Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

That’s shocking, although sadly unsurprising. We just took a school trip to Taipei, and the amount of candy, sweets & biscuits being consumed on the train was bad for the eyes. Think we were the only family with fruit. The school as well dished out Xmas presents to all the kids - boxes with more chocolate biscuits inside.

Sorry to inject crudity into this forum, but someone keeps pissing all over the floor at work. Seriously. I’m not talking a drop or two; I’m talking giant puddles.

They keep doing it in the bathroom on my floor, high in our fancy, shiny, hi-tech building: a bathroom only used by college-educated, grown-up professional workers. I don’t know who it is, but it’s been happening regularly for years. The urinals in the bathroom are perfectly normal and functional, but I will regularly walk in there and discover a huge puddle – at least a pint or two of piss – haplessly splashed about in front of, around, beside, and in the general vicinity of the urinal, so much so that one is generally inclined to take a stroll around the vast periphery of the puddle to make ones way to another urinal, but sometimes the others are occupied and one must tread through the puddle and just plop ones feet down in the middle of it to perform nature’s call.

I honestly don’t know what the problem is. Is that what happens when a man hasn’t been circumcised? Is he unable to pee without it splattering in a massive, diffuse spray only in the general random intended direction, but also over everything else within a 5 foot circumference? Or is there some grown-up, college-educated professional who gets a kick out of regularly peeing all over the floor of the office washroom? Or is there some idiot so totally ignorant and oblivious to the world around him that he regularly fails to notice his piss isn’t going anywhere near the intended target but is instead missing it by a mile?

Anyway, I don’t know the cause but it’s disgusting. Another reason for me to take off my shoes before entering the house.

Apparently the pissing problem is common enough to warrant signs in front of urinals that say “Please come closer”.

Ohh. That’s what that means.

Firstly, that’s disgusting. But I’ve seen it myself (not at your office, obviously, but in other urinals used by supposed educated professionals…).

No.

Quite possibly something like that. Or a disgruntled employee sowing his wrath in a passive-aggressive manner. Or maybe it’s someone’s idea of a joke.

I know what you mean.

Also, has anyone noticed how local guys don’t seem to see the need to close the bathroom door when taking a leak at the urinal, even (especially?) when they are in constant view of ladies moving in and out of their toilet?

Yes!! What is up with that? In my building the men have a single-person bathroom at the end of the hall, right at the top of the stairs and between everyone else and both the ladies bathroom and the hot water machine. So LOTS of traffic going by just a few feet away from the pee-er. First of all, there’s only a partial door (blocks maybe mid-thighs to shoulders) between the urinal and the world, but it’s not uncommon for to walk by a guy who didn’t even bother to shut that. As one of said ladies, I find it a little disturbing…

Just have to pipe in with the woman’s point of view on the urine situation.
Squat toilets+vagina=HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MISS!!!
I mean seriously? What are they doing? swaying gently side to side while peeing? Why are there puddles of pee on either side of the squat toilet? I don’t even see how it’s possible! I can’t even squat properly, so worried am I that I’m going to drop my pants and soak up a puddle of pee!
Also, I love when a western toilet has shoe marks on the seat =) it makes my day and I’m not even being sarcastic about that. I just picture the person climbing up there, squatting like a gargoyle and doing their business. te heehe
One more urine related absurdity. My friend lives upstairs from me. She has a really nice big balcony. There’s been construction going on next door for six months. It’s been lovely, really, between the chronic head aches and the construction dudes peering in my window and shouting “hellohowareyou!youbeautiful!hellohello!” but that’s besides the point.
One day the construction dudes sort of commandeered my buddies balcony. She’s a much nicer sort than I so she didn’t say anything. Then they started going in her back door (which she kept open for her cats) and plugging their heavy machinery into her outlets (we dont’ know if our lovely landlord gave permission for this or not) then one day my friend, fresh from the shower and wearing only a towel, glanced out on her balcony to see one of the construction dudes just peeing. Right there on the balcony. Not even aiming for the drain which was a foot or two away, mind you.

