Wash Your Gym Clothes

Come on people, wash your gym clothes. Disgusting smell you are carrying around. I’m on a different machine and it’s just stinky rank putrid…

And it’s not healthy and spreads germs and bacteria to surfaces and the air in the gym.

You sure it’s just their clothes and not the person themselves stinking?

2 Likes

Probably this; “stale Chinese” is quite putrid. I complain to the staff when somebody is smelling up part of the gym, and/or make excessive displays of covering my nose with my shirt or making a towel bandana.

What the fuck is stale Chinese? We’re not in China Dorothy.

5 Likes

Can’t speak for gyms, but when kid was in her school track team, they never made the students change clothes, or shower. So I’d pick her up, and she <><><><> well, she smelt pretty rank all the way home.

Seems that changing into sports kit (or changing out of it again at the end) isn’t that normal here.

1 Like

That explains a lot. I avoid getting on buses at 4pm (when they’re flooded with schoolkids) because several days a week they seem to do sports, and they stink.

My understanding is that that synthetic stuff retains odor much more than cotton… that bacteria doesn’t survive in cotton but does so in that synthetic stuff

To really get rid of the odor in synthetics, soaking in vinegar before washing has worked for me… but obviously, it’s not as simple as just “wash your gym clothes”

Going back to cotton is not really an option IMO. I suppose it’s fine if your idea of working out is walking on the treadmill at 3km/hr while chatting on the phone.

1 Like

Is not only at the Gym , it can also be when you play other sports or outdoor activities
I see some people don’t change clothes after do exercise , because think they don’t sweat a lot as well don’t want to wash extra clothes at home

But sometimes clothes can smell bad after you washed them

People wash clothes in cold water in Taiwan. That means that sweat and odor get trapped in the fibers. Especially in the arm pit area. We all know that feeling of putting on a clean old tshirt and then realizing after five minutes in the heat that you already stink.

1 Like

My personal experience was two foreigners just arrived in the gym and their/your clothes smell like hell. It was not body odor although that could have contributed.

People were looking.

Do they? My family doesn’t. I don’t think I even have a cold water option on my machine.

Say what? That’s unheard of in my circles. Do you live on Renai Rd sec four?

Most machines don’t have hot water coming to the machine in the first place no matter what the machine setting is…

2 Likes

No, no. We middle class folk.

Few apartments even have hot water in the laundry area, but better washing machines can heat their own water. I always use the hot water, two cups of baking soda in the drum, and I fill the fabric softener dispenser with white vinegar. Then I use a dryer.
Not using the dryer is a big reason so many people have smelly clothes.

2 Likes

To be fair I have never actually felt the water pouring into the machine with my hand. It could be cold for all I know. But I’ve also never had a problem with smelly laundry. As I’ve said before, I wash my clothes in the Persil sauce then hang them to dry in a hermetically sealed room with a dedicated dehumidifier.

1 Like

I’ve also seen some large solar powered exhaust fans put on enclosed balconies that really lower humidity. Dripping wet to dry in five or six hours. One of our glass roof panels was broken when an AC installer dropped his utility knife. It only cracked the first pane, so I don’t need to really replace it, but I think I’ll get one of those fans to replace the glass so that I can air dry some things in summer.

Some foreigners have trouble figuring out how to manage their laundry effectively in this country. I think that’s why my coworker smells so offensive.

Completely unnecessary in the summer. On a hot sunny day in July I can hang my clothes in the windowsill and they’re baked dry in 2 hours.

Our enclosed balconies use solar glass to keep out heat, but humidity is still around 70%. They are big too, about 12 pings. Clothes will dry overnight for sure, but I still would like to lower humidity more.

Well there’s your problem right there. Too much technology. All you have to do is hang up your clothes on a metal bar outside. Clothes dry in nearly no time and they smell deliciously of sunlight.

1 Like