Was Luc Besson's LUCY movie racist towards Asians and Taiwanese in particular?

And they cast the Korean actor because he heads a KOREAN gang.

Yeah maybe they should have done a quick GUNDAM STYLE to let people know?

Oh and did i say movies are not really REAL ?

thevine.com.au/entertainment/mov … 18-284902/

“Lucy, I can speak Engolish.”

Hilarious

I don’t know if it’s just me or what, but the young guy who said “no no no” maybe deserved it.

[quote=“Chris”]I saw the movie a few weeks ago. It’s not racist.

Yes, there’s a scene of Lucy killing the taxi driver for not speaking English. It’s what’s known in the film industry as a “gag”: i.e., a joke. And the clincher… IT’S ONLY A MOVIE. IT’S NOT REAL.[/quote]

Meh, it just looks like the usual Besson bore-off with some improbable, abused young girl goes and kills a bunch of men. Depressing.

Also, ‘white’ people play people of different ethnicities all the time. I’m thinking Russell Crowe in ‘Gladiator’, Hugh Laurie in ‘House’, Sean Connery in the James Bond films. I think people know …

As a Hollywood movie, I expect stereotypes aplenty. When I see it I’ll give my opinion, but Icon is quite tight about this matter, from cringe worthy Memoirs of a Geisha to what were they thinking 57 1/2 Ronin.

Supposedly I go to watch it this evening with my coworkers. I actually want to give the ticket to somebody else and go to check a motorbike in Taoyuan :smiley:

the movie was pretty well made. The action keeps you captivated. its not a bad flick. –

No real desire to watch this, even though all of Taiwan is loving how it was shot here. It kinda looks like if The Matrix and Limitless had a baby, this would be the end product. I’ll wait for the bluray. As far as it being racist? As a Taiwanese-American, why would I be offended that they couldn’t find someone from Taiwan on the same level as a Korean? If the Korean has the better acting skills, then its only smart to choose him over all the Taiwanese actors who “still need more work”. Should I have been offended when Chris Rock gestured “Doooooo youuuu understaaaand the wooooords that are comingouttamymouth?” to Jackie Chan in Rush Hour? It is what it is. What are the chances of a taxi driver here speaking english without being at gunpoint anyways?

I think the locals here are just excited that Taiwan was chosen by Hollywood instead of Korea or China or Japan or any of the other Asian countries they could have chosen.

It’s actually great in Taiwan how many taxi drivers do speak English. In my country, I can’t imagine many speaking languages other than English and/or their heritage languages.

I wouldn’t be surprised they would know English. However, because I look like a local, they automatically expect me to know how to tell them where I want to go in Chinese…

I’d imagine they are a lot more open and willing to use their limited English with non-ABC foreigners…

I wouldn’t be surprised they would know English. However, because I look like a local, they automatically expect me to know how to tell them where I want to go in Chinese…

I’d imagine they are a lot more open and willing to use their limited English with non-ABC foreigners…[/quote]

Obviously. White people are all Americans. It can be a real pain in the arse though, if you have other stuff going on.

I met a lot of English-speaking taxi drivers in Bangkok in 1998 after the financial crisis. Really fluent speakers who had lost their jobs and businesses and were now driving taxis. People do it for all sorts of reasons.

[quote=“Cola”]

white woman literally kills an Asian guy because he can’t speak english. LITERALLY. how should i feel as an Asian woman? this guy could be so many other people I know in real life who can’t speak english. i could imagine it be my father or other people I know. but no, it’s okay, because she’s a woman. because it looks badass.

she isn’t even in the USA or any other english- speaking state. bUt nO OF COURSE YOU ALL HAVE TO SPEAK ENGLISH.[/quote]

this proves that even if one’s brain is working at 45% capacity, it is still too hard to learn Chinese.

[quote=“Cola”]I have not seen the movie yet, so I cannot say. But news reports and NYTimes review say: (so why was Taipei mayor so full of praise for a movie that might have been racist towards Asians and Taiwanese in particular? Did he even see the movie? If anyone has seen it, please tell me I am wrong and that is not racist at all and the casting of the Korean actor was no problem at all, just as Germans can play Frenchmen in movies and Italians can play Spaniards, so why can’t a Korean pass for a Taiwanese gangster in a bit of Hollywood summer fluff/fun?

