Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

In my observation old people exhibit the worst of rotten, selfish, disgusting and vile behaviors.

Can anyone link the youtube video of the people who had a sparkler candle on a b-day cake and the balloons were filled with something flammable? I saw it on TV.

30 US$ a month for comprehensive health care that doesn’t even cover what your children take out of the system? Oh that sounds so tough! And only 100 US$ in monthly child benefits? What a plight![/quote]

Emm, if I got a private health insurance for my whole family it wouldn’t be that much more expensive than what I pay now, especially as at the moment I"m classed as a higher income earner so I have to contribute a much bigger amount these days. I don’t get a penny in child benefit from the government (not entitled as huji is not in Taipei…not property owner here…but I pay tax here) nor did I get unemployment benefit when I was unemployed for a time even though I paid labour insurance for years and I pay my wife’s health insurance and her labor insurance as well as she is not working now . To compare to my home country I’d be entitled to social welfare there as would my wife, also our kids would get substantial child benefit (medical costs are more expensive but they are introducing free medical care for kids now there). If I don’t pay for any of the family members insurance in Taiwan the government will ask for all the missing premiums in the future if they try to re-apply (this already happened and I had to pay a tonne of money to make up ‘missing’ payments’). I also pay more tax than most business owners here. I would also have to pay fees for public school here.
So I don’t think it’s paradise for families , especially if you can’t afford to buy a property in the right areas. The main way I save money are the cheap rents and relatively lower income taxes (compared to the West).

Saw a young guy yesterday in Taipei wearing clothes styled after the uniform of Nazi-Germany’s foot soldiers, complete with cap. I was too tired to approach him and most likely hear some bullshit response to my question of why he is wearing this kind of clothes. If I see him again, maybe I tell him that both my grandfathers died wearing those uniforms, one somewhere close to Moscow fighting the Russians, one killed with a knife in a POW camp (where he was guarding Ukrainian soldiers; I know, they were on the side of the bad guys). WWII was horrible and Germany as a whole probably deserved what they got in the end. For me a uniform like that makes me think of all the suffering, the cruelty and the pointlessness of that war, and of course the complete failure of Nazi Germany. Only someone completely ignorant or stupid would wear those kind of clothes. Wouldn’t you want to wear the uniform of the winning side? :loco:

Winning sides are so mainstream.

Yeah… it seems Asia in general has this WW2 fetish: Kids in Thailand wear this stuff, all supported by a great deal of “fan articles”. From flags, over uniforms to model concentration camps with a mini-Hitler (seen in Singapore’s Funan Mall).

Young generation, different cultural background, dull-minded education, no awareness, interest nor decency. But then: any war is cruel, unnecessary and tragic for the majority (while beneficial for a few). That said you can find items in any mainstream toy store that is glorifying war and violence in it’s multiple facets guns, knives, uniforms. It’s also okay to feature all sorts of war tools as “cool stuff” in a TV documentary - cool stuff that has brought suffering for many. Meanwhile any trace of a female breast is censored, Now all these double standards are twisted and “whack”, not only in Taiwan.

Reminds me of Prince Harry’s Halloween costume. :doh:

Yeah - he is a special specimen: bright and fully aware of his exposure. I’m sure granny twisted his ears and grounded him :wink:

It’s the Germans in 'em coming out again.

In my observation old people exhibit the worst of rotten, selfish, disgusting and vile behaviors.[/quote]
:bravo: :notworthy: :notworthy: Goddamn right… If there is shoving on a train or a bus… its an old fucker skipping the que waiting for people to get off so he/she can push his way on… and the cough… like this:

Debating if I should start farting as loudly as my asian co-workers do throughout the workday.
I dropped some silent but violent ones… but never audible.

speaking of shit:
The bathroom that we share with 4 other offices on our floor… someone never, ever flushes after taking a shit. I am so dramatized I open the doors to public bathroom stalls incredibly slow so I can avoid direct eye contact with the Cosby Kids.

I was in Taidong last weekend having dinner with the family at a beef noodle place when a middle-aged Taiwanese couple sat down at the table next to us with a take-away pizza box. They each manipulated a slice of pizza out of the box and into their bowls using chopsticks, and proceeded to eat the pizza with chopsticks while waiting for their beef noodles to arrive. They arrived after us, but managed to scoff down the pizza, and the beef noodles, and leave before we did. Someone at our table noted that in Taipei you can’t bring food from outside into restaurants, but in Taidong it’s OK. Nobody commented on the pizza with chopsticks.

I am always amazed at Taiwanese people’s ability to scoff terrifying quantities of food and not get that fat. Who would eat a pizza and then beef noodles? :laughing:

What the hell?

What the hell?[/quote]

Racist as hell.

What the hell?[/quote]

I too was “dramatized” after seeing that. :noway:

As I’m exiting a restaurant woman starts to talk to her dog in English.
Dog is a little…confused. :loco:

[quote=“headhonchoII”]As I’m exiting a restaurant woman starts to talk to her dog in English.
Dog is a little…confused. :loco:[/quote]

Interesting, I have seen that as well. I thought maybe was because I was nearby…you know, sometimes Taiwanese break out their English when they see an English speaking foreigner…like the parents who start talking to their kids in English when they see me.

Well, I guess the problem is if the owner expects the dog to respond in English.

She only started the English routine when she saw me.

People with surgical masks… below their chins. Not using them, take 'em off. It ugly. :doh: