Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

Imported dishwashing soap is cheaper than… water.

Following situation: I’m out shopping with the wife (she’s taiwanese). We bring our stuff to the register and I hand over the money/card and wait with the wallet in my hand for the clerk to hand over the change but he/she instead gives it to my wife, who in return gives it to me.
This doesn’t happen always but still quite often.

3 Likes

It’s just that they can see the power dynamic in your relationship very clearly. They can tell that she’s the top and you’re the bottom.

7 Likes

I assumed they know I can’t be trusted with money since I would spend it on stupid stuff, or my Ron Swanson Look but your explanation sounds logical aswell.

1 Like

Actually, this happens to me almost always. They tend to look confused too when handing over the change. Now my wife just gives them a blank look and points to me.

3 Likes

It helps to know I am not alone.

1 Like

Don’t drink it!

petrol is cheaper than bottled water

But we’re speaking Japanese!

2 Likes

in Taiwanese culture and elsewhere in Asua, it’s typical for the female household head to control the family finances, and hence probably why they do that.

1 Like

hmm, that never came to my mind, could be interesting to observe the cashiers how they handle taiwanese couples standing in front of the counter. you think they will the give the change to the woman even though the man’s paying?

My wife just gets her purse out ready to profit :moneybag:

2 Likes

I’ve never encountered such a thing. They give the change to your wife? That is seriously wack.

1 Like

Wives must command some type of special mystical presence because I’ve never noticed this happening with any girlfriends.

I’m not married, but I’ve been to places with a Taiwanese male friend and this same situation has occurred–they try to give the change to my friend instead of me. The first few times this happened I gave the clerk my best WTF? expression, but later I didn’t even bother. And to be honest, it hasn’t happened for quite awhile, so the times, they are a-changing.

EDIT: Eh, maybe hanna149’s explanation applies here as well :man_shrugging:

haha. :+1:
See… Taiwan naturally evolves on its own. It does not need referendums telling people to evolve.

A mate of mine is given a monthly allowance out of his pay check by his wife. It’s astonishing.

As long as it goes both ways, I see no problem…

I have a friend like this back home, he works in finance but his wife deals with the household stuff. If he wants something he just asks his wife to sort it out. He always says he’s very happy without the stress

1 Like