Wack Things in Taiwan 2023

In an interesting twist, scholars say this creature has been identified as the wrong species. Furthermore, it might have heavy metals.

Anyways, they are happy this dish has sparked the curiosity of people in their marine environment. :woozy_face:

4 Likes

These things, including crabs and shrimps, are basically cockroaches of the sea. The reason they are not kosher for jews is because they eat trash in the sea, basically scavengers. So if there’s any toxin in the sea they eat it and concentrate it. And if you eat it you’re eating whatever they ate.

Actually, that bit has generated a lot of compassion for these poor creatures; don’t eat them, it is too cruel, they are doing an important job.

I’m not a huge fan of seafood except for fish. Fish is kosher, everything else is not.

I feel like there probably isn’t much of a difference between exactly which species of giant isopod you put on top of your bowl of noodles. I doubt that one is delicious whereas the other is gross.

1 Like

Thanks for ruining memories of a great dinner last night at Le Blanc.

5 Likes

Came the closest yet to being knocked off my bicycle because of some stupid bastard.

Cycling along, about to turn left, in the lefthand side of the road, left arm out to indicate I am turning–as you should.

As soon as the turn appears and I start to turn the stupid bastard on a moped behind me decides that THAT is the moment to overtake me. Her wingmirrors actually clipped my arm. If I turned half a second earlier, she’d have hit me full on in the side.

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to catch up with the halfwit as she went through the light further down the road just before it changed to red. Or maybe luckily—because I was absolutely fucking livid. I dropped a dozen f-bombs just swearing into the void after the stupid moron. God knows what I’d have said to her if I did catch up, but I’d have definitely fallen afoul of Taiwan’s public insult law.

Clearly she just wanted to beat the light rather than wait until I turned. Literally–if I turned a half a second earlier, she’d have hit me on the side and knocked me flying.

13 Likes

Glad u r alright, if understandably upset/shook up. As u said, coulda been much worse, in 2 ways at least.
key points to focus on:

1. u r ok!
  2. u didnt get urself sued fro public insult, as ud probably lose
  3. who knows what else coulda happened if u caught “her”? Foreign male vs local female doesnt seem like it would end well.
    Best wishes, have a beer or 2 and relax
1 Like

Taiwan’s stupidest rule.
Some people just deserve to be called a numbnut. If you don’t want to be insulted, don’t drive like a pillock.

9 Likes

Not to worry. You didn’t exist to her in the first place, so your appropriate C.U.Next.Tuesday rant didn’t happen in her world.

2 Likes

One of the worst thing about living in Taiwan is not having an online shop, like Amazon, that offers product reviews.

Recently I had to buy a backpack, an Ipad case, and a computer cable online. You basically have to take a gamble on which item on PCHome is good, because there are no reviews. All of my items turned out to be cheap Chinese garbage. Yes it’s possible to return items, but that’s just extra hassle.

Also Shopee offers reviews, but they’re generally for the seller and not the product - so they’re typically all positive.

3 Likes

If you’re turning left, why would she pass you from the left instead of the right? Was she directly behind you prior to overtaking you?

I’ve gotten into the habit of literally riding on the double yellow lines when I’m about to make a left turn on a bicycle, so nobody can pass me from the left.

Momoshop has reviews now. I think that’s a new thing since I don’t recall them having it last year.

Shopee reviews are shit 99 percent of the time because most people only do it to get the points so what they write and pictures/videos they share are useless most of the time.

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I only really use PCHome, but will have to look into Momo.

The main question is whether their reviews are honest and unedited , or curated. I imagine users will have to be careful about trashing a product in case they get sued for defamation.

EDIT: @lunlan I’m not seeing any reviews on Momo. Could you share an example of a product that has them?

If it really is a newer feature than maybe some products don’t have any reviews yet.

3 Likes

Found them, thanks. Second tab from the left, next to product description.

Strangely, that USB charger has 821 user reviews. That’s alot!

1 Like

Any Taiwanese person who both understood and took umbrage at being called a ‘pillock’ would be deserving of some sort of financial reward IMO.

2 Likes

I think you get some momo coin for leaving a review.

Problem I find, is that Taiwanese tend to be very generous with star ratings.

The main problem I have with MOMO is a single item will have many listsing with different free gifts or combinations.

4 Likes

Reviews are also unhelpful. You can find listing for a cheap fake iphone on AliExpress with very good reviews.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about fake reviews, then it’s also a problem on Amazon.

It easy to mitigate - just ignore all 4 and 5 star reviews, and pay attention to the 3/2/1s only.

3 Likes