, you don’t ave to bellow, just play.