Voter registration for Americans

This is what I have heard too.

All of the ballots in Oregon are now mailed. They’ll mail it anywhere you want–contact your local election office–so there’s really no such thing as an adsentee ballot there anymore.

If you are so worried about your absentee ballots getting lost, why don’t you try FedEx? Doesn’t DHL run some sort of free service from AIT during election season? Could you be even more paranoid and gloomy, Boomer?

I am not being paranoid or gloomy. I am just pointing out that mail in Taiwan is not that reliable and the mail in the US is a lot more secure but still not 100%.
For the election in 2000 Fed Ex had a special program to help ensure absent tee ballots got where they were going.
I think that was a very good program and would like to see it happen again.

What consensus? Two people, yourself and Marky, (maybe Falcon, too. Though, I’m not sure whether he’s agreeing it is a consensus or a waste) said it is a waste of time. The rest are either not sure if the votes are actually counted, but assume they are, or are all for voting by absentee ballot.

I guess you and I have a different idea of what “consensus” means.

Even if there is a possibility of them discounting the ballots, if the number is less than the difference between the two candidates, I think you should still send it in. One, you really won’t know if your vote is counted or not. But, on the chance that it will be, it is better to have your voice be heard. Besides, IMHO, its the people who refuse to vote (always coming up with some excuse why they shouldn’t, couldn’t, etc… ) that complain the loudest about the politicians that get elected.

Two, it doesn’t take that much time to complete the application for the ballot or fill in the ballot itself when it gets here. I can’t imagine that you can’t find 15-20 minutes in your day, twice a year (once for the application and once for the ballot), to do what needs to be done to complete it.

Besides, if everyone refused to do it 'cause it was a “waste of their time” then, of course, there are going to be less absentee ballots than the difference between candidates.

The United States of America is one of the few countries in world that allows for and encourages their citizens abroad to vote without coming home.
Like all rights and privileges we don’t really appreciate them until they are gone.