Wang Jin-pyng, the fox eyeing the presidential henhouse

At 74 and having only just narrowly avoided getting kicked out of his party, Wang Jin-pyng 王金平, the head of the Legislative Yuan, is an unlikely pick to represent the embattled KMT in the presidential election in January 2016. But driven by a lack of any other convincing contenders, that seems exactly how things may pan out.

Wang has represented the KMT in the legislature for an astounding 40 years – from the time that some legislators were still appointed to represent constituencies in the forsaken Chinese mainland. Since 1999, Wang was elected head of the legislature, and has since become one of the most powerful, most recognizable, and perhaps ironically, most mysterious secretive figures in local politics. He has presided over a parliamentary body known for its boisterousness and lack of procedure, often letting the chaos unfold naturally save for a few key times he intentionally stepped in to restore order. Partially because of his willingness to question KMT leadership, particularly President Ma’s, he has been said to be someone with “green bones draped in blue skin” 藍皮綠骨, indicating a widespread belief that the Kaohsiung native is sympathetic to the DPP.

Indeed, he is as evasive as a fox and an important powerbroker in Taipei. His friendships across the political aisle – notably a closeness to people such as DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming 柯建銘, and his apparent tacit support for the Sunflower Movement protesters seem to paint him as a someone who leans green. Just as likely: he is simply out to undermine Ma Ying-jeou 馬英九 anyway he can.

The Ma-Wang rivalry goes back to way before Ma tried (and spectacularly failed) to boot Wang from the party in late 2013. In 2005, the two duked it out to determine who would be the head of the KMT. It was a vital election for the party, which had for the first time in its long history found itself out of power. Under four years of a new Taiwan under President Chen Shui-bian 陳水扁 of the DPP, the KMT was lost, directionless, and seemingly very much out of touch. Whoever grabbed the reins of the party could steer it to a new dawn – as Ma ended up doing (for the first four years of his presidency, anyway). As a former justice minister and the well-liked mayor of Taipei, one of Ma’s big issues was taking down corruption, and he implied that Wang Jin-pyng was in his cross-hairs for possible wrongdoings. After being defeated in a landslide, Wang refused to work with Ma inside the party and quit his post as vice chairman of the KMT.

Their uneasy frienemy relationship took a turn for the worse when Ma opened a crusade to oust Wang in September 2013. An illegal wiretap of the Legislative Yuan, perpetrated by agents of the Justice Ministry, uncovered evidence that Wang had pressured a judge not to push further in a case against Wang’s colleague from the legislature, Ker Chien-ming, who had just had a breach of trust conviction overturned in the High Court. Ker asked Wang, at the nexus of the nation’s corridors of power, to exert pressure on Justice Minister Tseng Yung-fu 曾勇夫 to drop an appeal that would have brought Ker’s case to the Supreme Court.

Before any wrongdoing on Wang’s part had been proven, Ma spoke loftily about the virtues of clean governance and took it as a pretext to summarily strip Wang of his party membership – a move that, if successful, would have removed him from the Legislative Yuan because he was elected as a KMT-nominated legislator at large. The wily Wang brought the case to court, arguing that the case was of a national importance (as it was) and the leadership of the legislature should not be subject to the arbitrary whims of a the KMT chairman. He won an injunction, allowing him to keep his seat, and the court later ruled in his favor. Ma Ying-jeou’s popularity began to take a huge nosedive around this time; how much of that we can credit to Wang Jin-pyng and his sympathy-inducing appeals to news cameras is up for debate.

Largely shielded by the walls of the Legislative Yuan, Wang was brought out into the national spotlight again almost exactly one year ago, when students Lin Fei-fan 林飛帆 and Chen Wei-ting 陳為廷 led the charge into the legislature building, which they and their fellow protesters occupied for three weeks to speak out against the cross-strait trade-in-services agreement and its forced passage during a chaotic legislative session. Regardless of whether you support the Sunflowers, it’s certain that the situation could have been ended immediately if police removed the students from the building. They did not, chiefly because Wang Jin-pyng did not let them.

The Sunflower situation was thoroughly embarrassing to Ma, and Wang doubtlessly relished in it. When Ma called an emergency meeting at his office with the premier and the legislative president – a desperate and unusual move for Taiwan’s normally aloof leadership – Wang did not show up at the designated time. Instead, he sent a single-page fax explaining the issue was one for the Legislative Yuan to handle and had nothing to do with the executive branch. (As I recall, he was supposed to be at the Presidential Office at 8. He sent his fax at 8:15.) Only when Wang decided enough damage had been done did he meet with Sunflower leaders and in almost no time at all negotiate an end to the historic protest.

