Wack Things in Taiwan 2024

This is extremely wack. People buy one stock and then once a year take the time to travel a pick up these “gift” like toilet paper. They spend 30nt to buy just one stock and then a lot of time travelling

1 Like

Did you know about this before I posted it?

Yes, and I fell embarrassed. My wife got some kitchen tissues.

4 Likes

In Kaoshiung some guy has been deliberately throwing screws and nails into the road.
As it is a major road with lots of traffic there was concern for public safety as a punctured tire leading to a crash could have large affect on public safety.

They caught the guy and he may be fined up to 2,400.

Earlier this year a motorcyclist who was throwing nails into the road was also caught during the Baishatun Mazi pilgramage…when caught the guy said he didn’t know why he threw the nails.

6 Likes

What? Man, that’s a REALLY low fine for potentially causing a crash that could be very serious. And for doing this with that aim in mid, it would seem.

2 Likes

An n95 is a good idea in a hospital. Hospitals are plague houses full of a bunch of sick people and superbugs. If you need a sick day off from work, spend a little time in a hospital waiting room! If you got stuff to do though just chuck on an n95 while to you’re there.

1 Like

Meh, I’ll take my chances and rely on my immune system.

Besides, I’m not sure that any of the main “superbugs” (defined as those resistant to the first-choice antimicrobial drugs, usually found in healthcare facilities) are respiratory, and they’re usually only a real concern to people undergoing surgery or other invasive procedures, especially when immunocompromised or on long-term intensive care.

Even an N95 mask wouldn’t be so helpful against those, because they’re not really something you “catch” during a casual visit by breathing.

Probably a good idea to wash one’s hands after leaving though (I generally do, especially if I’m going for a meal after).

2 Likes

What makes Taiwan bugs so special? My daughter is a practice nurse in UK working in hospitals and surgeries. Masks haven’t been work for over 18 months by either patients or staff. As has been said the human body has a pretty good immune system. But yes, hand washing all the time, she does after every patient.

The Taiwanese know better than the rest of the world.

Well, my wife owns more than one share in various stocks but every year we travel to a small shop to see what the gift are. Because we live in Hualien for some gifts you have to pay the shipping costs if you want the gift. My wife has not paid extra for a gift but we have driven to the shop a few times during one season due to gifts late for arrival. The quality of gifts has declined for most companies so really not worth the effort. In past she liked the steel cups given by a steel company.
She heard some companies are now requiring a minimum amount of shares to be owned before receiving a gift (if they are giving a higher quality gift).

4 Likes

Ducks again

5 Likes

Something I’ve been occasionally wondering about for a while: Is it just me, or are some of the credit card POS terminals in Taiwan really badly designed? Specifically the ones in Carrefour and Costco.

With the Carrefour one, it seems like the serrated edge for pulling off the receipt isn’t anywhere near sharp enough to do its job. I’ve gotten used to it now and increased my success rate to maybe 80–90%, but for people not familiar with the terminal it seems virtually guaranteed to either tear the bottom off the receipt or force the spooling mechanism to the extent that the terminal stops working and the assistant needs to come over and reset it.

For Costco, specifically mobile payments using the terminal’s camera and the QR code generated in the Costco app, and I’m guessing also physical credit card payments with the camera, it’s like the camera and screen are positioned in a really non-intuitive way, such that you have to hold the phone/card at an awkward angle of 30–40 degrees while also watching the blurry and jerky image on the screen until it reads the info. It eventually works, but I’m always baffled by why they’d design it like this. :thinking:

2 Likes

I usually just let the person operating the POS tear the receipt. They seem to do it just fine.

Yeah, I mean for the self checkout terminals lol. I should have made that clearer, but obviously I’m not reaching over them to snatch the receipt at the regular checkouts.

Huh? In a country of 23 million people…9 million people went to see those ducks?
And later the report says for 117 concerts there were 1.39 million people attending. That sounds more reasonable.

2 Likes

The way I read that, it is based on phone company data (SIM ping radio tower) and 9 out of 23 got in the general neighborhood over some length of time. I am not clear on the extend of the general neighborhood and what length of time. It does sound fishy.

2 Likes

Maybe they included people traveling on the highway toward Kaoshiung.

3 Likes

The calculation seemed dubious to me too when I read it:

Based on a 2022 Tourism Administration report, an average visitor, excluding room and transportation expenses, spends NT$1,158 at a tourist spot, while those who need one night of accommodation spend NT$5,736 on average, meaning the total average is NT$2,316, it said.

I’m sure there were a few people who specifically traveled to Kaohsiung to see the ducks, but the calculation makes the implicit assumption that everyone who visited the ducks went only to see the ducks and wouldn’t otherwise have gone to the area, have gone to Kaohsiung, or generated the tourist revenue… and I doubt that’s remotely true.

For instance, some of the NT$1,158 (local)/NT$5,736 (out of towners) per person would likely just have been spent elsewhere in the city if the ducks weren’t there. I assume those figures include dinner and stuff, but personally I’d have a hard time spending even the local amount looking at some big ducks, even including dinner.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s a joke answer.

These are cram schools specifically to help people to pass the tests these big corporations in Taiwan often use to weed out applicants. It also includes soe as well as government agencies.

1 Like

2400nt fine, for deliberately throwing hazards onto roads? Seems kinda light.

1 Like