Wages for skilled work in Taiwan

Aside from FAANG which is around 130k starting these days for new grads, there are a few software startups that also pay more than 100k. One example of the top of my head would be MixerBox.

Generally though I agree it’s pathetic for software engineers in Taiwan. You probably have to be the top 5% in Taiwan to get a decent wage right out of college. In the US, however, it’s a very different story…

1 Like

these make up a small portion of SEs in Taiwan. Based on what I have seen on 104 job bank, it is quite difficult to find SE jobs (and jobs in general) paying more than NT$60k per month

We have discussed it many times. Salaries higher than a certain level are almost never advertised with full disclosure, instead they simply say “higher than x”. Higher than 60k could be a million. Also there’s always the bonuses.

Source: My job offers.

Keep in mind that this is just the salary from the hospital.

If they own, or work, at a clinic that’s another rev stream.

I know one doctor, a recent GP grad from Taida that makes 280k-ish.

My experience is that if the job paid NT$1 million or more, it is usually stated as a range in the ad

Only 115,000 people earn NT$2.5M and above or 5% of the population. I meet people often who I’d consider not earning too bad by Western standards. 5% strikes me as a small group, but not too small. You’ll still run into them.

I just find it nearly impossible to afford property here if you aren’t in that 5% group.But honestly, tax avoidance seems a bit like a national pastime here, so I don’t know how accurate those numbers truly are.

1 Like

It says “annual disposable personal income”, which is after tax. I’d say it’s inaccurate as most landlords and small business owners don’t report their real income.

3 Likes

Most people are salaried workers though, so it’s not entirely inaccurate I reckon. Take that subset out. Also, many small biz owners don’t earn a lot.

1 Like

Many salaried workers are also landlords…

1 Like

How much would landlords even make? Surely for most normal landlords their rental yearly earnings wouldn’t be comparable to 2.5Million? Rental earnings probably between 200k-500k for most right?

You can just tack on a lumpsum and use that stat then. I think it’s reasonable that Top 5% salaried worker make 3 Million NT per year post tax

2 Likes

Some yes (most, definitely not), just small time landlords. And most landlords in Taiwan are surely 50 plus and retirees i.e. older generation.

1 Like