Warning on customs duty 35%!

You are indeed wrong :blush: there is 0% duty on laptops regardless of where you order it from.

Unless your family live in a sales tax free State, you’re better off getting the company to ship to you directly.

Which delivery service did you use and how much did it cost you?

For my package the rates are insane except for USPS:
FedEx = $350 USD
DHL = $400 USD
UPS = $450 USD
USPS = $78 USD

All offer 3 day delivery
All insure up to various amounts
USPS will insure up to $5,000USD if you pay for it.
In mycase an extra $15 will insure the laptop.
Not bad

Would this be for laptop?

It should not put you back more than 100usd to have it sent here with DHL. I guess your rates are the consumer rates without discount.

If you can wait a couple of days use a forwarder that have a deal with DHL/FEDEX., e.g https://www.myus.com

Ive read horror stories about those businesses. Namely myus.com and shipito.com

Have you used them? Were either reliable?

myus.com is fine, I used them to send over a bike(5000usd), a 55 inch sony tv, some stuff from google store and amazon books. Never had a problem with them.

Note though, all of the above was sent to hk, not to taiwan, but I would assume it works the same to taiwan.

1 Like

I used comGateway and they were always very professional.

I’ve had an account with myus.com for about two years and have used them a few times. Reliable and without any problems, in my experience. They’ve been especially useful for online vendors in the U.S. who won’t ship to Taiwan, but happen to have free shipping within the U.S.

This is very good news.

I am already having an item shipped to family in the US from a retailer. The plan was to have family ship it to me. But, if the shipping is a lot less via myus.com, could I have family ship it to a myus.com address and then have myus.com ship it to me in Taiwan? Or does myus.com only accept incoming shipments from retailers?

No need to be from retailer, it can be from anyone.

The myus address is in Florida FYI.

More than likely they will open your package. If it shows signs of being used, you may get a pass. We can ship personal property (at least that was the case a few years ago). I manage to convince the guy in the post office by showing wear and tear damage and missing socket covers.

That was months ago. I received it just fine with no charges.

Guys what’s the best courier with the lowest brokerage fees? DHL? Fedex? or UPS?

Is the first 2000 NT of an order always tax free? If that’s the case it might make sense to break up an order into multiple shipments as the difference in non-consolidated shipping would be less than the customs

Breaking up the order makes sense to me. My understanding is that you’re limited to six tax-free shipments per year. I have no idea how/if they really check, though.

I’ve asked a few times on here if anyone’s ever actually been hit with this six-shipment limit, and I believe no one’s ever replied in the affirmative. Of course that could just be no one’s getting more than six shipments; I’ve never exceeded that number.

1 Like

I’d agree that there’s a lack of consistency with taxation here. I had a friend recently receive some clothing from a US retailer. Value was around 10k NTD; he says he was only taxed at 5%.

Can anyone confirm this:
If I order snacks for more than NT$ 2,000, will I still get taxed like if I ordered from iHerb or similar? Or are there different limits/rates for different types of goods?

Hello i know its been a long time. But how did your family sent package to you ? Which courier you did you use in the end ? You didn’t even pay vat ?

Thank you

It was USPS.

How much was the shipping fee ? over $100 ? how did you pack tho? did you put the laptop original box in another box ?

Thanks