Wack things in China

Happened over a year ago. I haven’t seen it mentioned.
More than 50 died.

Investigations found that the accident was a result of illegal construction and production of the coal mine, reckless operation of the contracting construction company, and oversight by local party committees, governments, and departments.

1 Like

Inner Mongolia is reportedly being mined like crazy to help provide key materials for the push for renewable energy sources. That, combined with the banning of the teaching of Mongolian in the school system . . . it does not look like a great place to be right now.

Guy

2 Likes

In a way it’s kind of cool, now that I think of it.

China’s youth are donning their worst pajama bottoms, hairiest slippers and heading to the office in a tongue-in-cheek rebellion against everything from bad bosses and poor work conditions to low pay and long hours. And they’re gleefully showing off their creations online.

For months, Chinese social media users have posted under hashtags like #grossoutfitforwork #uglyclothesshouldbeforwork #ootd (outfit of the day) and are asking others to share their own takes, unleashing a competition of who wore it worst.

The hashtag “grossoutfitforwork” has attracted more than 140 million views and tens of thousands of discussions on Chinese social media platform Weibo alone. In late February, a post by Douyin (China’s version of TikTok) user Kendou S, claiming she was chastised by her boss about her “gross” outfits which said she wore to battle the cold weather, went viral.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/21/style/china-youth-gross-work-outfit-trend-intl-hnk/index.html

4 Likes

But wait. Surely you don’t want them to stop? After all, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Also they likely judged the environment impact and disruption to be minimal. Mongolia, whether inner Mongolia or Mongolia itself, are so sparsely populated anyways. Nobody is ever going to mine fujian province to the same extent as Mongolia for example because it’s densely populated, and the disruption will be massive. But I mean, business has to happen. (It also means if Elon musk wanted to build a starship factory in a small town in china, they’re not going to care about some endangered birds)

It’s interesting how minority or Indigenous groups typically take the hit, isn’t it.

It’s also interesting how some people choose to disregard this situation despite also being minorities.

Guy

1 Like

This thing happens all the time with Cheatin’ China I’m sure, but they probably bit off more they could chew this time by pretending that some Chinese dude could outrun three Ethiopians and Kenyans, whose elite runners pretty much set all the records for marathons the world over. It’s a shame it’s not thumbnailing because the picture itself is hilariously audacious. The three African runners literally let the Chinese dude pass just before the finish line.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/19/china/china-beijing-half-marathon-winners-revoked-intl-hnk/index.html

heading back to Chinar on Friday for the first time in more than 5 yrs. Short family trip with my wife to Chengdu. Let’s hope.

PS also going to HK tmr night, should be ok hopefully.

1 Like

I’m getting my taibaozheng… so I can head over to china I guess in the future.

Finally i reckon, with ur right there

Just went to Shanghai last week and HK a month before that. They are sad former shells of themselves but wouldn’t worry too much about it.

1 Like

When I went to Shanghai (for the world expo) in 2010, I liked the food and futuristic skyline… and hated everything else. The crowding, the line cutting, the obnoxiously loud conversations in public, the muggy heat, the cops whistling and pointing at anyone who walked on a patch of grass they weren’t supposed to… but most of all I found it depressingly inauthentic and cynical. Everyone is your “friend” if you have money to spend on their services; if not, you’re lower than dirt to them. Didn’t meet one genuinely friendly person my whole week there. Huge contrast with Taiwan; say what you will about people’s attitudes here, but you meet enough hospitable and warm people around town. Hard to believe they have the same roots. Perhaps Chinese were a lot friendlier before the grievance ideology of Communism made them cold, hard, and cynical.

4 Likes

The hard split, culture-was and politeness-wise, was in 1949.
The much harder split was in 1979 and afterwards.

The two splits can never be put back together unless one side (not Taiwan) drives back to the right path

2 Likes

It’d be like asking Spain to try to line up more nicely with Chile. That ain’t gonna happen. And ditto with the case under discussion here.

Guy

1 Like

Highway collapse in Guangdong, China.

At least 23 cars fell off the cliff, many exploded. So far 48 dead. This stretch of highway is less than a decade old. The company responsible for maintenance announced on April 22 that some of the foundations will undergo repairs, and the tragedy happened just 9 days later.

1 Like

A bit old video, maybe a repost, but quite wack stories :grinning: . Especially the first girl starting from 1:25 in the video has some “nice” experiences :joy: Poor girl :wink:

Got English subtitles in case needed

1 Like

What about a zoo where dogs are turned into different kinds of zoo animals? I reckon there would be a market for it.

3 Likes

China is already way ahead of you. I remember this story from 2013:

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/16/world/asia/china-zoo-dog-lion/index.html

A zoo in China has angered visitors by trying to pass off a hairy dog as a lion, Chinese state media reported.

As they approached the cage marked “African lion,” they were shocked to hear the beast inside emit a bark.

It was a Tibetan mastiff – a large, hairy breed of dog.

Other species in the park were similarly mislabeled, the newspaper reported, with another dog in the wolf cage, and a white fox on display in the leopard enclosure.

3 Likes

Just avoid the snack bar…

3 Likes

Bystanders watch a guy drown in a pool without doing anything

the swimming pool staff did not know first aid and ultimately missed the golden rescue time

https://www.stheadline.com/realtime-china/3341840/河南游泳教練憋氣訓練溺斃-現場人員只顧拍片無人施救

https://www.hk01.com/大國小事/1016606/河南游泳教練憋氣溺水10分鐘身亡-工作人員說笑錄影片無人施救

Family released the video NSFL :warning:

4 Likes