Voodoo-donuts-like donuts in northern Taiwan?

Holy cow, it’s been a while since I heard the name.
We often went to the original shop when I lived in PDX before all the hype and the lines. That maple bacon donut was something, and Captain Crunch…
We stopped going after the line was getting out of hand. Towards the end of our times in PDX, Voodoo became a place that no locals would ever visit.

And KK, PDX was super hyped when KK finally came down. We could only get them when we drove to Seattle. (or was it Tacoma? I can’t remember now)

Now I settle for Mister Donut, and it’s good enough, I guess.

The cheeks are the best part of the fish, the lips are full of collagen and the eyes are super healthy.
" They contain the largest concentration of nutrients. Fish eyeballs contain omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin A and protein . Next time you’re served a heaping hunk of fish, be sure to eat the eyeballs too."

1 Like

It’s just a mixture of rice flour and wheat flour. Rice flour makes it chewy.

1 Like

Eheheh I’m pretty sure the fillet also contains those vitamins :stuck_out_tongue: omega 3 is essentially fish oil.

When you say best, do you mean most nutritious or most tasty?

I’ll stick with fillet and a side of broccoli :wink:

Not a fan of doughnuts personally, but there is a new branch of Krispy Kreme just opened inside Nanjing Fuxing MRT (along with a 包子 store, bakery, and place selling coffee), which I find to be a slightly odd location seeing as you can’t eat or drink on the MRT.

1 Like

From this article:

To optimize the use of spaces within MRT station complexes, the Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation established the Metro Corner at MRT Nanjing Fuxing Station as a part of a pilot project. The mini food court offers both “dine-in” and “takeout” options for MRT riders both inside and outside the station (Note: The “dine-in” option is only available on the side of the shop accessible to customers outside the station).

The trial operation at MRT Nanjing Fuxing Station consists of several stores: a bakery, a coffee shop, a steamed buns shop, and a donut shop. Passengers will have no need to exit or enter the station in order to satisfy their need for a a quick breakfast, afternoon tea, or nighttime snack

sources and more info:

1 Like

ABCD . A Better Coffee & Doughnut by Zhongshan station

I have to recommend this place. It’s more Blue Star than Voodoo. Certainly elevated. The owner speaks great English as well!

3 Likes

Ah, I thought that place was pretty awful. My friend didn’t like it, either. We were super surprised since it LOOKS soo good!! AAA presentation, but tastes like trashcan.

Edit: oh yeah, after browsing some reviews I got a couple flashbacks - they are also the kinda place that forces you to buy a 150ntd drink you don’t want… Per person. Just came here from Starbucks and liquid full, just wanting a donut? Nope.

Take-out not permitted?

You could just eat it in the park space nearby above the Red Line below.

Guy

Really?? What didn’t you like about it? I remember the dough being a little more bread or cake like and less traditionally donuty, but really nice flavors I thought.

And yeah, those drink rules are dumb (and not limited to this place). Especially when no one else is there! Do they not understand that having customers inside looks better than no customers?

2 Likes

Knowing the Taiwanese they would buy a donut and sit for hours playing videogames on their phone, definitely not a money maker. Businesses are not charities. They should have take-out tho.

Good for them, that would make their empty venue look like they actually have customers. You WANT people inside to strike interest.

As for ABCD, the ingredients tasted too artificial to me. There was no classic ones, just Taiwan style experimental ones with like cheap jams that only looked ready for Instagram.

Donuts in Taiwan is so passé, rice flour dough rings, chewy, is the new ‘donut’.

Ugh…