Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

If/when this is necessary, do be sure not to block the driver’s view of the mirrors.

At least this is common protocol where I grew up . . . .

Guy

Do I strike you as stupid?

1 Like

Of course not. But I was not aware of how “packed” (your term) the bus was. I have seen many cases over the years, especially in Hsinchu City, where “packed” meant “passengers blocking the view of the mirrors.” If I were the driver, I’d be unhappy in such a situation—though I may need to first refine my “gwarrarggharoo!”

Guy

If that’s the case, the driver shouldn’t let so many on. They’re packed like slave ships sometimes.

I hate using busses, drivers are nutters.
First bus I used in Taipei, I just scanned card he accelerated away - I was sent running to the back of the bus, then he slammed brakes on, forcing me back, how the fuck I didn’t go over I don’t know.
Badly sprained ankle after.
I didn’t say thank you on exiting.

5 Likes

That’s a harsh punishment from a Brit. Are you sure you didn’t overreact?

12 Likes

I bet he even considered tutting loudly.

3 Likes

And gave him a good telling off

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

1 Like

Can’t remember if this was posted recently:
Flashing Christmas lights. Some well placed lights are nice but must people set them to the ultra fast blinking mode? Feel like this country needs an epilepsy warning before one exists here.

4 Likes

why take off the shoe?

Well you don’t want to injure the man, he might have a family!

My parents (in the US) bought some holiday lights that only had the options of “epilepsy-causing flashing” or “off”. They were really bad for the eyes/brain when strung around the house plants indoors. But when I wrapped them around the branch of a tree outside, they were very nice to look at from both the living room window and the street. No more feeling like I’m about to have a seizure simply by being near them. I might even dare suggest they were “calming”?

I think the trick with blinking lights is to the use the ones that don’t really produce a lot of light. Some string lights light up the whole block while others produce virtually no light at all, just provide a subtle twinkle. The problem with the ones in TW is that they are usually the former, and in bright white (as opposed to a soft white), and there’s not enough distance between the various types of bright blinking lights and buildings/roads/humans trying to move around the loud announcing speaker things, scooters, cars, and buses. So it becomes extreme sensory overload, even in comparison to some homeowners’ exterior holiday decor in the US…

1 Like

18 Likes

Ama told me to wear it lol

2 Likes

That personal airbag is already deployed. It won’t work properly in case of a crash.

Know the feeling, don’t wanna get out of bed :sleeping_bed:

1 Like

It seems I haven’t browsed around enough in the cookies section, because I’ve never seen these:

3 Likes

I like them.

1 Like

I found them to be nasty.
Screw the novelty

4 Likes

“I’ll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.”
–Mae West

I’m not a huge fan of Oreos but I think I’d try them. Citrus and chocolate ought to work well even if there’s no actual citrus or chocolate in there.

2 Likes