War Profiteers

[quote=“Richardm”]At the risk of getting back on topic, here is the senario I have.
Someone very bad does something very bad with a bunch of planes and the World Trade Centers. Then the Whitehouse goes nuts and starts saying, “Iraq?” “Did Iraq do this? Tell me Iraq did this! We need to attack Iraq.” Why would intelligent, sane, responsible individuals act in such a manner? What was their motivation? Apparently it had nothing to do with National Security.[/quote]

Interesting… :ponder:

I’ve seen you ask something to this effect a couple times, Richardm. But up to now, I’ve never thought too much about it. I always just figured it was just a cute thing to say – a clever quip – since, of course, Iraq did not “do” 9-11, and I have never seen a single person who has ever discussed the issue in these forums who thought that Iraq did.

I should probably add here that it is not necessary to post opinion polls showing that many Americans surveyed in poll XYZ did/do think that Iraq was responsible for 9-11. I’ve seen those polls. I’ve also seen the polls that show that a solid 1/4 of Americans cannot find the US on a world map. I’ve seen polls that show that majorities think that the three branches of government in the US are “Democrat, Republican, and Independent”. Even the “Sun revolves around the Earth” proposition gets a pretty good amount of support when the question is put out there in polls.

So I assume your question was why anyone who was actually intelligent —no, scratch that: let’s say someone who was engaged and paying attention— would think that Iraq caused 9-11. The answer is that nobody who was engaged and paying attention ever did think that (at least not that I ever saw). And that includes people who supported the war in Iraq.

[b]“Well then,” you may ask “why go to war in Iraq then?”

Answer: Because revenge for a past bad act is not the only (or even the best) principal on which to base a foreign policy.[/b]

Sure, immediately after 9-11 there were plenty people who just wanted to “get even with those bastards that did it.” Of course most of the people who actually did it died on the planes. Yes, you can go after Al Qaeda and the Taliban and OBL. We can argue about the extent to which that has been done. But the more important question was then, and is now: “What do we do to keep ourselves safe in the future?”

Whether invading Iraq was a good idea to keep us safe in the future is the subject of numerous threads, and it would be pointless to discuss it an umpteenth time here.

But… whether you agree with it or not making us safer in the future was motivation (or at least it was the idea for everyone I’ve ever talked to who supported the war). Nobody was talking about revenge for some past act.

Let me ask you think: If your kid gets hit with a rock at school, what do you do? Yes – you might want to get revenge on whoever did it. You might also, logically, consider the person who threw that rock to be a major threat to your kid’s safety. But if you complain about the bully who threw the rock, and that bully go into hiding, and then you see some other bully who you think might be about to throw another rock… then what?

Again, I’m not arguing about how likely it was that Iraq wwas going to be “the next kid to throw a rock.” That’s another discussion with many dedicated threads (indeed entire websites).

My point is that most of those (that I’ve either read or talked to, anyway) who supported the invasion of Iraq either (a) thought that Iraq was the next likely rock thrower, (b) thought that Iraq was the next likely rock thrower we could actually do anything to stop (invading Iran or the DPRK were then, and are now, not realistic), or (c) thought that changing Iraq’s government would be a good way to positively influence a number of potential rock-throwers in the region.

I realize that you disagree with all of those notions. That’s fine. All I’m saying is that nobody I’ve ever seen or read (once again – this doesn’t include the “Sun revolves around the Earth” poll respondents) said that the reason to invade Iraq was because Iraq was responsible for 9-11. People argued (rightly or wrongly) for going in as a way of preventing future harm, not for revenge.

For most people keeping us safe in the future was more important than “getting even” for what happened in the past. And when you say “Yes, but the action your doing has nothing to do with getting revenge”, many people will probably (as I did) assume you are just making a joke – because getting revenge is so obviously a secondary priority compared to protecting future safety. (And of course, arguing that future safety is not, in fact, enhanced by the war in Iraq hardly adds any support to the proposition that “revenge is the only good reason to go to war.”)

[quote=“Richardm”]At the risk of getting back on topic, here is the senario I have.
Someone very bad does something very bad with a bunch of planes and the World Trade Centers. Then the Whitehouse goes nuts and starts saying, “Iraq?” “Did Iraq do this? Tell me Iraq did this! We need to attack Iraq.” Why would intelligent, sane, responsible individuals act in such a manner? What was their motivation? Apparently it had nothing to do with National Security.[/quote]

Follow the money . . .