She lost it =)

Possible reasons:

1. The high rate of passive-aggressiveness in Taiwan.
  2. Taiwan has just recently emerged as a developed country. Very recently the majority of people worked on subsistence farms. No toilets or urinals there - you just pee wherever you want. This subconscious attitude that pee and poop really aren’t so disgusting, even that they’re good (fertilizer) influences their current behavior. I’ve seen people peeing down drains near Shida, for example, and no one seemed surprised (except me).
  3. The men are marking their territory, just like dogs.

MT,

When my dad lost his job, my mother took on a job as a commercial cleaner in a large office building, and everyday for four years she came home crying in frustration at the so-called civilised men who made her toilet-cleaning life a living Hell. The only difference between here and there that I can see is, commercial cleaners at home have to constantly go back and clean the toilets or people complain. Here, people don’t seem to demand instant cleanups.

Yes!! What is up with that? In my building the men have a single-person bathroom at the end of the hall, right at the top of the stairs and between everyone else and both the ladies bathroom and the hot water machine. So LOTS of traffic going by just a few feet away from the pee-er. First of all, there’s only a partial door (blocks maybe mid-thighs to shoulders) between the urinal and the world, but it’s not uncommon for to walk by a guy who didn’t even bother to shut that. As one of said ladies, I find it a little disturbing…[/quote]

My reaction when I see it?

A loud “close the fucking door!”

Yeah, I know, I give all foreigners a bad name. :neutral:

I feel for her. One of my worst jobs ever was cleaning the women’s shower and changing room at a swimming pool facility. I cleaned the men’s too, but the women’s…!!! Argh!

[quote=“Anubis”]My reaction when I see it?

Yeah, I know, I give all foreigners a bad name. :neutral:[/quote]
That’d better be “fucken”, Otherwise you could be sued for “insultment”!

Btw, I mentioned to my wife the puddles of piss surrounding our company urinals and wondered whether people do it intentionally or what and she said “maybe they’re too short.”

“Good point,” I responded, maybe they have trouble reaching up that high.

“No, that’s not what I meant,” she replied. :laughing:

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Anubis”]My reaction when I see it?

Yeah, I know, I give all foreigners a bad name. :neutral:[/quote]
That’d better be “fucken”, Otherwise you could be sued for “insultment”![/quote]

:laughing:

Insulting the door?

Point taken. I’ll vary it with “fooking” and “fuggen”. :neutral:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Sorry to inject crudity into this forum, but someone keeps pissing all over the floor at work. Seriously. I’m not talking a drop or two; I’m talking giant puddles.

They keep doing it in the bathroom on my floor, high in our fancy, shiny, hi-tech building: a bathroom only used by college-educated, grown-up professional workers. I don’t know who it is, but it’s been happening regularly for years. The urinals in the bathroom are perfectly normal and functional, but I will regularly walk in there and discover a huge puddle – at least a pint or two of piss – haplessly splashed about in front of, around, beside, and in the general vicinity of the urinal, so much so that one is generally inclined to take a stroll around the vast periphery of the puddle to make ones way to another urinal, but sometimes the others are occupied and one must tread through the puddle and just plop ones feet down in the middle of it to perform nature’s call.

I honestly don’t know what the problem is. Is that what happens when a man hasn’t been circumcised? Is he unable to pee without it splattering in a massive, diffuse spray only in the general random intended direction, but also over everything else within a 5 foot circumference? Or is there some grown-up, college-educated professional who gets a kick out of regularly peeing all over the floor of the office washroom? Or is there some idiot so totally ignorant and oblivious to the world around him that he regularly fails to notice his piss isn’t going anywhere near the intended target but is instead missing it by a mile?

Anyway, I don’t know the cause but it’s disgusting. Another reason for me to take off my shoes before entering the house.[/quote]

Somebody let irish stew out of his cage again?

Put up signs like these.

From here

Sega has the solution–a real pissing contest:

“Sega Launches Urinal Games,” Taipei Times

Sega has the solution–a real pissing contest:

“Sega Launches Urinal Games,” Taipei Times[/quote]
I love it! Great idea. :thumbsup:

http://www.sharenator.com/The_Urinal_Game/

How hospital waiting rooms have no reception/information desk.

Instead, you have to search the lists next to the doctor’s office doors for your name, then open the door, interrupting whatever session is in progress, to give the nurse your papers.