Was i served ?- papers turn up at my inlaws overseas

So things with my child have taken an interesting twist

Original post - forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … h#p1419530

Mum has now decided to go to court in Taiwan it seems to get custody (even though she has my child anyway against US court orders)- the only reason i know this is because some papers turned up at my inlaws (new wife) who live overseas and not in the USA and the paperwork was not in English. This might be, i hope, but i am not sure from advice from the last thread some hope for me to finally see my child again and be able to bring the child home to dad. The problem I have now is because of the mess last time in the US court system where i finally won i went Bankrupt and need to get my life and funds back together. So to gain some time in getting funds to pay for a Taiwan lawyer ( i had spoken to one as result of the last thread but I found but the costs are pretty high) can i ignore this paper work until they decide to actually send it to the right address? Basically “Was I served”?

I was reading an English version of the Taiwan civil code (db.lawbank.com.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDAT0201.asp) and i dont see anywhere where it says you can serve a person overseas at some address they never lived at. Its seems to me to be like sending papers to a hotel you stayed at a couple of times but you havent been there in long long time. Article 136 and 137 seem to cover where i can be served. Is that correct? And was i served?

PS i am still working out how the heck did they find my inlaws. That didnt go down to well.

You are not going to be able to understand whether you have been properly served and what your rights are at this point without advice from a Taiwanese lawyer. I doubt that ignoring the papers is a good idea.

[quote=“pugwash”]So things with my child have taken an interesting twist

Original post - forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … h#p1419530

Mum has now decided to go to court in Taiwan it seems to get custody (even though she has my child anyway against US court orders)- the only reason I know this is because some papers turned up at my inlaws (new wife) who live overseas and not in the USA and the paperwork was not in English. This might be, I hope, but I am not sure from advice from the last thread some hope for me to finally see my child again and be able to bring the child home to dad. The problem I have now is because of the mess last time in the US court system where I finally won I went Bankrupt and need to get my life and funds back together. So to gain some time in getting funds to pay for a Taiwan lawyer ( I had spoken to one as result of the last thread but I found but the costs are pretty high) can i ignore this paper work until they decide to actually send it to the right address? Basically “Was I served”?

I was reading an English version of the Taiwan civil code (db.lawbank.com.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDAT0201.asp) and I don’t see anywhere where it says you can serve a person overseas at some address they never lived at. Its seems to me to be like sending papers to a hotel you stayed at a couple of times but you havent been there in long long time. Article 136 and 137 seem to cover where i can be served. Is that correct? And was i served?

PS I am still working out how the heck did they find my inlaws. That didnt go down to well.[/quote]

It always makes me laugh to read this kind of advice. The mother is going to get her own way whether the OP ignores the service papers or not, and whether he bankrupts himself for a second time fighting another court custody battle in Taiwan or not.

That does seem to be the outcome in most of these cases. See the Nadia Juan case for a particularly ugly example where the American father had plenty of money to get lawyered up. bit.ly/18p9w6R But not in all cases: see Ergui Wu. nyti.ms/14gvjuM. The OP’s case seems more like the Nadia Juan one.

But he was not asking about the outcome–merely about whether he should ignore the papers served on him. He may be in a better position because he is married and we don’t know if his wife has any assets. In any event, an internet forum is not the place to be giving legal advice although I think the OP should take a good look at your story from what I remember.