Warning to those with outside dogs

im sure its not new, but it is happening a LOT around here right now. As betel nut season is still going, the people that are stealing betel nut are throwing rat poison food into the farms to kill the dogs.

I have a feeling there are not many, if any, betel nut farmers on board here, but dogs could run into the farms and eat it up. Just a heads up as we are seeing dead dogs now and also a lot of people talking about it.

Pretty sick Fing people to stoop that low for a few grand in betel nuts!

[quote=“Pingdong”]im sure its not new, but it is happening a LOT around here right now. As betel nut season is still going, the people that are stealing betel nut are throwing rat poison food into the farms to kill the dogs.

I have a feeling there are not many, if any, betel nut farmers on board here, but dogs could run into the farms and eat it up. Just a heads up as we are seeing dead dogs now and also a lot of people talking about it.

Pretty sick Fing people to stoop that low for a few grand in betel nuts![/quote]

For them there is not much stooping in it. You know that animals are worthless objects. So the equation looks a lot different for them.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so incredibly stoopid that they can’t figure out they’d earn more working at McDonalds than they would from their petty thieving, scamming, drug-dealing, etc., with a lot less effort. Presumably, they just do it for the shits and giggles.

generally i agree. But strangely agriculture theft is actually pretty big. My favourite mango lady had their entire betel nut farm stripped, thats probably not far off half a mil in 1 night…its not so petty. Even fruit farms get robbed, especially jujube and wax apple around here. but banana, mango, lychee etc all get robbed.

Its really sad, i know [non-human] animals are considered to be more related to a rock than to humans to many Taiwanese, but man sometimes it makes me sick how far people go.

we have 2 pooches and are pretty worried now that someone will throw some poison to the side or our dogs might get a stray piece while walking etc.

its wrong on so many levels.

That certainly is weird. In most countries people respect farmers’ land and property - I suppose because on some unconscious level they know everyone is f-cked if farmers think they’re getting a raw deal. Even in the Philippines, which is a complete shithole as far as theft and scamming is concerned, agricultural theft doesn’t appear to be a big issue.

You’re right about the dogs-are-just-things attitude, of course, but what is I don’t get is - think about it - how much is a banana worth? Retail is only NT$30/kilo. Legit bulk sale, $8-12K/tonne. Off the back of a lorry, provenance unknown, what - NT$5K/tonne, maybe? For a lot of bloody hard work, not to mention the time and trouble of killing people’s dogs so you can nick their stuff. I mean seriously, what’s the point? You’d have to be a complete drooling retard to consider that a good way of earning a living. I guess if you’re really scaling up it works out - to strip a mango farm in a night (20-30 tonnes?) it might only cost you only $50K in trucks and illegal-immigrant hire. But in that case, how are such massive operations not tracked down and stopped? Oh, yeah, Taiwanese police and mafia guanxi … I forgot.

I guess this is why English farmers are still allowed to keep shotguns.

Think I’ll be setting up some boobytraps on my land next summer.

I should be more clear, the dog thing as far as i know is specifically for betel nut farms. I may be incorrect, but i have yet to hear or see anything in other types of farms in regards to killing guard dogs.

I hear you that it may not seem worth it. many agri crops are under 60nt/kg so it doesnt seem so worth it. but i feel the people doing these types are not the type to take up a retail/office job… i remember last season there was a very large wax apple farm that was ripped off mid day while the owners were there harvesting. hte guys were at teh other end of the farm right on the road pretending to be employees, they got away with a pretty good haul, didnt hear if they were caught or not…

but betel nut is special…even now its easy to get 100-200/jin (600g) of nuts…there is a reason there is so much of it growing and replacing food fields and forests. you think 1 fen can 200-300 trees and each tree probably has 2-4 jin. 400jin per fen at $100 is still $40 k, and with that farm i mentioned above that the mango lady owns it is 13 fen…not a small chunk of change, especially for here adn with the amount of time needed to make it. the police sure do try and catch them though. as prevalent as the gangs are, and they may very well be into this as well, i feel its also done by a lot of individuals with their friends/family to try and make money. in betel nut season cops are roaming the farm roads all night all the time, as theft is a huge deal. i am constantly stopped going to/from my farm (as i farm at night) and looked at. though they know me and wave me by once they recognize me. my nephew (a 17 year old punk) will get stopped, probed/id’d etc…they dont care hes 17 and cant ride a scooter and has no helmet, they jstu want to find the thieves it seems.

