"WAI GUO REN" Nali, Nali?

Everyone knows that Beijing uses the er sound, check a text book man.

Geez, I was born in Beijing man.

I’m still very much into Beijing (or rather Tianjin) pronunciation (hot potato :wink: ) myself but I thought it either was “nar” or “nali”?

Are there standardized books for learning English here? Couldn’t they point out some things in these like: don’t point at foreigners with saying “waiguoren” and don’t abuse every foreigner for free English lessons? I was once standing in a shop with friends and speaking GERMAN when that guy asked whether we had time to explain some English grammar to him! Oops, getting off topic again.

I hardly ever respond to the “waiguoren” thing. But I usually correct them as soon as they point at me and say “meiguoren” (or “yingguoren” or whatever). Maybe I should just start pointing at them and say “hanguoren” or “ribenren”? But then, they’d probably just consider me another stupid foreigner instead of grasping my meaning.

:frowning:

Iris

Yeah. I just can’t seem to keep up with you and the other sheep around here.

I must confess, I don’t know why tigerman is getting so much hostility. One little “FU” and you’re a persona non grata? What happened to your karma, tigerman? Did you give it away or did it get zapped? If it got zapped, seems a little uncalled for. If not, nevermind.

Have to agree to a certain extent with Chainsmoker there. Tigerman might be a bit catty but his posts are fun and full of passion. I think it’s a tad sad when people are dumped just 'cause they’re speaking their minds (rightly or wrongly).

I gave some of my karma to Susana because she had the courage to confront the two police officers who were being cruel to a dog.

Its either “nar” or “nali”, but it isn’t “narli”.

Then you have no excuse for being incorrect. Unless, that is, your head was so far up your arse that you were unable to hear correctly.

Just yankin’ your chains boys.

Well, Tigerman, I topped you back up, in part because you responded so positively to my request for no profanities directed at people, and in part because I was afraid another mod zapped you for the same posts we were talking about. It’s a double jeopardy clause… Or at least it should be.

I shall make the appropriate correction to the post title. It is now “Nali Nali???”

Happy now? Or should I perhaps throw myself off a building to appease the god of Chinese grammar?

BTW I wasn’t born in Beijing :shock: I cover my ignorance with deceit and lies :smiling_imp: However, I always 'fess up
:blush:

When I’m in a very bad mood and an odious little brat spurts out a “waiguoren” announcement in a more-than-usually obnoxious tone, I grab the little perisher, twist off its head, and kick it out of sight.

No, not really … that’s just my fantasy.

I truth, I’m all but immune to it now.

If they’re kids, I recommend pointing back with a smile and saying in the same tone of voice, “Xiao peng yo!” (“Little friends!”)

No need to feel intimidated. As Lesbrianna might say, we need to reclaim the labels of “wai guo ren” and “adogah”! Big-nose pride!

I always thought that ‘nali nali’ was used for humble self-effacement when someone compliments you.

Taiwanren: Nide Zhongwen jiangde hen hao. (Your Chinese rocks.)
Waiguoren: Nali nali. (No, no, it’s not really that good.)

… And if you add a “guo jiang la” after the “nali nali”, then it really rocks!

Thank you.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine today, and she said that to most local people, “Attogah” is a compliment. I asked her why she was patting my horse’s butt, and she said that she was genuine.

I think it’s no big deal, really. But that’s just me.