Whether Wang is true-blue or green-blooded is hard to say for sure. Over his long career, he has been painted as a crooked protector for politicians from any party dipping their hands into the public cookie jar. Peng Ming-hui 彭明輝, a retired engineering professor at Tsing Hua University and respected commentator, said this of Wang: “Wang Jin-pyng may do many terrible things behind people’s backs, but he respects the will of the people more than Ma Ying-jeou does.” (王金平雖然在人後做了許多壞事,但其較馬英九更尊重民意)

In the end, Wang’s political views and platform are as murky as his closed-door dealings. What nobody can deny is that he is clever, well spoken, and even affable. And all the signs point to a presidential run despite his advanced age. He has artfully dodged questions about a run by the media, leaving the country to wonder if he will take up the flag for 2016. At a speech at Taipei University of Science and Technology this Thursday, he championed the popular issue of constitutional amendments and blasted the current system for giving the power to the president but all the liability to the premier. Talking to the students, he said cryptically: “It’s unavoidable that my appearance has changed a lot (over the years), but my mindset is: I’m still young and capable, and I want to make more contributions to the people of this nation. In this youthful naivety, I will never flinch.” (我的容貌有多大改變那是難免,但是反正我的心態如果說,我還是年輕我還是有能力做事情,要為國家人民來做奉獻,這份赤子之心不要有任何退縮。)

He is a very different mold from Ma and the KMT leaders of years past, but whether for legitimate or other reasons, he has just what the KMT needs coming off its bitter defeat last year: friends all across Taiwan’s treacherous political landscape. He may be the most treacherous of them all.

40 gaffs Wang, what could go wrong.
Nicely written post, but this guy
Is getting old now and ‘probably’ crooked as all hell. the legislators first task is to contribute to themselves.

I do respect that he helped to sort out the sunflower movement occupation of legislative yuan without more violence though…even if it was for ulterior motives.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good article HWW!

My money is on Wang JinPing vs Chen Chu. Both are wily politicians willing to do the dirty work.

I’m not sure WJP would be able to get all the KMT behind him if he runs, the KMT might splinter even more with all the controversies linked to him.

Nicely written post, Hokwongwei.

I said awhile back in another thread that I think WJP would make a good vice-presidential candidate. His main flaw, as you’ve noted, is his age. That’s why the vice-president post would be better, since the VP really doesn’t do a lot except be a stand-in when the president is either abroad or physically incapacitated or croaks. The VP does do some things behind the scenes, which seems to be WJP’s speciality anyway.

Whether or not the KMT can win the next presidential election is of course the big question. Ma really trashed the party with his attempt to ram the service trade agreement through the legislature at all costs. And the cost was indeed high, as the last round of local elections showed. I’m sure many in the KMT would love to tar & feather Ma for that fiasco. So the KMT had better come up with a charismatic and well-liked candidate if they want to repair their battered reputation. If they put up a joint Sean Lien / Alex Tsai ticket, they will be buried.

It’s the right choice. Tsai is going to win. It will take pressure off Eric Chu to runin 2016, which I think would not be in his best interests. 2020 is Chu’s time.

Totally. 2016 for the blue camp is all about holding serve. Lose by a small margin, steady the ship and make a comeback in 2020.

Taiwan is facing many problems, most of which are extremely complicated and has no quick fixes. Naturally, the people are going to blame the party in charge of the government for not finding a good fix. Its time the DPP tries its hand at governing once again and take the blame for not coming up with a good fix.
How do you get a nuclear free Taiwan and keep the electricity rates low? How do you negotiate with China without the one china principle? How do you grow the economy and lift wages without over relying on China? I’m not going to root for the DPP to fail but I would be astonished if they succeeded.

Right! So maybe for the next couple of decades we might have an alternating, take-in-turns blue n’ green governing of the island? If that happens that would hardly be a bad thing. It might actually be a good thing.

Totally. 2016 for the blue camp is all about holding serve. Lose by a small margin, steady the ship and make a comeback in 2020. [/quote]
I hope KMT never makes a comeback, and it’d be much harder for KMT to make a comeback in 2020 as youngsters are usually very anti-KMT.

