Watersheds Lounge

This is a great place, with good people, good music, and a good, personal vibe. They make good drinks (Try the Concubine Yang, a mix of lychee liqueur, cranberry juice and vodka) This place is also one of the few places I’ve seen to put the directions and street names on its business card completely in Hanyu Pinyin. Obviously trendsetters!
They’re located on #123 Wenchang Street, just behind the firehouse on Anhe Road, south of the Xinyi/Anhe intersection.

Good post, Maoman.
Though, I would like to comment that anyone who wishes to enjoy Watershed’s unique atmosphere should bear in mind that it is very small and intimate, and gay-friendly, but not exclusive. The owner, Xiao Luo, is a top guy whose one of my dearest friends in Taipei, and I wouldn’t like to see our favourite Taipei hang out taken over by folks who may be more suited for the ‘action’ at Spin or 99.

Not knocking your views Maoman, as I respect you from some of your previous postings, but… I always feel the Watershed has some pretty obnoxious people, especially fat cat expats (or wannabes) that were there the few times I went in. Personally think the place can be a bit pretentious and Aliens comments back up that view. What the hell do you mean by ‘I wouldn’t like to see our favourite Taipei hang out taken over by folks who may be more suited for the ‘action’ at Spin or 99’ ? What type of 'folks’are they? What type of 'Folk’are you? Are you one of the wanabes, or just superior to everyone else? What an asshole…

quote[quote]I always feel the Watershed has some pretty obnoxious people, especially fat cat expats (or wannabes) that were there the few times I went in. [/quote]

Well, you must have gone to the wrong place, so why go back?

No, definitely the right place. I go back because there are a limited number of bars in this city and I like a bit of variety. Never said I hated the place simply pointed out a couple of drawbacks to it, people like you being one of them. So maybe you’d like to answer the question of the ‘Folk’ you were talking about, especially as you’re supposed to be an impartial moderator of another forum on here, although your comments about it being ‘your’ forum say a lot about you.

Thanks, Equaliser. But as I know there are tons of nightlife spots in Taipei, in fact, a seemingly an infinite number of them…

The regulars at Watersheds are happy with the ambience and enjoy the crowd who goes there. I’m sorry you feel differently. Maybe a weeknight might be more enjoyable for you at first as business is usually slower and it’s more likely you can make new acquaintances. I recommend sitting upstairs at the bar and getting to know Timmy and Xiao Luo. They’re wonderful guys!!!

Why do you think a moderator has to remain ‘impartial’? This is not in the rule book, as I know. They must have chosen the wrong person for the job if Alien is expected not to offer her opinions here. (reminds me of a seinfeld episode where the guy talks in third person about himself)

Thanks…? For?
Maybe our super moderator would be adult enough to now either explain what type of 'folks’she was talking about, or apologise for the comment.
I would think impartiallity would be pretty important for a moderator, or maybe they really have chosen the wrong person for the job.
Infinite number of bars in the city? Maybe if you’re from outer Mongolia you might think so.

Oh, Equaliser, you’re just trying to bear bait Alien, right?

Listen, the Watershed’s is a nice place. I find the people who go there interesting, intelligent, multi-cultural, fun, creative and enthusiastic about living in Taiwan. I was only trying to say that it’s not really a place that sees a lot of action like some other clubs, and it’s pretty small and yes, maybe even, clique-ish. If you misconstrued what I meant, and feel this place is none of the above, maybe you’re being a wee bit defensive.

As for Alien or other moderators being impartial, well, on this forum, if you’ll look, I am not a moderator, I’m a member, like you. Besides, we’re not BOTS, like other UBBs may have, we’re real people who live in Taiwan, and who have interests, opinions, ideas and lives.

There are lots of night spots in Taipei. I’m wondering where you live and how long you’ve been here, but even that little street that Watersheds is on has about three. Then going further down AnHo, you can find loads! Going up Hsin yi, even more. Down around Jenai and Chung xiao area, more…In fact, in that vicinity alone, I could probably list about 25.

Alien knows lots of people and is always meeting more, so just come up and say ‘hi’ to her if you see her out, don’t jump down her throat for being an insensitive cow on Oriented!! (whine)
ok? peace? ok? alien rubs equaliser’s head…

sometimes emoticons just don’t get the point across…

quote:
Originally posted by TheEqualiser: Thanks....? For? I would think impartiallity would be pretty important for a moderator, or maybe they really have chosen the wrong person for the job. Infinite number of bars in the city? Maybe if you're from outer Mongolia you might think so.

