Want to join Taiwanese army

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]IIRC, Poagao didn’t fully expect to be drafted, although he did his duty when it happened. He got his ROC citizenship by being legally adopted by a local family. The book chapter he translated into English discussed some of this. I think he has a link to the sample English chapter(s) in his thread:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=8348

So, to get into the TW military, first find a family to adopt you. :slight_smile:

(Anyone know if they allow civilians to help out on things? I’m a fair hand at fixing and accurizing the M16.)[/quote]

With all of these Taiwan men marrying foreign brides, maybe they’d also like to adopt an American or French or Australian child. Could be a whole new trend…

From chapter 2 of Counting Mantou

foreignlegionlife.com/

What To Take

Don’t take anything you don’t want to lose. Everything you bring will be stored in a duffel bag when you reach Aubagne. You will never see your belongings again if you’re accepted. You are permitted to keep:

A French-English dictionary.
Shaving gear, toilet articles, a towel.
Cigarettes.
Your watch.
Your wallet and approximately 200 francs.
An address book or personal contact list.

How about the French Foreign Legion’s physical tests (I can barely walk 8K, let alone run it with an 8 KG burden):

"Some of the physical tests you undergo are:

An 8 kilometre run carrying a 12 kg rucksack that must be completed in less than an hour.

Running as far as you can in 12 minutes. Anything over 2800 metres is a good run.

A 16-obstacle course that averages from 3 to 5 minutes to complete.

Climbing a rope without using your feet. You will have to ascend and descend as many times as you can without stopping.

A 100 metre dash carring a sandbag that weighs approximately 40 kilograms. Strive to complete it in less than 20 seconds.

Tests incorporating pushups, situps, and chinups.

Swimming tests.

Oops. Turns out my vague recollection was from the Taipei Times article about the book, not from the book excerpt itself:
taipeitimes.com/News/archive … 0000128117

[quote=“TT article”]“Everyone would tell me `there’s no way you’ll have to do military service. You’re a foreigner!'” said Lin, who goes by the English name T.C. “Well, they were wrong.” Lin, in fact, is Taiwanese – he has the ID card to prove it – and as such, his name was bound to come up in the annual military service lottery, no matter what he looks like.

The letter he had anticipated but hoped would not come arrived in late 1995 ordering him to report to boot camp in Hsinchu in February the next year …[/quote]

[quote=“cake”]You sound like a perfect mecenary. Maybe you could join the taleban. Are you man enough to really fight or just want the uniform? There are mercenary jobs if you look. You sound army barmy. Probably when talking about nutters like george bush, yasser arafat, ariel sharon and osama bin laden you use first name terms.

Something like this:
“I think Osama will move from his cave to a new one.”

“Yasser should declare war on Israel.”

“Ariel and George are great at fooling people into believing peace will ever exist.”

You could try China, you could be useful to those snakes, but you want to shoot them up.

Well I suggest for the time being you stick to the internet cafes and play Counter Strike with the kids.

“Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy”. - Henry Kissinger[/quote]

No concern about world politics at all…
Do not want to fight for oil and not for religion or power!