Want to make sour cream

I want to make sour cream. Can’t find it anywhere in Chaiyi.

I need cultured buttermilk. I also can’t find cream. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you have the right direction. The unsweetened cream may be the stumbling block. The dairy cartons in Wellcome and the like are often sweetened already for whipped cream and definately wont do the trick. Keep looking. You will sometimes find it next to the sweetened variety. After locating the cream, pour it into a clean glass bowl. Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with 1/2 cup of the cream. Mix it well and mix it into the bowl of cream. Cover the glass bowl with saran wrap and leave it covered and in a warm place (if that is presently possible) for about 4 days. Check it every day by jiggling the bowl. It will become a little like soft set jello. After it has properly thickened, take a piece of clean cotton material like an old T-shirt or such, and pour the thickened sour cream through the fabric. Try to make it like a bag and hang it above a pot for awhile so the liquid can drain off. What is left in the fabrick is sour cream. If it is too thick, just add some of the liquid back in to make it the perfect consistency.

To make sour cream you need at least fresh cream and add a culture or as in the good ol’ days just leave it in a cellar to sour, and hey, I have fresh cream, fresh Taiwanese cream, right out the cow … well the dairy company :slight_smile:

buttermilk … forget it … maybe in powder form.

UHT cream can be used when a culture is added … not when you just leave it
… but up here around Taipei they have sour cream and it’s expensive … although if you buy a bigbig pail it’s an ok price …

I used 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/3 cup milk and about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Been sitting for about 12 hours so far. I’ll keep you posted.

I read it should only take about 24 hours

My supplier has buttermilk for delivery to hotels, 3 liter bottles … :s

Hi, I’ve looked for it, but never found any-where can I buy it? Thanks.

Ditto what he said. Where? I’ve looked all over the place.

[quote=“Kea”][quote=“belgian pie”]… but up here around Taipei they have sour cream…[quote]

Hi, I’ve looked for it, but never found any-where can I buy it? Thanks.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

In Shulin, a bakery supply and DIY baking store, on Daan road, right across from Carrefour, almost next to the gas station.

They have it in the fridge, small and large pails … and many other things we like …

Probably in the Dihua street area they have it too …

I used to buy it at Grandma Nitti’s. Dunno if they still sell it there or not.

I’ve bought sour cream at Wellman’s in Tien Mu, at Costco (huge tub, cost 449NT), and I saw it at that shop on Min Le, off Min Sheng Road, called UAL or something like that. The smaller containers there were 120NT, and at Wellman’s I think they were closer to 200NT, so I figured the big tub at Costco was a bargain.

Thanks for the hints on making sour cream, might actually try to do that and see how it turns out.

My attempt didn’t work. I set it out (on top of my router cause it’s warm) for 48 hours.

I tasted it and it wasn’t sour.

???

Ditto what he said. Where? I’ve looked all over the place.[/quote]
Tesco Taoyuan has it Jaboney, but not in the dairy section. Go to the deli section over by the vegetables. Its in small tubs by the gournet cheeses and salamis etc. About a $100nt for a small (tiny) tub of it.

In Taipei, Jason’s (Taipei 101 shopping center basement) has it sometimes (though this is often only the reduced fat slime), and a little baking store on Shi-da always stocks the real thing.

Name, address?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]My attempt didn’t work. I set it out (on top of my router cause it’s warm) for 48 hours.

???[/quote]
Unless you can culture with buttermilk it’s going to take longer. Mine took 4 days in the summer outside on my balcony. I know . . sounds gross . . but it worked. Actuall, it is sold so many places now, that it just isn’t worth the bother. Another place that hasn’t been recently mentioned is in Banciao. Jhongshan Rd (cross QuangFu Bridge from Taipei) Watch for Carrefour sign. It just around the corner as you drive about 2 k. from the bridge on JhongShan. Between Carrefour and the 7-11 is a cooks supply store. They had sour cream in about a 2 litre tub at about 500NT.

Florida Bakery has it; same as other places - tiny bin for $80-90…

[quote=“Enigma”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]My attempt didn’t work. I set it out (on top of my router cause it’s warm) for 48 hours.

???[/quote]
Unless you can culture with buttermilk it’s going to take longer. Mine took 4 days in the summer outside on my balcony. I know . . sounds gross . . but it worked. Actuall, it is sold so many places now, that it just isn’t worth the bother. Another place that hasn’t been recently mentioned is in Banqiao. Jhongshan (Zhongshan) Rd (cross QuangFu Bridge from Taipei) Watch for Carrefour sign. It just around the corner as you drive about 2 k. from the bridge on Jhongshan (Zhongshan). Between Carrefour and the 7-11 is a cooks supply store. They had sour cream in about a 2 litre tub at about 500NT.[/quote]

I checked this place yesterday and like so many times before, it’s no longer there. Sorry for the misdirection.

I bought a tub at Costco. It’s 3 lbs. NT450. It will keep for 3 months in the fridge.

Yummy