Wankers!

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]I get mad when I see an ad that says, “must be under 40 years of age”.
Those pusillanimous popinjays![/quote]
Well, they have a point though, you have to admit. After all, there’s that old people smell, apart from anything else.

I dreamed I saw TomHill write:

Lower bottom line:
The advert was from a business specifying what they were looking for - knowing this fact in advance, it is not correct in speculating that any ‘discrimination’ has occurred. If one does not have the requirements asked for in the advert one is wasting their time and the time of the would-be employer by applying for a position when they know they do not have the qualities the potential employer is looking for.
I am not saying they do not have the right to bitch and moan about it on the internet. Nor am I saying that any of the counter-arguments are not perfectly correct. But that is what the employer wants and IMO it is not some terrible racist/sexist, or whatever PC buzz-word one wishes to insert, discrimination. Its merely what the employer has decided they want.

I am American, from the USA, and I speak with a sometimes noticeable Southern accent. I can remove it without difficulty, but its my normal mode. When I drink I sometimes slip into a Scottish burr reminiscent of my hearing my Mother & Father speaking at home in my youth. And quite a few persons have told me my Chinese/VietNamese sounds Italian…go figure.

I prefer Havana Club over Bacardi, but my favorite rum is from Nicaragua.

My spelchuk says ‘humour’ should be spelled ‘humor.’

Personally I think its more the ‘teacher’ than the accent. And when the kiddo get to college in the USA he probably won’t be able to understand his Polish/Chinese/Korean/Russian/Insane TA anyway.

In the first place, employers can’t apply for a work permit unless you are from what are considered English speaking countries, so yes, discriminating on the basis of nationality is acceptable. I suppose you meant to say it’s not acceptable to discriminate if the applicant is from an “English speaking country” but again, what if his accent is so bloody strong even most native speakers have difficulty with?

Bottom line: a qualified native English speaker who can speak clearly should be given an interview, unless there is a compelling reason for one accent (or cultural background) over another. But some discrimination against a potential employee based on nationality and accent is perfectly reasonable for the reasons given above.

TC, you is missing a bracket at the start of the quote, yo!

Applying UK law, asking for candidates from a certain nationality is discrimination.
But you guys are on the rock, so I guess where madness reigns, fools are kings.

Loretta, I stand with you. But not next to you, cos your shirt is blinding my eyes.

Tanks TonHull…heh heh heh…

So does that mean you think it’s fine for people to specify “no Hispanics,” “no Jews”, etc. If not, why not? I can’t see a difference.

[quote=“TomHill”]Applying UK law, asking for candidates from a certain nationality is discrimination.
But you guys are on the rock, so I guess where madness reigns, fools are kings. [/quote]I believe it’s illegal here too, or will be soon. But then so is sexual discrimination, and you see ads asking for a particular gender all the time.

You mean me? No. Those are ethnic groups not nationalities. If a school were to say no Spanish that would be fine as again they cannot be hired legally and given the needed work permits.

If they do not have ‘American accents’ (whatever the heck that may be) then they should be of sufficient intelligence to understand the employer is not looking for them to hire.

IMO, its a ringer to throw in the nationality/race/religion/color card.

If they do not have ‘American accents’ (whatever the heck that may be) then they should be of sufficient intelligence to understand the employer is not looking for them to hire.

IMO, its a ringer to throw in the nationality/race/religion/color card.[/quote]
Bullshit. It’s EXACTLY what the original ad states. I, for example, can speak good enough Boston, Little Rock, Houston, New York, Liverpool, Manc, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Edmonton, etc. etc. to fool people over the phone, yet these stupid cocksuckers are discriminating against me because of my nationality.

Bullshit. It’s EXACTLY what the original ad states. I, for example, can speak good enough Boston, Little Rock, Houston, New York, Liverpool, Manc, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Edmonton, etc. etc. to fool people over the phone, yet these stupid cocksuckers are discriminating against me because of my nationality.[/quote]

I find this thread utterly hilarious. After about what? 3 years as a member on F.com, I am now watching as the Brits get railed against. This is priceless with all Y’ALLz bitchin’. OH CANADUH!

