Waiting for the other

Hi there,

I’m curious to know how much waiting time for the GF/BF is OK and where do you draw that line -when you agreed to meet somewhere e.g. clubbing? (Not in the case of PXJ but in a healthy relationship/first date.)

1. Has anything changed since you moved to Taiwan compaired to your home country?

2. How so? Are you more patient or less or no difference at all?

3. Do you think it’s OK for the girl to wait 30 min if he’s late? Do you think it’s OK for him to wait 30 min?

4. What excuse is acceptable? - many people use traffic jams as excuses. What about you? What was the lamest excuse you ever heard?

Thank you very much for your :2cents: .

This is one area that I find seems to happen everywhere I go! I think people these days just have their own schedule. If you fit into it, great. If not, suck it up buttercup. I am a very punctual person. I find some people who are kindred spirits on this but generally, no matter the country, people make their own time frames. I usually figure it out pretty darn quick and then use the “Sam-Time” (insert friend name and then put time at the end!) measure and judge my time accordingly. If Sam is usually 10 minutes late to arrive after a set time, I just show up 10 mins later than I usually would. Works like a charm!

I think the answer is, “it depends”. For some bizarre reason Westerners insist on imagining that it’s possible to control journey times, even though we know perfectly well that it isn’t. All sorts of things can throw a spanner in the works, especially if you’re going to a place you don’t travel to regularly, or a significant distance away. The result is that we get massively stressed if our schedule isn’t working out just-so, but if we stopped to think about it, 90% of the time it doesn’t actually matter.

The trick is to make sure it doesn’t matter. Are you planning to go to a bar? Well, meet at the bar then. If you arrive first, go there, sit down, have a beer. If you’ve got noplace special to go, or for whatever reason you have to wait, bring a book. I get through about six books and magazines a month on my Kindle, just reading in odd moments. Or use the time to think. I never have enough time for thinking. As long as whoever-you’re-waiting-for isn’t 30 or 40 minutes late, it’s really no big deal.

Thank you for your :2cents: . I’m very punctual or even arrive early, mostly because I do not want to be late regardless if it’s a business or private matter.

I’ve just stopped waiting for the girl I liked and told I liked for 2 years. She knew that I like her about a year ago, and I told her so about 10 months ago. She has a boyfriend and has been hot and cold with me for about that long. She would never tell me she likes me, but she’d go on mini trips with me. I’ve set a deadline for my waiting, and today is it, and she still wouldn’t commit to me, or even tell me that she likes me. So that’s it.

But I guess I am totally off topic.

[quote=“hansioux”]I’ve just stopped waiting for the girl I liked and told I liked for 2 years. She knew that I like her about a year ago, and I told her so about 10 months ago. She has a boyfriend and has been hot and cold with me for about that long. She would never tell me she likes me, but she’d go on mini trips with me. I’ve set a deadline for my waiting, and today is it, and she still wouldn’t commit to me, or even tell me that she likes me. So that’s it.

But I guess I am totally off topic.[/quote]

Well, 30 mins is bad enough. 2 years is just ridiculous. Did you bring a book? :slight_smile:

OP - I see what you mean now. 30 mins is simply taking the piss, especially if it happens regularly. Could also be a passive-aggressive thing (punishment for some past transgression of yours, real or imagined). Even so, a lot of Taiwanese people have “more important” pressures, such as the boss wanting them to put in an extra half hour at the office to carry out some pointless task. What sort of excuses do you get?

for 2 years i think i should have brought a tent.

I had a close Aussie friend was regularly an hour late, just the way it was for her. Used to annoy me but I learned to factor it in like the OP.
in some countries they don’t always like to set exact times for meetings, like India and China, probably because the traffic is so bloody bad there. I guess it’s the same in Brazil and Indonesia.

[quote=“LYT12”]Hi there,

I’m curious to know how much waiting time for the GF/BF is OK and where do you draw that line -when you agreed to meet somewhere e.g. clubbing? (Not in the case of PXJ but in a healthy relationship/first date.)

1. Has anything changed since you moved to Taiwan compaired to your home country?

2. How so? Are you more patient or less or no difference at all?

3. Do you think it’s OK for the girl to wait 30 min if he’s late? Do you think it’s OK for him to wait 30 min?

4. What excuse is acceptable? - many people use traffic jams as excuses. What about you? What was the lamest excuse you ever heard?

Thank you very much for your :2cents: .[/quote]

Personally, in a healthy relationship, I don’t care about how much time I should wait. For me, it’s all about consideration. If my gf is running late, I expect her to give me a call prior to our meeting time (maybe even 1 minute before we’re to meet) that she’s running late. And usually, the same is expected of me. However, I will not take repeated calls of “I’ll be there in 15,” especially when you can hear her slammin’ it back at happy hour with her drunk coworkers in the background. In that case, it’s just rude.

I always try to maintain the approach that I will not wait longer then 60 minutes for my GFs in Taiwan. They , on the other hand, have generally adopted the approach that I should be there when they arrive. Luckily they have generally NOT arrived on time, so I have been there.

But honestly I do think that one should not let the other wait more then 30 minutes . And especially in these days with everyone having a cellfone, one can update the other down to the minute really.