1. NYT review: last grafs: ''This is, after all, a movie that, stripped of its gimmick, comes down to a white woman being chased by hordes of Asian men. Mr. Besson’s thoughtlessness in this regard reaches an early nadir when Lucy shoots a Taiwanese man, nominally because he doesn’t speak English — a death that’s played for laughs. The scene’s vulgarity recalls Indiana Jones’s jokily shooting a sword-wielding Arab in “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” proving yet again that what looks new in Mr. Besson’s work is invariably old.

nytimes.com/2014/07/25/movie … .html?_r=0

1. In an interview with local Taipei Chinese-speaking press the other day, Luc Besson said he cast South Korean actor Choi Min-sik instead of a Taiwanese actor as the villain — Mr Jang — because Choi was the better choice, saying that Taiwanese actors still have “a little work to do” to reach Choi’s level of performance, the director said. *** QUESTION: if Besson had taken the time for auditions, he could have found a good actor in Taiwan to play the role of a Taiwanese character in the movie, no? Or is this the Western/Hollywood view of things: all Asians look alike meme and who cares? Just as they cast Chinese actresses to play Japanese geishas in the movie MEMORIES OF A GEISHA a few years ago, which had Japanese fans up in anger over the slight.[/quote]

Yes, everything is racist.

I lean left, but Liberals are driving me fucking crazy.

It is a fun ridiculous movie, why can’t people leave it at that. "Oh but Deuce, she shoots a cabbie for not speaking English! :astonished: " yeah, and there are 100 other over the top things that happened in the movie.

fucking non-story, left wing sel-fellating bullshit, surprised HuffPo didn’t use this underwear stain of a story as news.

[quote=“Cola”]I have not seen the movie yet, so I cannot say. But news reports and NYTimes review say: (so why was Taipei mayor so full of praise for a movie that might have been racist towards Asians and Taiwanese in particular? Did he even see the movie? If anyone has seen it, please tell me I am wrong and that is not racist at all and the casting of the Korean actor was no problem at all, just as Germans can play Frenchmen in movies and Italians can play Spaniards, so why can’t a Korean pass for a Taiwanese gangster in a bit of Hollywood summer fluff/fun?

1. NYT review: last grafs: ''This is, after all, a movie that, stripped of its gimmick, comes down to a white woman being chased by hordes of Asian men. Mr. Besson’s thoughtlessness in this regard reaches an early nadir when Lucy shoots a Taiwanese man, nominally because he doesn’t speak English — a death that’s played for laughs. The scene’s vulgarity recalls Indiana Jones’s jokily shooting a sword-wielding Arab in “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” proving yet again that what looks new in Mr. Besson’s work is invariably old.

nytimes.com/2014/07/25/movie … .html?_r=0

1. In an interview with local Taipei Chinese-speaking press the other day, Luc Besson said he cast South Korean actor Choi Min-sik instead of a Taiwanese actor as the villain — Mr Jang — because Choi was the better choice, saying that Taiwanese actors still have “a little work to do” to reach Choi’s level of performance, the director said. *** QUESTION: if Besson had taken the time for auditions, he could have found a good actor in Taiwan to play the role of a Taiwanese character in the movie, no? Or is this the Western/Hollywood view of things: all Asians look alike meme and who cares? Just as they cast Chinese actresses to play Japanese geishas in the movie MEMORIES OF A GEISHA a few years ago, which had Japanese fans up in anger over the slight.[/quote]

Yes, everything is racist.

I lean left, but Liberals are driving me fucking crazy.

It is a fun ridiculous movie, why can’t people leave it at that. "Oh but Deuce, she shoots a cabbie for not speaking English! :astonished: " yeah, and there are 100 other over the top things that happened in the movie.

fucking non-story, left wing self-fellating bullshit, surprised HuffPo didn’t use this underwear stain of a story as news.

It’s important to note the Korean guy actually plays a Korean guy.

But it’s more important to note: Who cares. You hit the nail on the head. White people play white people. It doesn’t matter what country they’re from. I’m thinking “Highlander,” where the Scottish guy is played by a Frenchman and the Spanish guy (who it turns out is secretly ancient Egyptian) is played by a Scotsman.

There was a minor Korean-American actress who defended playing pan-Asian characters some time ago on that exact same argument. She contended it’s more important to give Asian actors a bigger mainstream presence than to bicker over Koreans playing Chinese and Japanese playing Vietnamese, etc. She sounded like a smart one. Too bad I can’t remember who/where/what.

It’s important to note the Korean guy actually plays a Korean guy.[/quote]
xDDDDDDDDDDDD

So what the fuck are the complaining about this time? They hate Korean people so much that they don’t even want Koreans to have an important role as a bad guy in a movie? Real bad guys like the idiot in the bus incident must be a foreigner even if he’s Taiwanese, but when it comes to movies, the bad guy has to be a Taiwanese xD

Not everyone can be as flexible as Cliff Curtis. :slight_smile:

I just hope audiences realize Russell Crowe is a New Zealander.