[quote=“M0NSTER”]

I find this thread utterly hilarious. After about what? 3 years as a member on F.com, I am now watching as the Brits get railed against. This is priceless with all Y’ALLz bitchin’. OH CANADUH![/quote]

Yes, but it is a bally fool who takes on the Brits. We shall unite, fight cleanly, drink lots, and jolly well win in style. Pip pip for the Brits!

I think asking only for language teachers who speak a desired dialect or accent is a reasonable request. If people want to learn a particular dialect of a language, they should not be forced to learn another simply to suit the needs of the teacher.

North American accents are preferred here. There are whole other chunks of the tefl planet where this is not the case. In any event, whether or not we cry discrimination, people are still going to have their preferences. If we whine about it, people will just go underground about it. I’d, personally, rather just have people who aren’t going to hire me- for whatever arbitrary reason- simply state so in their ads so I can look elsewhere.

Me, too. A lot of whining about life being unfair. Sounds like a lot of bedwetters bitchin’ about their diapers not being absorbent enough. :slight_smile:

[quote=“TomHill”][quote=“M0NSTER”]

I find this thread utterly hilarious. After about what? 3 years as a member on F.com, I am now watching as the Brits get railed against. This is priceless with all Y’ALLz bitchin’. OH CANADUH![/quote]

Yes, but it is a bally fool who takes on the Brits. We shall unite, fight cleanly, drink lots, and jolly well win in style. Pip pip for the Brits![/quote]

London: Unite = which “Firm” do you belong to? Fight Cleanly = What size/type of pint you’re having could decide the fatal stab in the neck. Drink lots = pass out on a park bench or on a street corner covered in your own vomit. Jolly = borderline schizophrenia after a ‘footy’ match. Style = hoodies and blue jeans. PIP PIP!

It seems someone’s itching for a good old-fashioned quelling.

Don’t you oppress me! My ancestors fought at Bannockburn to make the world safer for scrawny scrotes like you, I’ll have you know.

Bullshit. It’s EXACTLY what the original ad states. I, for example, can speak good enough Boston, Little Rock, Houston, New York, Liverpool, Manc, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Edmonton, etc. etc. to fool people over the phone, yet these stupid cocksuckers are discriminating against me because of my nationality.[/quote]
Acck…email 'em a pic of you kilted up and tell ‘em you’re wearin’ the sporran daid center.
Not on the hip like a nancy lad.

[quote=“Toasty”]I think asking only for language teachers who speak a desired dialect or accent is a reasonable request. If people want to learn a particular dialect of a language, they should not be forced to learn another simply to suit the needs of the teacher.

North American accents are preferred here. There are whole other chunks of the tefl planet where this is not the case. In any event, whether or not we cry discrimination, people are still going to have their preferences. If we whine about it, people will just go underground about it. I’d, personally, rather just have people who aren’t going to hire me- for whatever arbitrary reason- simply state so in their ads so I can look elsewhere.[/quote]

My point is that there is virtually no chance of them achieving this, no matter what the accent of the teacher.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Toasty”]I think asking only for language teachers who speak a desired dialect or accent is a reasonable request. If people want to learn a particular dialect of a language, they should not be forced to learn another simply to suit the needs of the teacher.

North American accents are preferred here. There are whole other chunks of the tefl planet where this is not the case. In any event, whether or not we cry discrimination, people are still going to have their preferences. If we whine about it, people will just go underground about it. I’d, personally, rather just have people who aren’t going to hire me- for whatever arbitrary reason- simply state so in their ads so I can look elsewhere.[/quote]

My point is that there is virtually no chance of them achieving this, no matter what the accent of the teacher.[/quote]
Quiet you! Who to believe? You or a billion dollar industry?