[quote]
Taiwan is facing many problems, most of which are extremely complicated and has no quick fixes. Naturally, the people are going to blame the party in charge of the government for not finding a good fix. Its time the DPP tries its hand at governing once again and take the blame for not coming up with a good fix. [/quote]
KMT does have made certain things much much worse than before 2008 over these 7 years, I’d say people are blaming them for the right reasons. But yeah many of those problems are just chronicle and need to take a decade or several to settle.

[quote]
How do you get a nuclear free Taiwan and keep the electricity rates low?[/quote]
Good point. But Chu is also opposed to nuclear energy and I think Tsai’s current goal is to cut down one nuclear power plant, instead of a nuclear free island.

[quote]
How do you negotiate with China without the one china principle?[/quote]
I wish DPP could grow some balls and just say it out loud - There’s only one China and Taiwan is not part of that China, simple as that. The development would be interesting. How could Xi still be a strong-arm leader when he couldn’t even keep the bottom line(92 non-consensus) of his predecessor in terms of their Taiwan policy?

You probably didn’t mean it that way but this sounds like overly relying on China is the only way to grow the economy and lift wages while the last 7 years have only proved the exact opposite.

[quote]
I’m not going to root for the DPP to fail but I would be astonished if they succeeded.[/quote]
I agree.

Right! So maybe for the next couple of decades we might have an alternating, take-in-turns blue n’ green governing of the island? If that happens that would hardly be a bad thing. It might actually be a good thing.[/quote]

Whether the blues and greens will alternate will be decided by the people, for the people. As per Minquan (民權主義), the 2nd Principle of Dr Sun Yat-sen’s vision for the ROC.

If there is a KMT primary, I don’t think Wang will win, and this is why.

KMT have been pushing centrist members away ever since Ma became the KMT chairman. Those who remain are either very good at hiding their true intentions, local-czars like ex-Miaoli mayor Liu Zhenghong (劉政鴻), or vultures fighting over PRC interests, like Ma and the Lien family.

These people will not vote for Wang in a primary, especially so since the KMT holds closed-door primaries. That’s why so far those who showed intentions to run want the primary to be based on polls. In open-national polls Wang would certainly come out ahead, but I’m sure the two rival pro-PRC factions weren’t just let that happen. Those in favor of Chu wants a party member poll instead.

You don’t consider Eric Chu a centrist?

Unless the definition of centrist is being a tool for others, then Chu is very centrist, otherwise no.

Eric Chu is Ma 2.0. He is copying Ma from not making an opinion on things to not taking responsibility for things.

I suspect that old Wang is more green than he is blue. I think President Ma shares in my view; in my opinion, that’s why Ma wanted to get Wang kicked out of the KMT. For old Wang, being 74 years old, when he was a young man saw the KMT as the best avenue for achieving whatever it is he wanted to achieve. Greens are good at being opportunists.

and blues are good at illegally getting rid of people in their way. :unamused:

and blues are good at getting rid of people in their way illegally. :unamused:[/quote]

It was a rough and terrible journey. However, blues were instrumental in making Taiwan the vibrant democracy it is today.

and blues are good at getting rid of people in their way illegally. :unamused:[/quote]

It was a rough and terrible journey. However, blues were instrumental in making Taiwan the vibrant democracy it is today.[/quote]

Given that WJP started his political career in the mid 1970s, he really didn’t have much choice in joining the KMT if he wanted to be a serious politician. Back then the choice wasn’t Blue or Green; it was KMT or Green island.

“Rough and terrible journey”? Seriously? That is how you describe 40 years dictatorship and martial law, gangster killings and wholesale military slaughter of civilians by the KMT

Can you at least agree that the journey was “rough and terrible” because of the Blues? Or did the Greens and other resisters choose to kill and imprison and exile themselves?

It was a rough and terrible journey. However, blues were instrumental in making Taiwan the vibrant democracy it is today.[/quote]

Given that WJP started his political career in the mid 1970s, he really didn’t have much choice in joining the KMT if he wanted to be a serious politician. Back then the choice wasn’t Blue or Green; it was KMT or Green island.[/quote]

After Democratization, Wang could have changed his party. I believe Lee Teng-hui has. Ko, to both my joy and dismay, has done quite well not affiliating with any party.

why do they have to change their party? I thought it’s a democracy, and people can work within a party to make it better suit the need of the people. :ponder: