Wasn't cigarette advertising banned?

I thought that cigarette advertisements were banned a while back.

It seems Taiwanese magazines are still full of ads for various cigarette brands. So what’s the deal? Were they actually banned or is enforcement of the ban just lax beyond belief?

50% of Taiwanese men smoke - that adds up to a lot of dead people down the road, not to mention the 2nd hand smoke the rest of us have to breathe. I reckon the g’ment should pull its finger out and enforce the ban or put one in place if it was never there in the first place.

[quote=“Spack”]I thought that cigarette advertisements were banned a while back.

It seems Taiwanese magazines are still full of ads for various cigarette brands. So what’s the deal? Were they actually banned or is enforcement of the ban just lax beyond belief?[/quote]

Taiwan law does not ban, but does strictly limit promotion and advertising of tobacco products. The relevant law, the Tobacco Hazards Prevention Act, restricts magazine advertisements to 120 ads per year per brand. Moreover, magazines in which tobacco ads appear must not be of a type that are targeted at consumers of minority age. Also, advertisements in magazines must contain one of several Department of Health warnings printed in a type of a size prescribed by law.

Tobacco products may not be promoted with any literature, posters, flyers, etc…, with the exception of such items placed within sight of the place where tobacco products are sold and the above-said magazine exception. Direct mailings and branded questionnaires and surveys are prohibited.

Promoting tobacco products by giving away gifts with the sale of tobacco is also prohibited, unless such gifts have a value of less than one-quarter the value of the tobacco product.

The ‘Mild Seven Times’ watch campaign was a bit OTT eh? Did they ever actually put any watches on the market?

tigerman - thanks for your answer. I’m impressed with the factual content. I expected to just get a bunch of flames from irrate smokers defending their right to smoke themselves to death etc etc.

It would appear from your reply that the THP Act is piss weak and therefore ineffective. ‘They’ should give it more teeth. I read that in Canada, all cig packs now have to carry a large picture of a man lying on a hospital bed hooked up to a ventilator. Smokers who don’t want to look at the grim picture can buy decorative covers for their cig packs!

Are the bimbos who go from club to club shoving their brands in your face and not taking a quick hint that you don’t want their fags, illegal too?

I would prefer it if packets of fags went from club to club shoving bimbos in my face.

If they are wearing branded uniforms, like the beer girls and Suntory girls do, yes, that would be a violation of the Tobacco Health Prevention Act.

Taiwan recently changed its system for administering tobacco products. The new system for production, importation and sale of tobacco and alcohol was previously managed under the

Tigerman - We’re impressed with your detailed knowledge. How do you know all this?

So, next time, that means I can tell the bimbos with glittered cheeks and over-tweezed eyebrows to bugger off or I’ll call the cops?

Right…as if…
:unamused:

[quote=“Alien”]So, next time, that means I can tell the bimbos with glittered cheeks and over-tweezed eyebrows to bugger off or I’ll call the cops?

Right…as if…
:unamused:[/quote]

It would probably be more effective to call the Department of Health and report the activities. The DOH is very aggressive and does not take kindly to efforts to circumvent the THPA.

Well, the ones in the white plastic dresses were DAVIDOFF and the one in the red jacket and hotpants was MARLBORO.
Could you supply the number for the DOH, or pass the information on, please?

I found it most annoying because:

1. They were trying to pressure the folks with me, who were NONsmokers to buy fags.

2. Pressure me to buy some as well. Everyone knows that fag smokers are brand loyalists. What do they hope to accomplish?

3. 5 of them infiltrated my regular pub which wouldn’t have had enough room for one of them.

4. When my bf asked if they themselves smoked, they just did the giggly coy thing and said, ‘not really.’

and

1. Had not an inch of fat on the lot of them.

Unless the info has changed, DOH may be contacted at the following:

Tel.: 2321-0151 / Fax: 2312-2907

I always end up having some variation on this conversation with those girls:

Girl: Would you like to try our cigarettes?

Me: Sure! (I take the pack)

Girl: (Worried look) They’re NT$70 a pack

Me: Ha, ha your’re funny.

Girl: No, really.

Me: But I don’t smoke this brand.

Girl: You should try it!

Me: Let me get this staight. You want me to pay double what I usually pay for the first fix? Don’t ever try to deal crack, honey. Haven’t you ever seen an after-school special. You are supposed to get me addicted before you start charging so I will be a loyal customer.

Girl: 70Nt is not that expensive.

Me: It isn’t if you take off your top.

Girl: What?!

Me: I’ll buy a pack if you take off your top.

Girl: Your’re crazy!

Me: I’m not crazy. You come into a bar to sell me cigarettes with nothing to recommend them except for the fact that you’re in a skirt. Frankly, its not enough. I’m just saying that if you want to sell something with sex, I need more. Remember my face so next time you will know my offer if you really want me to buy some cigarettes.

I haven’t had to many “appoaches” after a couple of these conversations.

An excellent approach. In my day they gave the ciggies out free. There were queues in fact. NT$70 a pack is ridiculous. For that money in Thailand you can see a girl smok…ARGH! my wife just hit me