" . . . John Bolton reaffirmed that the United States will use "all tools at our disposal’’ to thwart Iran’s nuclear program and is already ‘‘beefing up defensive measures’’ to do so.

``The Iran regime must be made aware that if it continues down the path of international isolation, there will be tangible and painful consequences,’’ he told 4,500 delegates to the annual convention of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the leading pro-Israel U.S. lobbying group. . . .

Bolton said Iran poses a "comprehensive threat’’ as a state-sponsor of terrorism and a nuclear aspirant, and so "we must be prepared to … use all the tools at our disposal to stop the threat.’’

"The longer we wait to confront the threat Iran poses, the harder and more intractable it will become to solve,’’ he warned.

Bolton reaffirmed that Washington does not see the security council moving quickly to impose sanctions on Iran. Veto-wielding members Russia and China have made clear their reluctance.

But he said many other governments have begun to speak publicly of sanctions, implying they may take action outside the security council."

Did they think that at the time or have the just followed the bouncing rational. It was WMD, it was… on and on. It was anything you could get people to believe.

Did they think that at the time or have the just followed the bouncing rational. It was WMD, it was… on and on. It was anything you could get people to believe.[/quote]

I don’t know, Richard. My honest impression is that there were a few in each of the (a), (b) and (c) camps before the war, and that now most people who still support it are “(c) people”. There are, of course, still some (a) and (b) people saying “Well Saddam didn’t allow inspectors (until we put troops on the border – and once we pulled the troops back he’d kick the inspectors out again) – and that it was not worth taking the chance.” I know that Tigerman and others may disagree with me here, but I certainly believe that the Bush administration was pushing (a) before the war, and are pushing (c) now. Doesn’t mean they don’t still believe (a) was a threat enough grave to justify making sure. Doesn’t mean that they didn’t believe (c) all along either. Personally, I think they believed (c) all along, and just never thought the American people would be convinced by (c) – so they beat the drum for the (a) instead.

If you are saying that lots of people changed their arguments as the conditions changed I am happy to agree with you. That’s what people do who support a party rather than thinking about the issues for themselves. (I am always amazed at the extent to which partisans on both sides are able to consistently maintain what whatever the “other side” does is wrong – it’s actually pretty extraordinary.) So I’m fully with you there.

The part where I disagree with you is this the suggestion that if revenge isn’t the motive, then the only other motive would be profit. I know you don’t think that invading Iraq made the US safer. But some people did think that. Some people do think that. And for those people it had nothing to do with profits, and it had nothing to do with revenge for 9-11. For some people a desire to make the country safer (forget that you don’t think the invasion did that… they think it did/thought it would) is just as reasonable a ground for military action as revenge is.

Say it with some feeling.[/quote]

Agreed. I’m not convinced.[/quote]

Me neither. The fact that so many Democrats are so quiet about Feinstein says a lot to me. It says what I’ve been saying for years now, that most Democratic leaders have a totally different set of priorities than their grassroots supporters, and those supporters are too spineless to do anything (like voting Green, or Libertarian, or Independent, or rioting) about it.

If you want to know how the Defense industry feels about which party will best help them pursue heir agenda, you’ll find that the Dems have gotten 39 percent of that industy’s donations in the '06 election cycle. Not a resounding endorsement for peacenik dems.

numbers

85% of U.S. troops currently in Iraq according to a just released poll (apparently the first ever done of troops in country) "said the U.S. mission is mainly

WWI: Woodrow Wilson, Democrat
WWII: FDR, Democrat
Korea: Truman, Democrat
Vietnam: JFK + LBJ, Democrats

“We are not about to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.” - LBJ, October 21, 1964

Hmmmmmm… :ponder:

:roflmao:

WWI: Woodrow Wilson, Democrat
WWII: FDR, Democrat
Korea: Truman, Democrat
Vietnam: JFK + LBJ, Democrats

“We are not about to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.” - LBJ, October 21, 1964

Hmmmmmm… :ponder:

:roflmao:[/quote]

I agree. Right now though, it’s Bush, and whatever he is, he is no Democrat.

