Wack Things In Taiwan 2021

It’s called public toilet for a reason.

4 Likes

How does one get to Dongyu Island?

Follow the odor?

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be swimming in that little patch of water…

By the private boat, or by the tour boat from Magong.

2 Likes

This works best when heading back to the land of industry and big cities.

OMG. Dongyu Island is hardly the Jewel of the Orient. Who would want to be forced to exist there? is it some kind of penal colony?

Zoom out a little and take a wider look at the place.

quaint toilets though.

“is it some kind of penal colony?” - Hey, we are discussing Wack Things in Taiwan after all :wink:

EDIT: deleted, misunderstood

There were some interesting looking abandoned terraced fields in the middle of it.

Dongyu or Dongjiyu?

Dongyu
Dongji is slightly to East

The wast majority of houses abandoned.
The “restaurant” and “hotel” are looking even more interesting there.
But the seafood is great

4 Likes

LOL, well I’ve been to both Dongyu and Xiyu twice, but each time for only a few hours on each islet, enough time to make a leisurely circuit by scooter (and look for the few geocaches). I admit, though, there’s not much attraction to live there unless you’re a fisherman, or you just want to retire away from everyone.

My personal favorite out of those little islands, though, is Wang’an.
Sea turtle nesting area…

My room on the beach…

7 Likes

Yeah, the places are extremely tranquil when no visitors.
Not sure if it’s wack though

1 Like

Speaking of abandoned - came across this video on YouTube about the island of 西吉 Xiji in Penghu。 A completely uninhabited island, with abandon structures full of tall overgrown grass with snakes and plenty of holes to fall into. You need a permit just to get on the island.

5 Likes

You’re not selling this place very effectively. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Ha well it’s the whack things thread, not the places I want to vacation thread. I’d still be interested if I had a guide…maybe.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of this place, but it’s on my bucket list now. Thanks!

3 Likes

Nice view whilst taking a poo. I didn’t notice it either!

Snakes in long grass on a little known island? A potential hazard if you visit, no doubt.

But apparently so are red fire ants in Danshui (!) which may have killed a local fisheries association chairman this past weekend. Yikes!

Trouble spots apparently look like this:

Source: https://taiwanenglishnews.com/fisheries-chairman-dead-after-being-stung-by-fire-ants-in-new-taipei-city/

Guy

11 Likes