I don’t agree that impartiality is important for a moderator. As long as the moderator does her job, which seems to be essentially making sure everyone plays by the rules and providing new topics if needed, why should she be resitricted from expressing her opinions? That’s what these forums are all about. On the other hand, if the opinions are so offensive as to turn visitors away, that’s obviously not a good thing. Don’t want to Alienate all those 99ers out there.

The number of bars in Taipei may not be infinite, but it’s hard to find a city block without at least a couple. Most are small, and each has it’s own flavor. The ambiance at Spin is obviously different from that of the Watershed. The impression I got from Alien’s post was that the Watershed is not a disco/meet market, and that she would prefer not to see it turn into one. Though I agree that classifying someone as being more suited for action at Spin is uncalled for–almost as bad as the comment about obnoxious fat cat expat wannabes.

I don’t see a problem with having different crowds at different nightspots. Watershed might just attract a different kind of patron than 99. Alien’s allowed her opinion just like anyone else. I’ve been known to say I hate the crowds at TU and Spin before. I’d rather go to someplace where I can sit down and drink and talk with friends, like Watershed or Peso, which is a lot closer to me as well as bigger than Watershed. Peso is closer to Shida, though, so it tends to attract more “I study Chinese at Shida. Where do you study?” types whereas Watershed and the pubs in that area tend to cater more to the “So how much is Company X paying you?” types.

I think I will go there this week! All this chatter has got me interested…

The watershed. Nice. I was there with Maoman about two weeks ago and had a nice time. Main detractors? Prices higher than the feigned shrill screams of Chu Mei Fong and the venue is, putting it nicely, small. The ventillation downstairs is a jury-rigged fan that, after twenty minutes of sitting near it, left one of our friends in tears. The best reason to go? Maker’s Mark Whiskey. The only place in town I’ve seen it and sometimes they serve it in a rocks glass with one, giant bevel-sculpted ice cube. Mmmmmm, Maker’s Mark. . . . . . .

TheEqualizer says: “I go back because there are a limited number of bars in this city and I like a bit of variety.”
A limited number of bars in Taipei? Are you living in another dimention? There are hundreds of watering holes in the city. A couple of aquaintences of mine wrote a book on the 100 best a number of years ago.

Watersheds is definitely a nice place, and Concubine Yang is a must try. If you don’t like the crowd, then go a bit early and you will find yourself the only person there.

kk

When I saw the subject heading of ‘Watersheds’, I suspected there would be some good humour available, but I had no idea it was going to be this much fun. I’m with Equaliser: Watersheds is generally, but not always, full of pretentious types such as Alien, who so eloquently proved the point with her first posting. Mention the name ‘Watersheds’ in a public forum, and she rushes to keep out the supposed riff-raff, all in the name of her ‘dearest friend’ Xiao Luo, the owner. There you have it, folks, from one of the regulars: the kind of attitude you can expect when you walk into Watersheds.

So, Alien, are you ever going to answer the question? What type of ‘folks’ are ‘more suited for the “action” at Spin or 99’? And how do you explain the fact that I’ve seen your ‘dearest friend’ Xiao Luo at 99 on more than one occasion? Or was he just slumming?

You wouldn’t happen to be bitter, would you? Canadian?

If Alien is Canadian let the good lord strike her down on this spot and proclaim her skin
maple-leaf red!

Sadly, my ‘dear friend’ Xiao Luo is soon moving on to redder pastures himself…

I’m just amazed that one of the more drab and depressing places we’ve ever been to here in Taipei can cause such controversy. Keep it up, it’s good fun …

For Beer Lovers Only:

If you want to go out and try some great beers try Cafe Odeon. In the Shi Da area. Belgian selection of about 50 varieties. Prices reasonable.

It is a quiet and laid back place. Great if you want to hang out with friends, chat, and taste some great brews.

Watershed is so last year. Give me a break.
It is still hipper than 99, that’s for sure.

And Watershed also lacks those pathetic women (who still think this is Vietnam or something) dancing on the bar like in Carnegie, so it has that going for it. Speaking of Carnegie, I just wanted to laugh when they put the velvet rope in front of me and I had to wait to enter. Gotta keep that illusion up that it is somehow a hot, exclusive club.

Here’s why Carnegie’s sucks: You walk in and you think it might be a cool place. On the walls are posters for bands, many of whom I like: the Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Floyd, etc. But fat chance the DJ will ever play just one song from any of the artists that adorn the wall. Instead what you get is dance crap like Robbie Williams’