Walking a dog...that can't walk

Hey guys. Looking for advice. We have a gorgeous 6 year old golden retriever. About a month and a half ago, she got very sick with a digestive problem. Ends up she could not digest food and had to stay in the hospital for a while. She got very underweight (under 13 kg).

Well…she started getting better. The disease was pretty much gone. BUT she hurt her back as she was going down the stairs where we take her out back to use the bathroom. It is only 2 stairs, but she decided to try to walk down them by putting her head down first on the step.

Now she has little use of her back legs. She sees a vet weekly and has pain medicine and is getting better. We massage her a few times a day and move her legs. We switch positions as she is resting so she is not always sitting in the same exact spot. We walk her regularly by putting a towel around her and living her up. She is beginning to be able to even stand for a few seconds on her own now and is starting to move her back legs the proper way as she walks that way. So there is progress. But…

I am looking for other rehab ideas. I’d also love to know if there is a dog pool anywhere. (Do they have to wear speedos and swim caps?)

Good on you for the loving care. Write to Stray Dog as he has treated dogs with acupuncture as far as I know for back leg problems.

If she doesn’t recover the use of the legs then consider a wheelchair. I’ve seen lots of dogs use them and they adjust very quickly to a two-legged life.

I think this will help:
alma-vet.com/newsdetail.php?id=98

That device and taking her for a swim in a swimming pool.

The articles says if the dog doesn’t feel deep pain sensations, then chances of recovery is slimmer. If the dog can still feel deep pain sensations then operation and rehab will more likely yield results. Basically what they do to test for deep pain sensation is use a pair of tweezers to pinch a toe. If the dog barks or cries, then she still has deep pain sensations. If the dog doesn’t feel a thing or has localized twitches, then she has lost deep pain sensations.

Many dogs are euthanized for their back injuries due to the fact that they no longer have bowel control or are unable to move outside to take care of business. Some study points out, out of 9 dogs without deep pain sensations, 2 dogs were able to regain some motor control, but they still don’t walk 100% like they used to.

If the dog can wag the tail on his/her own, then it’s a positive sign. Test the dog monthly for deep pain sensations.

I also want to thank you for taking great care of your dog.

As Mucha Man says, this is an option (if she has use of her front legs):

They do offer acupuncture at several vets, like the NTU’s Vet hospital. My Toto was seeing a Chinese medicine vet with the equipment for acupuncture for dogs in Chang An Road, Taipei.

I know of a swimming pool for dogs in Neihu. You go in the water with doggie wearing those boot-suit thinghies like fishermen.

When Toto had his stroke, I would take him to the park and let him sit on the grass. He would eventually try to get up, and I would help him try, but at his pace. Slowly, he regained use of his limbs. Hope yours makes a speedy recovery.

Have you considered taking her to a pool and strengthening her hind legs in the water?
Maybe a clinic would have some kind of water therapy available?

Yes there is a dog pool in Xindian.
Gooddog 寵物游泳池| 寵物住宿
231, Taiwan, New Taipei City, Xindian District, 永興路10-1號
+886 2 2666 0178
facebook.com/gooddogcaf

Mandatory swimwear:

kidding :laughing:

[quote=“Gryphon”]Yes there is a dog pool in Xindian…
Mandatory swimwear…[/quote]
Pshaw. That’s just silly. We all know it’s swim caps that are required.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. She still does have deep pain sensations, which is good. She got really pissy with the vet last time they grabbed her toes. :slight_smile:

We’ll check out a pool next weekend.

I saw someone walking a medium-large size dog with a big huge rubber air-filled tube around its neck and I’m wondering why it has that big thing around its head.

It’s kind of dark and a few minutes later I see the dog bouncing around on one front leg and every now and then it misses a step and falls down but the air-filled tube catches him so it doesn’t bang his face or nose or chin on the ground.

What a great idea.

4 Likes