Washing the Car

I have a car, it works, we go places in it with the family, I love it. But it gets dirty, I really need to wash more often then I do, and perhaps wax it. But the trouble living in an apartment block is that it’s difficult to find a spot to wash the car. I have tried the places that wash and wax your car, but they never do a decent job.

So, any ideas or recommendations on where to wash a car. All I really need is a flat area with access to water.

Thanks in advance.

There are many self-service car washes. Search Google Maps for “自助洗車” near where you live. Bring a lot of 10 TWD coins. Might also be worth it to have a sponge and/or cleaning cloths if the car is really dirty.

Please don’t wash you car on the streets where the water goes in the storm drain. That water goes into the rivers, oceans and other bodies of water in Taiwan. It doesn’t go into water sewage treatment center. All that chemicals, and oils from the bottom of your car from washing it is bad for the environment. I wish they educate people in taiwan about this. Lots of food places dump their waste into the gutters things like that. Find a car wash that recycles the water or has a system that hooks into the pipes. Keep Taiwan beautiful! :slight_smile:

Haha, find a DIY car wash that recycles that water…good luck with that. This is a government problem, not an educate the people problem in my opinion.

Haha, find a DIY car wash that recycles that water…good luck with that. This is a government problem, not an educate the people problem in my opinion.[/quote]

no it’s a educational issue. All storm drains go through rivers, lakes, oceans ect anywhere in the world. How would the gov fix this, the cost and the feasibility of having storm drain run off going into a sewage treatment facility is almost impossible. Especially in a place where thats has 3-5 typhoons come a year with flash floods often.

Haha, find a DIY car wash that recycles that water…good luck with that. This is a government problem, not an educate the people problem in my opinion.[/quote]

no it’s a educational issue. All storm drains go through rivers, lakes, oceans ect anywhere in the world. How would the gov fix this, the cost and the feasibility of having storm drain run off going into a sewage treatment facility is almost impossible. Especially in a place where thats has 3-5 typhoons come a year with flash floods often.[/quote]

While I sympathize with the sentiment, the grot from cars ends up in the water or the soil one way or another; it doesn’t really matter whether you wash it off or not. What we can really do with is fewer motor vehicles, and fewer badly-designed cities that disrupt natural water runoff patterns and therefore have expensive, pointless storm drains. There are entire threads about that …

[quote=“Andrew0409”]

no it’s a educational issue. All storm drains go through rivers, lakes, oceans ect anywhere in the world. How would the gov fix this, the cost and the feasibility of having storm drain run off going into a sewage treatment facility is almost impossible. Especially in a place where thats has 3-5 typhoons come a year with flash floods often.[/quote]

I understand what you mean, but to be honest it comes down to both. The government could easily do a few things. Just on the top of my head, they could impose laws that come with HUGE fines. Also, they have inspectors come in. If a gas station or a company wants a car wash then they must install a water recycling system before it can be used. Same can go to restaurants so they properly dispose of their waste.

Off subject, but look at the traffic problems in TW. I mean the lack of safely. People running red lights, not using turn signals, driving up on sidewalks, going the wrong way on the street and not wearing helmets…just to name a few. Do you think that is an educational problem? Well I would say they weren’t properly educated when they got their licenses in the first place for sure. But really, why isn’t the government giving these people fines? For example, in some other countries if you run a red light it can cost 15,000-30,000nt and then you have to attend driving school again for a weekend. If you do it again you lose your license for a year. My point is that if the government would do it’s job too it would help out. Give out tickets…make the fine astronomically high, then people won’t do stupid shit to endanger other people or the environment.

Not to make light of traffic safety, but I’ve lived in a couple major cities and it’s all about the same in terms of how people drive. But i guess the gov can do more. But I don’t think most people know about water pollution from storm drains, even people in environmentally friendly countries. However, I do believe at some point, we need to take personal responsibility and not always depend on the gov for everything.

If runoff from washing a car were of concern (which I find impossible to take seriously. having looked at some Taiwanese rivers) you can park on grass rather than Tarmac. The soil will filter and break down the detergents used. I have done this occasionally for water conservation reasons rather than any concern for pollution. But I don’t wash my car very often

Stumbled on this big self-service car wash the other day in Taipei. Big enough stalls to wash a hummer and small enough to wash a mini-cooper.