Was Mohammad a Pedophile?

The “discoverer” of Secret Mark had previously written a monograph speculating that Jesus was perhaps a homosexual ritual magician. (The author himself was gay.) Lo and behold, he discovers an ancient text which says exactly that–a letter by Clement of Alexandria, copied down into the pages of another book in the library of Mar Saba (a Christian monastery in Palestine). But we can’t get a look at this book, because it has disappeared. We just have the photos which this guy took. Anything in this story sound suspicious to you? :noway:

I recommend Donald Harman Akenson’s two books on the Bible. “Surpassing Wonder” has a piece about Secret Mark in the footnotes. “Saint Saul” puts it into the body of the text.

As far as Muhammad being warlike, I would say that he did what he had to do, to protect himself and his people in a country that had no government and little protection for those without family connections. Thanks to him, this changed. Jesus lived in an entirely different setting (an occupied country). His attitude toward war is not really fleshed out, but he is recorded as having used violence against foreign exchange dealers whose activities he disapproved of.[/quote]

Wow, SJ. you are well-versed in religious history and literature. I am truly impressed. :bravo:

I find it interesting that no one has brought up Mary whose age has ranged from 9 to 16 in various texts. It’s one thing for Mohammed to have been a pedophile in modern context, but by the same right, you’d have to accuse God of the same. Or doesn’t it work that way?

In any case, it’s silly to apply modern ethics to people who lived thousands of years before under very different circumstances.

Thank you for your kind words, ImanIOU

The only place I remember an age being assigned to Mary was the Protevangelion Jacobi (Infancy Gospel of James), where it is given as 16, if memory serves. This is a very late apocryphal work–no reason to accept it as gospel, so to speak.

Of course you must be aware that Mary’s impregnation is not held to have occured by means of sex with God (or anyone else).

So easy to forget how recent our views toward the age of consent have developed. I believe the age of consent in New York was only 10 or so up until the 1900s. Partially because this resulted in rampant child prostitution, progressive era reforms of the early 1900s led to redefining statutory rape and more vigorous enforcement.

Hard to judge Jesus and Mohammed if you ask me. Heck, Socrates was busy having his way with young boys, and he’s one of the greats of enlightened Western civilization. A different time, a different set of sexual mores…