I honestly have never heard of this kind of theft before i came to Taiwan either. farm machinery back in Canada gets jacked all the time, but never heard of the crops being a target. But i think farmers here are easy targets to be honest. most are not young, and most are not well educated/well connected…so it can be easy pickings i am guessing. and making 1-30k USD in a night isnt something to laugh at.

Somewhat unrelated but this made me think…

Is there often poison or pesticides sprayed all over public parks? I would guess not since I see people laying in the grass and I can imagine what that would do to their skin.

But just wondering since we live next to a huge park in Taichung…one of the main reasons we decided on this apt was so our doggy would have a place to have fun

i have never seen it personally around the parks here. they do fertilize, but i have not seen the same kind oi spraying for bugs as you see in farms. but i do see people get hired to spray herbicides along ditches/roadways.

One of my dogs was poisoned…I didn’t notice until about 3 or 4 hours after the fact. But the vet just puts them on an I.V. and they are fine. My neighbor has had his dogs poisoned half a dozen times…and they are still fine as well.

So just pointing out that if you catch it within a few hours they should be fine.

thats disturbing…any idea what kind of poison? was it intentional or they ate something outside by accident?

For my dog? I live next to a park and a few dogs were poisoned that week. So it was intentional. It’s fairly common here. I know of at least 3 or 4 locals who have told me their dogs have been poisoned by neighbors. And all in different areas.

Any idea what they used? Im guessing different psychos would use different things, but maybe there is a universal psycho-dog-hating-poison out there?

I’m just thinking if it is known what they use, or what they sometimes use, it might speed along future emergencies for thing sto check for.

[quote=“Pingdong”]Any idea what they used? Im guessing different psychos would use different things, but maybe there is a universal psycho-dog-hating-poison out there?

I’m just thinking if it is known what they use, or what they sometimes use, it might speed along future emergencies for thing sto check for.[/quote]

Rat poison would be my guess, but just a guess.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Pingdong”]Any idea what they used? Im guessing different psychos would use different things, but maybe there is a universal psycho-dog-hating-poison out there?

I’m just thinking if it is known what they use, or what they sometimes use, it might speed along future emergencies for thing sto check for.[/quote]

Rat poison would be my guess, but just a guess.[/quote]

… which is usually warfarin, which can cause hemorrhage; reversible with Vitamin K or fresh frozen plasma transfusion (do they have doggie blood banks in Taiwan?? 哈哈). Definitely treatable, at any rate.

It’s a problem in the States.

[quote=“New York Times”]While thievery has long been a fact of life in the country, such crimes are on the rise and fighting them has become harder in many parts of California as many grants for rural law enforcement have withered on the vine.

While other states have their own agricultural intrigue — cattle rustlers in Texas, tomato takers in Florida — few areas can claim a wider variety of farm felons than California, where ambushes on everything from almonds to beehives have been reported in recent years. Then there is the hardware: diesel fuel, tools and truck batteries regularly disappear in the Central Valley, the state’s agricultural powerhouse, where high unemployment, foreclosures and methamphetamine abuse have made criminals more desperate, officials say.

“All of our ag crimes are up,” said Sergeant Reed, who oversees a unit of two full-time detectives — down from three a year ago — all patrolling a county about eight times the size of Rhode Island. A wet winter and warm summer, after all, have meant healthy crops, he said, and a healthy market means happy thieves.

“Everything this year is doing well,” Sergeant Reed said. “And if it’s doing well here, there’s somebody looking to steal it.”[/quote]

more here: Farm Thieves Target Grapes, and Even Bees