Wack Things in Taiwan (part 3)

Congrats on finding a way–however circuitous–to get this awful situation solved.

The longer-term project is to find ways for people here to actually want to not act like jackasses, on their own, without public shaming. Dare to dream!

Guy

80 year old ama is upset when son does not come home so she throws a million ntd dollars -in brand new blue bills- she had for him into a temple’s incense burner…

Luckily part of the money was recovered.

My husband’s family owns a restaurant.

Every time I go there (and I mean every time ~at one point 2 to 3 times a week) some guy gets really drunk, starts screaming at his friends and threatens them with a beer bottle. Sometimes they break it, sometimes not.

Why are 50 year old drunk men so violent here!?

Those NT100 per plate rechao restaurants are like this every night, cheap food + cheap beer -> obnoxious patrons.

Ahem, I take some umbrage with your question.

#notall50yearolddrunkmen

:joy::joy:

Point taken

Tonight’s weather was the nicest weather prob in the past 3-4 months so I decided to take a stroll without my cell phone or any distractions.

I walk up to a corner and see a grandma in a wheelchair with her helper standing behind her. They were both waiting to cross the street. But some douche parked his car slanted up on the corner of the crosswalk, basically blocking the wheelchair/bike ramp for both direction.

I walked up to the grandma and asked if she needed to cross the street and she said yes. I looked in the car and noticed a mom and her kid in the passenger side. I knocked on her window, she didn’t open. I knocked harder, still nothing. The grandma (bless her heart) told me it was no problem and that she could wait. Now this really grinds my gear, I slam my fist on the car’s front windshield and as I did that, this man walks casually out of the 711 and into the car. He gave me this nasty look and his response when I told him he shouldn’t park here was, “What are you going to do about it?” Some people here…

The grandma did say thanks.

Let me guess, was it a BMW?

If you took out your phone and snapped a picture that included the car, license plate and the douchebag position it parked you could’ve reported it to the police and the dude would have gotten a nice fine.

2 Likes

Is that still possible to do?

Yes, I believe so.

A friend on FB posted that someone sent in a video of her changing lanes without using her blinker.

If I knew how to do this, I would share.

1 Like

Yeesh, it’s easy. Just don’t use your turn signal when you move from one lane to another.

1 Like

A friend was driving on the access road leading to highway. He smashed into a car parked directly in the middle of the access road. Luckily no one was hurt. As the police questioned the man why was he parked directly at the spot where cars are trying to enter the highway he said “I was helping direct traffic.” He was with a group of expensive sports cars traveling together and appears he was trying to keep other cars from entering the highway while the sports cars were driving by. Maybe did not want other cars to break up the pack of sports cars as they sped along together. The police response to his reason “Directing traffic is our job.”

Please tell me the parked car got at least a ticket and will be liable for your friend’s damages?!

Well, if the expensive car is any indicator of things, it would seem the guy with the sports car has money and likely Guanxi. So I would be skeptical in this situation.

If the guy’s car was parked (albeit in the middle of the road) and your friend drove into it, surely it was your friend’s fault.

1 Like

My friend is waiting for the final determination of who bears all or partial responsibility.

Sadly, I believe this is exactly how it works here. If you drive into the back of something, it’s your fault, even if that something was in an astoundingly stupid place.

That’s how it works in most countries. If your friend couldn’t see and stop in time for a parked car, what hope would a pedestrian have had?

Yes, up to a point. But pedestrians are not supposed to walk on slip roads, precisely because cars on that trajectory MUST be traveling at high speed. The law tends to allow for that sort of thing when assessing compensation etc.

Slip roads are not freeway, they are the entry and exit from the freeway and often have lower speed limits. There is no requirement to be travelling at high speed, in fact many sliproads run traffic lights at busy periods. The merging lane is where the getting up to speed occurs.