Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

Because “proper channels” wouldn’t have been as public. They could have kept it more hush hush and saved some face. 面子 damn it!!!

3 Likes

Nope. As said, they would have praised the teacher for his cleverness and punished the student for defying authority in the first place, insinuating that a figure of authority could be wrong in the second place, and standing for their “traitor independist lesbian usurpator president”* on the third.

Save face is only if you are actually found to have made a mistake and as seen, no mistake was made. (read above with dripping sarcasm)

*as heard tv hosts refer to Tsai

1 Like

Hey, lots of people have herpes simplex. It doesn’t go away, it always pops up when your immune system is low.

I just mean it would have avoided the public scrutiny. In their eyes, saving face.

FYI, I was also being sarcastic. I despise the 面子 culture.

2 Likes

And herpes can be contracted in a non careless manner, which is why having a vaccine now is so popular.

Agreed. But I do not feel they are ashamed in the slightlest.

Yep, there is 面子 and there is simply shameless. Not even clever gumption, but downright disrespectful, cover insecurities passive or active aggression.

A second Burger King just opened in Xitun. It’s still not on google maps

Then put it there yourself if it’s that important to you.

I’m aware. But it still doesn’t sound fun, and it always returns/doesn’t ever truly go away. Hence I called it incurable.

It’s hiding somewhere in your body. No one knows exactly where.

Perhaps I should specify that I mean HSV-2. Most people have HSV-1.

Which one is the vaccine for? Or are we talking about something else entirely? Can´t Google that here right now…

HPV has a vaccine now. Not so sure about herpes.

Thought it was about the same… will Google later, thanks.

The roaches seem to be crawling back to the surface. I saw a dead one yesterday, and tonight on my walk home from dinner I saw a big live one in my path. I hopped away from it screaming “fuck” like a loon, as per my usual habit.

Ah, spring…

Give me the address and I’ll add it. I need to improve my Google Maps cred.

Also, the things in this thread are becoming decreasingly wack. I wonder if that means Taiwan is getting more normal, or we’re just getting used to it.

1 Like

If we could upload videos I have some funny stuff but since not possible…fuggedaboutit.

This weekend I decided to take a trip out to Taian hot springs area, on the way I stopped at a local suspension bridge that was ALREADY in bits over ten years ago when I first attempted to walk across it.

This time I approached it from the other side with my kids in tow. Had to jump a barrier to get onto it as it has been officially closed for years. Kids being wiser stood well back near the entrance. As I gingerly made my way across what are now rusty metal plates and not rotten beams I was feeling pretty good (not so good that I didn’t not try to stand on the more solid looking part). Got about third way across and looked down through the gaps. The strut that was involved in holding the plate up had been eaten through 90% of the way. I guess I should figured as much from the empty holes where plates used to be further down the bridge. :rofl:

Came to the realisation that I preferred the wooden beams as at least you could balance between them and avoid the odd rotten one. This is my wack insight of the day.

Anyway it was time to call Indiana Dad off and come back to base!

What?

I like the back and forth messages about STDs and Burger King. Coincidence? A manifestation of God?

We’ll never know.

1 Like

Haha. Tsai YingWen has a sense of humor. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155666646186065&id=46251501064

5 Likes