Water - the new oil?

Hi all,

Seeking the advise of the business sages of Forumosa. I’ve recently come accross an excellent supply of quality water from NZ. This company has inroads into China and Malaysia at the moment but has not considered Taiwan, or more to the point has not made any contacts for sales into Taiwan.

The company has capacity for 2 containers a day - total business including domestic. This possibly rules out 7-eleven and other such chains that have high volume… or does it?

What would be the best way to attack this?
I’ve tried through contacts in other food industry in Taiwan and been told that it could be a good seller in Taiwan, but I haven’t had any bites as yet.

I’m taking a step back at the moment to evaluate the situation and would like some advice from the business minds out there. I can P.M the company website to anyone that needs more info.

Water high in all the good minerals etc. Bottled and labelled (possible with own brand).

NZ Trade and Econ office in TPE?

That’s a good suggestion, one that should have been obvious but didn’t even spring to mind.

That’s a good suggestion, one that should have been obvious but didn’t even spring to mind.[/quote]

Spring to mind…hahahaha…spring…water…get it?

I saw some rich families only drank mineral water. They bought boxes of mineral water from France like they did for red wine. Maybe you could think about how to target them.

That’s a reasonable market in Taiwan I would say. I think what I would be looking for is someone with vision to take a good product and then market / sell it on themselves for whatever they can get for it with a good profit.

It’s also possible to have their own labels designed with their own brand on the bottles.

Ideally it would be people that think they could do well with a good product at a good price and run with it.

Or those with feedback or suggestions on how to work around the usual issues with such a venture for Taiwan.

That is a fantastic idea though. Boxes of water, however many bottles per box, pre packaged and sold to the rich for health benefits. I do like that. Hmmmm, something to ponder.

Be careful, there is looking to be some kind of blowback on water this year, as people begin to assess the madness of packaging and shipping water around the planet.

[quote]The Bottled Water Backlash

By Michael Blanding, AlterNet. Posted October 19, 2007.
The bottled water industry is on the defensive as restaurant owners and cities are canceling their bottled water contracts and advocating for tap. Tools
At Bella Luna Restaurant in Boston’s funky Jamaica Plain neighborhood, you’ll find star-shaped paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling and gourmet pizzas named after Red Sox players. Downstairs, the attached Milky Way Lounge & Lanes boasts a seven-lane bowling alley and a Latin dance night on Saturdays.

But there is one thing you won’t find at either venue: bottled water.

The pledge caps a summer of organizing that has seen the backlash against bottled water go mainstream. Bella Luna isn’t the only restaurant to ban bottled water from its menu. The movement burst into public view this spring when chef Alice Waters, the godmother of “California cuisine,” nixed bottled water from her Berkeley, Calif., restaurant Chez Panisse. Soon after, Food Network favorite Mario Batali followed suit at his empire of restaurants including Manhattan’s swish Del Posto, serving filtered tap water in glasses etched with information on the harmful environmental impact of bottled water[/quote]

HG

I agree with the convict. Perhaps you should be looking into the agricultural Holy Grail - non-farting cows.

Sex sells. Shape that bottle right, and it will find its niche. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Be careful, there is looking to be some kind of blowback on water this year, as people begin to assess the madness of packaging and shipping water around the planet.

[quote]The Bottled Water Backlash

By Michael Blanding, AlterNet. Posted October 19, 2007.
The bottled water industry is on the defensive as restaurant owners and cities are canceling their bottled water contracts and advocating for tap. Tools
At Bella Luna Restaurant in Boston’s funky Jamaica Plain neighborhood, you’ll find star-shaped paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling and gourmet pizzas named after Red Sox players. Downstairs, the attached Milky Way Lounge & Lanes boasts a seven-lane bowling alley and a Latin dance night on Saturdays.

But there is one thing you won’t find at either venue: bottled water.

The pledge caps a summer of organizing that has seen the backlash against bottled water go mainstream. Bella Luna isn’t the only restaurant to ban bottled water from its menu. The movement burst into public view this spring when chef Alice Waters, the godmother of “California cuisine,” nixed bottled water from her Berkeley, Calif., restaurant Chez Panisse. Soon after, Food Network favorite Mario Batali followed suit at his empire of restaurants including Manhattan’s swish Del Posto, serving filtered tap water in glasses etched with information on the harmful environmental impact of bottled water[/quote]

HG[/quote]

I would probably be the same way in NZ, I would never buy bottled water here because most bottled water is the same as I get out of the tap. The city where I live has some of the best tap water in the world.

As far as the water market goes, we are talking about Taiwan. Taiwan is not exactly one to follow environmental trends. Taiwan also does not have a lot of options available for quality water. Rerverse Osmosis water available in Taiwan barely even resembles water as it’s stripped of goodness - and the bad stuff too.

Although, it would be interesting to understand just how bad the water is in Taiwan out of the tap.

[quote=“Bassman”]
As far as the water market goes, we are talking about Taiwan. Taiwan is not exactly one to follow environmental trends. [/quote]

Not exactly, it’s forbidden to use any bottled water in any offices belong to and events sponsored by Tainan city goverment since Jan 1st. If there’s some kind of blowback on bottled water, Taiwan would be in. It’s maybe better to consider the market in other ways, like shipping water in barrels or big containers and providing it in reusable glass bottles to resturants, something like that.

[quote=“wufenpu”][quote=“Bassman”]
As far as the water market goes, we are talking about Taiwan. Taiwan is not exactly one to follow environmental trends. [/quote]

Not exactly, it’s forbidden to use any bottled water in any offices belong to and events sponsored by Tainan city goverment since Jan 1st. If there’s some kind of blowback on bottled water, Taiwan would be in. It’s maybe better to consider the market in other ways, like shipping water in barrels or big containers and providing it in reusable glass bottles to resturants, something like that.[/quote]

Ah, that must be why I have heard that RO water machines are springing up all over the place.

I guess I will have to really investigate what is happeing now.

Wow, ya’ll are great.

I recall that there is some very mad idea from a big listed Taiwan company - is it Taiwan Fertiliser? (they;re actually better known as a property cvompany now) - something about getting water from some deep trench off Taiwan and desalinating the stuff. They also have some plan for a vast health/spa water park I think in Hualien.

Ah yes, my memory is good.

[quote]Taiwan Fertilizer to promote deep-sea water and condensed salt
06/15/2007 (CENS)
Taiwan Fertilizer Co., a leading fertilizer manufacturer in Taiwan, is going to market its newly-developed deep-sea drinking water in the second half this month, branding the bottled water “Taiwan Yes.” It is estimated that the market value for such deep-sea water would reach NT$1.5 billion (US$45.45 million at NT$1 = NT$33) per year.

In addition to the deep-sea water, Taiwan Fertilizer is planning to produce condensed salt, debuting it early next year. The condensed salt contains more than 80 microelements, including magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, etc. Actually, Japan developed such condensed salt more than 20 years ago, which is called “Nigari” in Japan and is mainly used in the cosmetic and medical sectors.

To make condensed salt, Taiwan Fertilizer has recently installed some sophisticated facilities in its plant at Hualian, a seaport in eastern Taiwan. A senior executive of the company disclosed that the salt would be distilled from water drawn 600 meters below sea level near Hualian, and that the product would be targeted at upscale consumers and Japanese tourists.[/quote]

HG