Watch out when backing up in a car!

Yesterday was a fantastic day for riding. So we headed out early and met up with some friends along the way. We stopped for lunch in a quiet town. The bikes were parked alongside the front of the restaurant well out of harms way…well, that’s what we thought…A woman (sorry to be specific as it could have also been a guy) was backing out of a rather large lot next to the restaurant, and she obviously didn’t know the size of her as she managed to hit the bike at the end of the row, a Z1000. The “Z” just tipped over and fell against the next bike, which was a mint GSXR-100K4. The “Z”'s handlebar end came down on the GSXR’s tank and punctured it, leaving a great big hole which was leaking gas…bummer.

The woman car driver didn’t make it far and she came back. The owner of the bike yelled at her a bit but soon realised that she was cooperating and willing to pay for the damages, which were well in excess of 20k. A patch job a la “MacGuyver” was done with Taiwanese industrial strength chewing gum in order to prevent any fuel from leaking and possibly catching fire…

The lesson: No matter how or where you park your machine, there will always be idiots who don’t look or care when maneouvering around bikes. Just look for the safest spot and keep your eyes on your bike because I’m sure it would’ve been a greater bummer to get a hit and run.

Here are a few pics of the hole and temporary repair…

a bummer for Mr.X who owns the bike, but quite funny in hindsight… funniest part is that their first attempt at a solution for plugging the hole was… binglang!.. :laughing: … only after repeated failed attempts at various nut only, nut with leaf, rolled leaves only combinations did they abondon the binglang and accept my chewing gum solution… wasn’t sure the gas wouldn’t melt the gum and end up getting sugar and crap in the injector nozzles, fuel filter etc. but anyway…

knowing Mr.X that’ll probably be a permanent fix!.. :laughing:

[quote=“skylarkpuma”]

The lesson: No matter how or where you park your machine, there will always be idiots who don’t look or care when maneouvering around bikes. Just look for the safest spot and keep your eyes on your bike because I’m sure it would’ve been a greater bummer to get a hit and run. [/quote]

My bike got hit twice in one month…parked in the country in front of convenience stores. Places with very little traffic…and a large empty area to park. Not cars though with blind spots…but scooters. One was a guy backing up his scooter and he hit the CBR hard enough to tip it over towards the side with the sidestand. I never realized scooters had blindspots.

The other time was when a girl’s purse got stuck in her handle bars and she somehow opened the throttle to full and couldn’t untwist her wrist to turn it off. My bike was the only bike parked facing the 7-11 wall. And she chose my soft rubber tire over hitting the wall. Pushed my bike a couple of feet into the wall and then she did a burnout while screaming…I thought she was trying to make fun of how I ride…

I wouldn’t be very relaxed if I had an expensive machine like that parked anywhere in this country. I wouldn’t sleep if it was parked outside.

Bummer about that bike.

I had to replace the tank on my fzr because some neighborhood kid thought it was fun to take flying leaps to the saddle when it was parked. I caught him doing it after he had allready damaged it. I had a few words. I think he got it.

Wo de!

Ni ting de dong, ma?

An old neighborhood lady thought it was funny and cackled something at him in Taiwanese.