Vote for the Hong Kong Protestors - TIME Person of the Year

A sucessful protest in a country that allows, tolerates and encourages protesting and dissent.

Fair enough.

Obviously the rules are different as they’re playing a different game. Not trying to argue with anyone - apologies if I come off so. Just putting my two cents out there.

1 Like

Oh no worries, but we’re talking about a country that runs tanks over its own people when they dissent.

Even the army in China doesn’t swear allegiance to the country or its people. It swears allegiance to the party. It’s quite literally a paramilitary force. The only legal army of China are the ROC forces. American soldiers, police, politicians swear to uphold the nation. We can sue our presidents, politicians, servicemen and enforce laws against them should they become bad apples. Chinese forces swear only to themselves.

3 Likes

There was also a 70 year old street cleaner killed when he was hit by a brick last week.

I guess there is a difference between expressing dissent, and engaging in violence.

To many this is a fight against an overwhelmingly powerful foreign occupying force, which in their opinion merits guerrilla warfare. I might disagree on whether their approach is effective or not but I certainly don’t condemn their actions.

1 Like

But…
China is not a foreign occupyig force. Hong Kong belongs to China. Simple fact people keep forgetting. This is an internal Chinese affair. Albeit an unfortunate one for those who call HK home.

I sympathize with the protesters in their plight, but I cannot condone violence on either end of the protests. Many are provoking the police “just to see what happens” or “to get a reaction”. It’s messed up.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I said “to many”. I don’t think we should condone violence but we don’t have to condemn it either. Sometimes its best to keep quiet.
If it was me I would take the loss and emigrate but can’t blame people for not wanting to uproot their whole life.

And then when the Chinese come after the next country, and the next country and the next country exporting their oppression. Where do we emigrate to then? Space? Where do we draw the line? On their border or ours?

I prefer theirs.

Allied powers waited until Hitler was at their doorstep.

Are we extending the same courtesy to Xitler too?

This is nation building all over again. HKers should have thought twice before the handover. Now that its part of China we can’t do much about it.
I draw the line at Taiwan, that is if they don’t vote stupid pro-Beijing presidents, since its not actually theirs.

Hong Kongers didn’t want to do this then any more than now. Many left en masse.

They didn’t give the Hong Kongers a choice. China did whatever they could to stop the British in giving Hong Kong a say in its future.

China used their power to have Hong Kong removed from the United Nations list of Non-Self-Governing Territories.

My point is they should have protested then not after Beijing took over the government and police force.
Whether we admit it or not, optics matter in politics. If they protested then, they could make a case for themselves.

The British ruled HK with an authoritarian system, since before the PRC even existed. And there were no steps to democratize HK until after it was already agreed to hand over soverignty, in 1984.

1 Like

I tried to vote but I never got a confirmation e-mail…

Might have had a typo, some strange choices up there.

same for me, still waiting the email

What aspect of the Civil Right Movement wasn’t non-violent that you’re referring to?

The black panthers, for one. Anyone who followed malcom x’s rhetoric.

However, I do still stand that the USA civil rights movements were successful because it was mostly peaceful.

M’kay. Thanks for clarifying for me.