Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

On the MRT as part of a promotion for selling local brand wheat drinks.

Black guy: ?
Girl (possibly white ): So scared she’s chewing her fingers

That’s not what his caption says. It’s saying he’s in a questioning state of mind. Kind of like WTF? It’s a reaction shot for both of them. The fact that it identifies him as “black guy” is annoying though. How is that relevant?

2 Likes

wow, Uni-President. the food company and owner of President Chain Store (7-Eleven) having a massive brain fart

You are right it’s 問號 not 問好 (I’ve edited it to ?)。。still it could be perceived as racist …it states he’s a black guy …It looks like she’s scared of him .

1 Like

Apparently, it’s what they call the Confused Nick Young meme in Chinese :woman_shrugging:t2: Doesn’t make it any better though.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t. They should be condemned for garbage like this.

1 Like

I think they’re both supposed to be reacting to the same thing, but I suppose it could be interpreted that way.

Is the woman another meme? Maybe there are a lot of memes on the ad? Just wondering.

Just the use of 黑人 really sucks. I feel bad for people who happen to be black this ad sucks.

5 Likes

Yes, this is the main problem. It reminds me a lot of this:

4 Likes

Yes and with the stereotypical features. I think they should trash that ad.

4 Likes

Just remember. Colgate, an American company owns Darlie.

2 Likes

In 1985 after Colgate-Palmolive acquired Hawley & Hazel, significant controversy erupted over the brand in the U.S., to which Colgate CEO Ruben Mark responded by issuing an apology, replacing the English name of the toothpaste to “Darlie” in 1989, and altering the image on the packaging to show a racially ambiguous face in a top hat to avoid racial misunderstanding.

However, the Chinese name of the brand, “黑人牙膏” (in English, “Black Person Toothpaste”), remains the same, and a Chinese-language advertising campaign reassured customers that “Black Person Toothpaste is still Black Person Toothpaste”.

3 Likes

Interestingly, there’s also a white version.

3 Likes

Yes, but they only sell it in Asia because…something about it being racist elsewhere?

Now with new improved metallic flavour we all love but none of the buzz.

Plus it’s FREE.

1 Like

For those days when you are in a chitty mood.

3 Likes

Uni-President products suck. Especially their drinks.

It’s nice to have another reason not to buy them. : D

Guy

1 Like

Continue here!