Want to adopt a dog

and hoping to find a Beagle to adopt or buy in early August 2013…

Why a beagle? (because you had one as a kid, or knew someone who had one…sigh…)

Just adopt any stray you see. Where do you live? There is a little of adorable new puppies in my complex, they will be AWESOME dogs as their mama is a super sweet heart.

[quote=“Confuzius”]Why a beagle? (because you had one as a kid, or knew someone who had one…sigh…)

Just adopt any stray you see. Where do you live? There is a little of adorable new puppies in my complex, they will be AWESOME dogs as their mama is a super sweet heart.[/quote]
Fair enough if the OP prefers this

instead of this,

As long as the OP will care for the Dog,surely they have a right to choose a breed they like ,commendable as it is, to take in any stray animal.??

When I see adorable dogs on the street, that are not adopted, because someone wants a designer breed, yah, I have a problem with that. A big problem.

It depends on where you get your dog from. My parents love miniature pinschers (far from my favorite), but they only adopt them from shelters and pounds. I am morally opposed to dog breeders and puppy mills and don’t really draw a distinction between the two.

Agree with that point,however the People to get angry with are the fools who abandon animals .I can not believe the scale of stray Dogs here. How can people do that?
BUT if I was going to adopt a Dog ,I would like one I have owned before,as I just love the character of them. Nothing to do with “designer”, just love some breeds more than others , I guess. Dogs should be chipped and owners fined if they abandon them IMO.

But, the thing is, there are so many dogs dumped, including lots of purebreds, you can probably get any breed you like if you prefer that over a mixed breed. A few months ago I rescued and rehomed a beautiful Husky that had been dumped, and we now have a lovely beagle that suffered the same fate. We are keeping the beagle. My friend has a gorgeous purebred lab that was dumped and at the pound. The pound near us has purebreds all the time, including many smaller dogs. People dump them here with the idea that the dog truck will pick up the dogs and take them to the pound, so they won’t be fined when they take them to the pound themselves. It’s much better for a person to rescue they dog they really like than one they are not sure of and then regret getting later on, especially when there is so much choice.

As for chipping dogs, one big bad thing about it is the cost outside Taipei City. It’s TWD1,300 in Jilong City! People are not really into it, and the cost is just too high to make people say, oh yeah, I’ll pop down to the vet and get it done today.

All good points (including those not quoted above).

Unless one is getting a dog to perform a sort of task or job…rather than a pet, breed only goes so far into its temperament. Yes, a golden is typically going to be a great cuddle buddy and a husky better get tons of exercise, but if you are looking for another family member, the individual dog’s personality is typically more important and not necessarily dictated by breed.

But you are right, one can pretty much rescue whatever kind of dog they like here the situation is so horrendous.

[quote=“asiababy”]
As for chipping dogs, one big bad thing about it is the cost outside Taipei City. It’s TWD1,300 in Jilong City! People are not really into it, and the cost is just too high to make people say, oh yeah, I’ll pop down to the vet and get it done today.[/quote]

If you think 1300Ntd is too much to get your dog chipped, well then you are in the poverty range of Taiwan… 1300NTD is the cost of a few beers in a bar, a nice meal, a PC game and so many things that are less important than getting your dog a chip…
the main reason people wont put a chip to their dogs is because of ignorance and laziness… and that is a fact.

For us foreigners 1300 is no biggie, but average Joe on the street on a 22K salary may think it twice. Truth be told, if they cannot afford the chip, they can’t afford the dog. They think: oh, 200 nts for a cheap pet food, treat him friend chicken wings OK. Then the dog gets sick… that is why we find so many dogs dumped with skin problems: the issue is easy to take care of, but owners balk at the cost of vet visit -instead of teh 300 nt Malaseb.

Furthermore, there is an issue of availability and trust: the chips may not be available at all vets and people do not trust them chips. Why? Too many storie sof “chips can’t be read”. So people think “why spend so much money on something that won’t be useful?” Many vets do not think chips can be good, as many do not have readers.

Yeah, if NT$1,300 is too much for you, what happens when the dog gets sick? If you can’t afford that, you shouldn’t be raising a dog, period.

I didn’t say people can’t afford to pay $1,300. However, I want to compare it to Taipei, where it’s only $250 to get your dog chipped. Imagine the scenario: You rescue a dog. You take it to the vet. Best case is, it’s healthy and only needs a heartworm check (passes), gets basic shots, you buy food and a lead and a collar. You pay $4,000 this. Then, you ask about getting a chip. Outside Taipei City, it’s $1,300. You don’t know the dog yet; you are not sure if it will bite your neighbor, eat the local chickens, or attack your children. Adding $250 and adding $1,300 to the bill to take on the responsibility does feel a bit different. People here don’t have the idea that chipping is of value yet, only that it brings responsibility you can end up paying for, so the price difference will influence their decision. At $250, people can make an impulse decision. At $1,300, there it is highly likely it will be left till “later”.

Not every family goes out all the time to eat a $1,300 meal or buys video games for their kids. A single-income family on local middle management income will have anything between $50,000 and $65,000 a month coming in. They can probably afford the dog, but my point is, the price of the chip should be lower so it doesn’t become a decision that needs consideration or that is a bit of a temporary burden. It should be cheap enough that people do it, so they later have the responsibility of the dog no matter where it “walks off to”.

To the OP, you could also post on the Animals Taiwan or Taiwan SPCA FB page and let them know what you are looking for.