85% of U.S. troops currently in Iraq according to a just released poll (apparently the first ever done of troops in country) "said the U.S. mission is mainly

This is sounding eriely(sp?) familiar…

Work needs to be done. A company has previously demonstrated the ability to get the needed work done. No other company has such a record of doing the needed work, in the stipulated time frame and dealing with the logistics presented by the scenario.
Who gets the contract? Who is the best deal? Id bottom line the sole deciding factor?

I may not like DHL for delivering my document packages. I may not like their pricing. I may not like their requireents for establiching a rgular pick-up. I may not like the fact that they will not deliver at final destinationbefore 0800 and after 1700. But, DHL gets the job done every time and thats who I have to chose based on their previous performance.

You chose who can get the job done. Deal with the problems as they occu - because no matter who you chose, there will be problems.

Without going into partisan politics, thats how I see it.
I am much more outraged by the individuals involved in this US Port deal - this is a real scandal in the making. Where is the press on this one?

Profiting from war is not in itself evil.
Profiting from war because you have connections in government is bad, but it happens, has happened, will happen again.
Manufacturing a war because you want to make a profit is very very bad.

I might write a book. I smell a Pee-You-litzer.

[quote=“Richardm”]Profiting from war is not in itself evil.
Profiting from war because you have connections in government is bad, but it happens, has happened, will happen again.

I might write a book. I smell a Pee-You-litzer.[/quote]

Do you own any stock? Have a retirement fund? What companies are those stocks invested in?

[quote=“spook”]I’m not sure how to respond, Hobbes. I thought that documenting that the vast majority of American citizens actually on the front lines fighting and dying for U.S. policy in Iraq fell into the “nobody I’ve ever seen or read [color=red]
. . .
[/color]
said that the reason to invade Iraq was because Iraq was responsible for 9-11.” category pretty much spoke for itself.[/quote]

Hehe…

[quote=“spook”]"[color=red]
. . .
[/color]
"[/quote]

Exactly. With the insertion of that ellipsis you have shown me that you do, in fact, see why your poll was responding to a different conversation. :slight_smile:

As I’m sure you observed in omitting the language I wrote where you put those three dots, I never claimed that there weren’t large numbers of Americans who felt that the war was about revenge. In fact I specifically stated in my initial post that I was aware of such polls, and that I was not talking about the respondents to them.

Richardm asked about the motivation of the “Whitehouse”, and has suggested that the motivation for the war was largely personal profit for those making the decisions. I don’t know how wide he intended to cast his net, but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t suggesting that this was a “bottom up” cry for war coming from hundreds of thousands of troops now in Iraq who are all major Halliburton stockholders. Do you really think he was suggesting that?

No. It’s quite clear that he was talking about the motivation of the people in power in Washington, and not troops on the ground. Therefore, while the motivation of the troops themselves is a perfectly valid and interesting topic in its own right, respectfully, it is simply not relevant to my response to Richardm on this point.

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Richardm”]Profiting from war is not in itself evil.

Do you own any stock? Have a retirement fund? What companies are those stocks invested in?[/quote]
I haven’t started a war in order to raise the value of my vast stock portfolio.

[quote=“Richardm”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Richardm”]Profiting from war is not in itself evil.

Do you own any stock? Have a retirement fund? What companies are those stocks invested in?[/quote]
I haven’t started a war in order to raise the value of my vast stock portfolio.[/quote]

Yes, but has the war raised the value of your stock porfolio?

Anyone who owns stocks has a voice that speaks for them in government, via the company’s lobbyists.

The thing with Halliburton is that they were connected and in the right place at the right time. I do not think they were saying to the POTUS, “Hey let’s start this badboy! We’ll make a ‘killing!’” wink wink nudge nudge

I forgot what a POTUS is.

I think that’s the idea.

[Presidents of the United States] I looked it up.

[quote=“Richardm”]I forgot what a POTUS is.

I think that’s the idea.

[Presidents of the United States] I looked it up.[/quote]

There’s a difference, in my book, between wanting to benefit from something that is going to happen anyway, and encouraging something terrible to happen so that money can be made.

I thought that was what I said.

I thought that was what I said.[/quote]

Was it? I never read what you write. :blush: