三重商工進修學校評論 Warning: Don't work for Sanchong Vocational High School

If you are a foreign teacher DO NOT WORK FOR this school. You will have payment problems and you will have to work for a director that is always stressed and has no temperament to lead.

The director is not the only problem. Get ready to beg for your paycheck like you are a dog. The contract is written in English and Chinese, but constantly the accountant didn’t pay me. You have to beg the director who doesn’t care about your contract or someone who can’t speak English (the accountant).

The accountant was supposed to pay me a monthly housing stipend of 5,000NT per month, but did not do that for the first 6 months. I had to ask the director every month about this stipend and it wasn’t fixed until I contacted the recruiter at Teach Taiwan. Then after the 6 months the accountant said she would only pay the housing stipend once every two months, but that violated my contract too. So I had to go back to the recruiter to get paid.

I get 14 paid sick days, but I only used 2 during the entire contract. Each time I took a sick day I gave the school notice before 8am and the following day gave them a doctor’s note. The first time the director informed me that they would deduct my pay which violated my contract. The recruiter had to fix this.

The second time (and only other time) I called in sick it was 6am in the morning. I had no morning classes that day, only two afternoon classes so you would think it wouldn’t be a big deal. The next day the director slammed the doctor’s note on my desk and said (I’m paraphrasing), “If you want this approved you need to go to the admin office. I don’t have to deal with your shit. You need to call them when you are sick, don’t contact me for anything about your contract.”

However I tried calling the admin office before in the morning and they hung up on me because nobody speaks English there. This is why I messaged the English-speaking director who is supposed to handle the foreign teacher issues because she speaks English. And she flipped out on me like a crazy person. The director was stressed that day because she had some official business that had nothing to do with me. And she lashed out at me because of it. She does not have the temperament to be a boss or leader in the office.

As of this writing I still have not been reimbursed for my flight even though I gave them the receipt and boarding pass on July 26th. It is now August 15th.

First the accountant said she needed a flight receipt without the taxes (it was given), then she said she needed one without the taxes on it (this was given on July 25th but I gave it again), then she said she wasn’t going to reimburse the ticket at all, then the recruiter had to contact them.

During my time at this school there was no English-speaking person at this school to assist me. Taiwanese teachers, students, and I all have issues with this director due to her emotional problems. She is entirely unapproachable and if you ask her a question politely, she will give you a scowl on her face.

My students personally were intimidated by her and did not want to approach her. Other veteran Taiwanese teachers who have been working at the school approached me and said she “has issues” and that I should just “try to avoid her.” Teachers told me that the director is a “bitch” in their own words. Even the recruiter didn’t want to talk to her because she is very rude and unfriendly. I have evidence that none of what I’m saying is made up, but to save face from those people I won’t share that.

I’m filing an official complaint with the Ministry of Education. She did cause me to have anxiety around her. There were two occasions where I had panic attacks at home because of her.

Prior to this job I held an English teaching job for 7 years in Taiwan without any issues. I was always paid on time and the director at my previous school was friendly and warm.

My payday from August-October was irregular and did not follow my contract. Now I’m going to sue her and the school for negligence, undue stress and any remaining funds they owe me. If you are a foreign teacher and have issues with this school contact the Ministry of Education and http://www.laf.org.tw/en/ for low-cost English legal service.

1 Like

Welcome to Taiwan.

4 Likes