War by cyber means: Sony surrenders

[quote=“Taiwanguy”][quote]“As the United States is spreading groundless allegations and slandering us, we propose a joint investigation with it into this incident,” said a spokesman for the North’s foreign ministry.

Without resorting to such tortures as were used by the U.S. CIA, we have means to prove that this incident has nothing to do with us,” the spokesman was quoted as saying by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).[/quote]

lol…that’s actually a pretty good one. Touche, North Korea…Touche…[/quote]

Indeed. :laughing:

Not to be confused with Taiwan’s Central News Agency. At least most of the time.

Interesting post on reddit: np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/commen … ew/cn0ksh7

Looks like Sony suffered from serious chabuduoism that put all the wrong people in the important jobs. Whoops.

I don’t know why Sony ever thought this was a good idea. It’s just damage control now: unsurprising.

If such a movie were made by a major studio about Obama I’m sure the US government would have something to say about it. They wouldn’t bomb a movie theater but they might very well have other non-lethal ways of making their displeasure known.

How many movies has North Korea made about destroying America?

Quite a few.

Hypocrites.

From my experience of cyber-history, I would suspect it’s probably the work of some smart-arse kid, and as usual, the corporations and governments involved would prefer to invent a conspiracy theory of global proportions to hide their own incompetency and save losing face. :laughing: :laughing:

If they do find the smart arsed little genius, they’ll probably hire him as security manager, after threatening him with life in prison if he doesn’t accept the pitiful salary.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]I don’t know why Sony ever thought this was a good idea. It’s just damage control now: unsurprising.

If such a movie were made by a major studio about Obama I’m sure the US government would have something to say about it. They wouldn’t bomb a movie theater but they might very well have other non-lethal ways of making their displeasure known.[/quote]

For better or worse and I never heard of it until recently, the Brits made a movie about the assassination of Bush when he was in office. Death of a President (2006 film)

The worst it seems is some called the movie in bad taste. Anyway, fun clip here with Obama joking about North Korea, for anyone that hasnt already seen funnyordie.com/videos/18e820 … rack-obama

If it actually was North Korea behind the cyber attack (which seems like a real stretch) I can understand why they’d be insulted and angry about this. It’s just very poor taste by the makers of the movie and Sony for approving it. If the same thing was made about Obama, Americans would be angry as well. FOX news would lose their shit ! And now Sony is in an impossible spot. If they release the movie and even one person is injured, the lawsuits would start flying. From their perspective, they can’t show it. And is anybody sad about that? Oh no, I’ll miss another shitty Seth Rogan movie :unamused:

Why is that?

It’s kind of like how North Korea constitutes a nuclear threat to the west coast of the United States, but in a cyber way.

Real countries that pose an actual potential threat to the USA have the proven capabilities to land a missile on either coast and anywhere in-between.

North Korea, on the other hand, has barely been able to lob one over Japan with any success.

Anyway, it’s just a hack on a corporation, not a country. Sony is Japanese, not American.

Why so much fuss?

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]
Anyway, it’s just a hack on a corporation, not a country. Sony is Japanese, not American.

Why so much fuss?[/quote]

Because it’s a proof by demonstration of certain potentialities.

thewrap.com/sony-set-to-anno … exclusive/

Hope for humanity after all?

Anybody remember the British art film [i]Death of a President /i? (W. gets assasinated)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a … (2006_film

Wasn’t ‘W’ a pisstake of dubya anyway?

Sony is releasing the movie in select theaters after all. Publicity stunt?
http://time.com/3645866/sony-limited-release-the-interview/

Why is that?[/quote]

wired.com/2014/12/sony-north … synd_slate

Something worth noting from the article:

“I have seen too many situations where government officials claimed a high degree of confidence as to the source, intent, and scope of an attack, and it turned out they were wrong on every aspect of it. That is, they were often wrong, but never in doubt.”

Another attack.

youtube.com/watch?v=za84_h9h1jE

The movie is terrible. Wasted my time.

Yeah i was a bit concerned it only got something like 2 and a half stars on rotten tomatos. Saw it just now with minimal expectations. It was actually mildly entertaining. It had some funny bits. Some parts I would’ve done differently though.

As one commentator did, all this controversy simply makes a successful movie out of one that wasn’t for sure going to be successful.

A lot of people will see it that previously may not have.