Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

“Mazu is my co-pilot”

2 Likes

This guy flying around the corner digging into the trash is really dedicated to his work or in a hurry to get off early when the truck gets back to shop.

Maybe he spotted something good. People throw some perfectly decent things into the trash, especially rich folks and people who are moving homes.

Or maybe @Rocket got stuck in there.

3 Likes

(as of today) And the Christmas tree is still up! They’re really bad at this whole bad luck thing. Maybe his bad luck came from the fact that the Christmas trees of taiwan remain up as March approaches?

It’s glitter, lights, it’s good Fengshui!

I’d take another picture but it looks the exact same except someone pushed a pushcart beside it.

Yeah, I learned a long time ago to Dive first, then get me load on…otherwise it’s Amateur Night…

My hero

1 Like

That’s not published by LiveABC by chance is it?

I can tell you what school but buggered if i know the publisher

Actually I think the school is the publisher. Either way, I wouldn’t mind getting paid to write things like that and that big peas and carrot one I posted earlier

(I reckon they must make a killing off those textbooks. They go through like 4 a year, and they have to buy like 5 different books each time - textbook, activity book, parent’s guide, notebook and somethings else)

LiveABC is both a school and a publisher. I worked there many years ago. I recognized the T: Ss: meaning teacher and students. I don’t know if that is common or not. They usually didn’t have nonsense like that though.

Which helps explain why kids do not learn English.

Book publishing is big bucks but you needs to sell a lot of books because bribing the schools takes a bite. And you need to do that to ensure they buy your stuff not because it is crap but because they can choose.

Now the choice is usually related to cost. The publisher is already cutting cost in quality - as per example provided. But the lowest bid wins on paper - so it doesn’t look so obvious as bribery.

School officials will get trips to special KTVs and other off the books perks.

Hence, kids actually learning are doing so if their parents can pay out of school buxiban. Therefore, rich kids remain on top, poor kids remain hopeless.

1 Like

I actually worked for a school textbook publisher for a while. There are two big publishers and one minor publisher in Taiwan. The schools have to change textbooks every two years or so. They update their textbooks to match curriculum changes. The books content wasn’t that bad, quite colorful and lively.
They also made an effort to provide extra material and would support teachers online with questions around the materials or even general English questions.
Dodgy dealings , as far as I could discern , was mostly limited to sales people buying stuff in Costco such as vitamins or wine for teachers or teachers families (compared to how corrupt the school principals can be that is small stuff although I didn’t condone it and I believe most teachers weren’t receiving any ‘gifts’ ).
The teachers get to vote on the supplier every couple of years after reviewing the newly published material.

30 years old is ‘very old’?

They should publish some Forumosa posts!

Main textbooks, ok. Then there are supplementary materials, test papers, etc. Lots of gravy.

He is an old character in the book. The funny thing to me is that he achieves wizardhood at age 30

There’s LiveABC and AMC (American Magazine Company). Are they the big ones, or is AMC small. Then what is the other big or small one?

I misspoke before. It was AMC that used the T: Ss: to indicate when teachers and students spoke in the teachers training books. I don’t think this text is from there, though. I would call them a small publishing house, at least the textbook divisions, but the work they published, even the quality of the paper, was better than what’s above.

For elementary schools curriculum across all the major subjects , liveabc isn’t one of the core publishers.